OUWB vs Wayne State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WhyamIhereomg

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello beautiful little people of the interwebs,

I know this has been asked before, but I feel like it has been a few years so I was curious what people think about these two schools in comparison to one another as of now.

OUWB is my first choice, wayne is not. OUWB is generous with scholarships, wayne has not been yet. Beaumont is a solid hospital system here, yet wayne has several affiliations ( although one is deteriorating with DMC as I have heard). Wayne has 290 students, OUWB has 125 and is way more personable even at this point of pre-matriculation. Anyone know how research opportunities compare between the two?

Residency matches at OUWB have been pretty solid, as well, despite it being a younger school.

Also, I heard OUWB outranked Wayne at some point (that was from a very flimsy source, so maybe not).

Please let me know your thoughts!

Members don't see this ad.

First off, I don't know specifics about each school but I think I can help with the thought process. It sounds like you are leaning heavily towards OUWB, for many valid reasons. Would just one thing, slightly more research opportunities (if true for Wayne) change all that? It personally wouldn't for me, but it might for you if research is your ultimate priority in your journey to be a doctor.

Reactions: 1 user
OUWB does not participate in ranking.
upload_2019-3-5_9-12-28.png

upload_2019-3-5_9-13-5.png

Wayne outranks OUWB in terms of research funding and overal rank since it heavily relies upon research funding. OUWB did not outrank wayne at anytime considering they do not participate in ranking. That being said OUWB is probably a better experience considering wayne is a machine that churns out 3x as many students.

Oakland is a great school and has a sufficent number of residencies associated with the school which will provide you with home programs that you need to match competitively.

OUWB does not participate in ranking.
View attachment 252856
View attachment 252857
Wayne outranks OUWB in terms of research funding and overal rank since it heavily relies upon research funding. OUWB did not outrank wayne at anytime considering they do not participate in ranking. That being said OUWB is probably a better experience considering wayne is a machine that churns out 3x as many students.

Oakland is a great school and has a sufficent number of residencies associated with the school which will provide you with home programs that you need to match competitively.

Thank you for the clarification!

Members don't see this ad :)
While Wayne State has a large class size, it is not a "machine that churns out 3x as many students". Wayne State-trained physicians are very well known across the country for their excellent clinical skills and receive an excellent quality of education at Wayne. Caribbean schools and schools like California Northstate are machines that churn out 3x as many students. Wayne is quite the opposite. Even here in California, Wayne State physicians have a very good reputation for being good doctors.
It is a machine that churns out 300+ students. It is literally the largest single campus school in the country. I never said that wayne docs arent well regarded or dont match well. When you are part of a large institution things may seem impersonal, procedures and bureaucracy substantial, you may end up competing for similar resources with your peers it is the way it has to function to accommodate such a large number of students. Also, cal northstate has 1/3 the class size of wayne.

Last edited:
It depends on you and your goals. OUWB and Wayne are both really good schools if you want to stay in MI. If you want to leave, Wayne has a pretty strong reputation in the Midwest and within certain specialties nationally (Dr. Tintinalli for EM was a Wayne med grad, etc). Anecdotally, If you want to be a trauma surgeon/EM/etc, saying you went to med school IN Detroit is a good conversation starter, but that has no real relevance if you want to do IM or Derm and stay in MI.

I'm trying to make this exact same decision with Western Michigan thrown into the mix. It's so difficult with Wayne's great reputation but questionable culture while OUWB is newer but seems to have an excellent admin and student culture. Feel free to DM me if you want to bounce ideas off of each other.