OVC vs. WCVM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mpang

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I was just wondering (if possible) which school is more competitive to get in?

Consider my low GPA from my "previous" life, I really like how Ontario veterinary College evaluates their applicants, it would be my bad GPA would be erased. Although MCAT is kinda scary, but I personally would prefer to live in Guelph rather than Saskatoon for 4 years, if I ever get in. Also, some say Western College of Veterinary Medicine (UofSaska) seems to focus more on large farm animal, which make me seriously considering moving to Ontario, any thoughts? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I just replied to your message in the other thread, but I guess I'll pipe up here as well. I would suspect that both WCVM and OVC are both very competitive. I'm not sure where the OVC admissions statistics are, but here they are for WCVM:
http://explore.usask.ca/programs/nondirect/vm/#stats

I think there is some confusion regarding WCVM and the farm animal thing. WCVM does not focus on large animal. In fact, the new core-elective curriculum allows you to pick your area of interest and take elective courses in 3rd year in whatever area you choose. I'm a small animal person, and so is at least 50% of my class, and there is lots of small animal focus. All I meant in the other thread was that WCVM has good exposure to farm animals, if that happens to be your area of interest, due to it's proximity to agricultural industries. For example, if you are food animal oriented, in 4th year rotations you have lots of options as far as taking rotations on feedlots, dairy, swine, etc. However, if you're like me and have no intention of being a food animal vet, you can choose to take mostly small animal elective and rotations, and there's lots of those. So I definitely wouldn't worry about the farm animal thing when making your decision, as it's really a non-issue. I think there was also some confusion in the other thread between WCVM and Calgary; the Calgary school does have an emphasis on large animal.

Hopefully someone else can answer your questions about OVC.

Are you a Canadian citizen? Just want to make sure you know that you can't apply to OVC if you aren't a resident of Ontario. It's fairly competitive- about 400 or so applicants with 110 seats. The MCAT sucks lol- but its do-able.

I haven't looked into WCVM because I can't apply to out-of-province schools.

OVC stats:
http://www.ovc.uoguelph.ca/future/dvm/incoming/statistics/