OUWB vs. Pitt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kjd46

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this is an odd comparison.

Pitt obviously has a very good reputation.I went there for undergrad and loved it. The school is nice, the area is nice, and I have friends still in the area. I already have good research connections and can continue working with the same PI. Cost is roughly $54k plus living expenses.

OUWB is relatively new and obviously less prestigious. However, I was extremely impressed with them at interview day and it just "felt right." Plus Beaumont is a great hospital system and I have connections with the head of Emergency Medicine department, which is definitely what I'm leaning towards (I worked as a paramedic for a while and loved it.) I grew up in Michigan so could live at my parents' and commute (saving lots of money), plus I received 50% tuition scholarship (so tuition of $27k).

Some background information about me: Like I said, I live in Michigan and I'm fairly confident I want to go into EM. I want to do research. My fiancee is a med student at Vanderbilt and we will be doing couples matching into residency (she's most likely going into neurology.) I have minimal undergrad debt.

So... what is more important given my situation? The reputation of Pitt at a higher cost, or saving money at a lower prestige school that is close to home?

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on what you want to prioritize. Pitt is substantially better than OUWB and will help you a lot in the long term. It is definitely worth the extra cost. And Pitt has superior research opportunities than OUWB. I would go to Pitt, amd geographically, i don't think you are too far from your parents.

It depends on what you want to prioritize. Pitt is substantially better than OUWB and will help you a lot in the long term. It is definitely worth the extra cost. And Pitt has superior research opportunities than OUWB. I would go to Pitt, amd geographically, i don't think you are too far from your parents.

That's where I am leaning. Thanks for the input.