This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

savagelatte

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all - I know there are several posts in this vein - I feel insane but can't shake the desire to be a doctor and I'd love your feedback.

I'm 31. I did not get to go to college after high school - junior year I discovered my mother never registered me for a social security number (and subsequently had not paid taxes for 16+ years). She was a single parent and has Borderline Personality Disorder. She fell apart when I found out, lost her job shortly thereafter, and I worked and paid bills. She was an LPN in geriatrics prior to, so I grew up in nursing homes.

Fast forward to 27 - I made my way up to Talent Agent at a major entertainment agency in Los Angeles. Then I got married. A year after that, my husband asked me if I wanted to go back to school. I started a Design Certificate program at UCLA Extension. I'm now working as a designer at that same company.

I do not have a bachelor's degree. The credits from my Cert (60 total) at UCLAX can transfer, however. I would basically need to go to a CC for prereqs, then transfer into a 4 year for my ugrad degree before applying to medical school.

Can I do this? How do I do this? I have volunteered at Children's Hospital LA before - I should pick that up again, right? I'll need shadowing experience, too. Am I nuts?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all - I know there are several posts in this vein - I feel insane but can't shake the desire to be a doctor and I'd love your feedback.

I'm 31. I did not get to go to college after high school - junior year I discovered my mother never registered me for a social security number (and subsequently had not paid taxes for 16+ years). She was a single parent and has Borderline Personality Disorder. She fell apart when I found out, lost her job shortly thereafter, and I worked and paid bills. She was an LPN in geriatrics prior to, so I grew up in nursing homes.

Fast forward to 27 - I made my way up to Talent Agent at a major entertainment agency in Los Angeles. Then I got married. A year after that, my husband asked me if I wanted to go back to school. I started a Design Certificate program at UCLA Extension. I'm now working as a designer at that same company.

I do not have a bachelor's degree. The credits from my Cert (60 total) at UCLAX can transfer, however. I would basically need to go to a CC for prereqs, then transfer into a 4 year for my ugrad degree before applying to medical school.

Can I do this? How do I do this? I have volunteered at Children's Hospital LA before - I should pick that up again, right? I'll need shadowing experience, too. Am I nuts?
Not nuts. go join the Non-trad group, I too will be up in age when matriculating.

Reactions: 1 users