WCVM 2025-2026 (c/o 2030 hopefuls)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

AH! Im so scared! I have been prepping for this application cycle since highschool. Anyone else as terrified as me haha
 
Could anyone possibly provide some insight regarding admissions and poor casper scores? I just found out I placed 2nd quartile and as I will be applying for an ag. seat, I am rather disappointed.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does western accept Casper? I didn’t think they did.
Could anyone possibly provide some insight regarding admissions and poor casper scores? I just found out I placed 2nd quartile and as I will be applying for an ag. seat, I am rather disappointed.
 
anyone know of good resources to prep for wcvm interview specifically? what kind of questions do they ask?
It has been many years since I interviewed for WCVM so I am unsure if they changed their format or if they still use a panel system (two from the college, one local) so maybe take this with a grain of salt. But for what it's worth, here are my thoughts on some things to prep:

One piece of advice that I think is important in general is to know your application. Review exactly what you put on it. I tell this same advice to students applying for internships and interns applying for residencies. It is pretty common to be asked questions specific to my application (e.g. "tell us about your experience at X place" or "I'm curious to hear more about your research doing X"). I recall that during my WCVM interview the interviewers had my application printed in front of them to reference. In addition, reviewing general interview questions is important (e.g. "tell us about a difficult communication", "what are your strengths", etc.) as there is always the potential that these questions come up.

As for vet-specific topics (again, note any updates and what may/may not be relevant since I went through the process):
- Veterinary jobs - what types of jobs exist for vets outside of the stereotypical general practice vet setting?
- Animal welfare/rights - what are the five freedoms? provide specific examples?
- Dairy quota system - how does it work? why does Canada use this system?
- Case examples - depending on your specific experiences be prepared to talk about a case you found interesting, and why it was treated a certain way
- What made you want to be a vet? What are your goals after you graduate?
- Do you think you are prepared for the workload of vet school?

Even if it is not with a veterinary professional, I recommend practicing answering questions out loud. Reviewing answers in your head alone vs. forming actual sentences out loud can be very different for most people.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I’m around 83-84 weighted didn’t get an offer yet. I kind of figured that’s on the lower end of the spectrum and on the fence. Anyone know if second round is pretty much just for those still in class and a few people who might be close? Or is it for those in the lower half of the applicant pool? Anyone else know exactly how that works? Still holding my breath but we’ll see lol
 
Hey everyone

I was just wondering if there would be anyone interested in conducting mock interviews together over zoom? As @SCBMM said earlier, getting practice vocalizing your thoughts is super important. I think it could be a unique opportunity.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad