OUWB vs. Jefferson

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fursty13

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I'd appreciate any input you can provide here. I think both are great schools and I can't go wrong with either, so I'm having a hard time deciding!

OUWB Pros

• Super close to parents (15 minutes away). Would probably live with them for a year or two to save $.
  • Beaumont Health affiliation
  • Strong match list despite being a newer school
  • Really tight-knit group of students
  • Good facilities
  • P/F/H grading
OUWB Cons
  • Located in the suburbs
  • Less diverse population for training
  • Lots of mandatory attendance classes and events
Jefferson Pros
  • Stronger reputation
  • Established school
  • More prestigious matches
  • Located right in the heart of Philly, so better social life
  • Diverse population for training
  • Strong emphasis on clinical training
  • Very friendly student body
  • P/F grading
Jefferson Cons
  • Don't know the area and it's expensive to live in Philly
  • Away from friends and family
  • Didn't mention research at all during interview day

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I can't speak to OUWB. But regarding some of your Jefferson cons: Philly isn't as expensive as one might think. You can get reasonably expect to get housing (with roommates of course) around 700-800 per month, more if you want to live alone. Def more expensive than some places, but also not as expensive as you might think for it being a "city". Also, Jeff does do research. Plenty of opportunities.

Reactions: 1 users
I can't speak to OUWB. But regarding some of your Jefferson cons: Philly isn't as expensive as one might think. You can get reasonably expect to get housing (with roommates of course) around 700-800 per month, more if you want to live alone. Def more expensive than some places, but also not as expensive as you might think for it being a "city". Also, Jeff does do research. Plenty of opportunities.
I just thought it was a bit odd they didn't mention it at all during interview day. Also, $700-800/month is less than what I expected, but it's also $700-800/month more than I'd likely pay if I went to OUWB :laugh:. Thanks so much for the input though. I was thinking it'd be $1100+ for a month's rent to live in Center City.

I just thought it was a bit odd they didn't mention it at all during interview day. Also, $700-800/month is less than what I expected, but it's also $700-800/month more than I'd likely pay if I went to OUWB :laugh:. Thanks so much for the input though. I was thinking it'd be $1100+ for a month's rent to live in Center City.
I thought that was odd too but I talked to my interviewer and the students and they mentioned plenty of research opportunities. And true about the rent being more than free rent, but I'm of the opinion its good to live with fellow med students. At least we are all in it together. I am also considering Jefferson. Even though my family is in the area, I don't think that I would choose to live at home, for many reasons (social life, motivation to study, environment, overall happiness, etc.)

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought that was odd too but I talked to my interviewer and the students and they mentioned plenty of research opportunities. And true about the rent being more than free rent, but I'm of the opinion its good to live with fellow med students. At least we are all in it together. I am also considering Jefferson. Even though my family is in the area, I don't think that I would choose to live at home, for many reasons (social life, motivation to study, environment, overall happiness, etc.)
I definitely understand that perspective too. Thanks for clearing that up. My student interview and I talked about essentially everything except school and my faculty interviewer and I stuck to almost exclusively clinical stuff, so I was a little unsure of what was out there. Best of luck to you with your decision...maybe we'll meet each other in late July :)

Reactions: 1 user
My hosts at Jefferson said a good number of students get funding to do research between M1 and M2. Trust The Process!

Reactions: 1 user
My hosts at Jefferson said a good number of students get funding to do research between M1 and M2. Trust The Process!
Not even from Philly, but I'd donate my navicular bone and menisci if it meant a healthy Joel Embiid.

I think I'm leaning Jeff at this point, but there's still around a month to decide, though I don't think I want to take that long. Are you set on Jeff?

Not even from Philly, but I'd donate my navicular bone and menisci if it meant a healthy Joel Embiid.

I think I'm leaning Jeff at this point, but there's still around a month to decide, though I don't think I want to take that long. Are you set on Jeff?

Hahaha yeah can't wait until next season. And I'm waiting until after 2nd look!