Over 30 & Applying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sopie123

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone out there over 30 and been out of under-grad for a while? I graduated in ’95 with a bio-chem degree and have been a Chemist for a bio-pharm company for the last 10 years. I’m looking to take the DAT in March and apply for 2007. I need a career change.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not over 30 but I've met a few people who are probably older than you during interviews. Go for it and good luck~

Congratulations and best of luck on the career change. Although I am not 30, I am darn close, and there are a couple of classmates of mine that are over 30. It's a bit different being in a sea of younger people (oh, the difference a few years makes), but chances are you won't be the only one. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
sopie123 said:
Anyone out there over 30 and been out of under-grad for a while? I graduated in ’95 with a bio-chem degree ... I’m looking to take the DAT in March and apply for 2007. I need a career change.

I'm pretty close to the big 30. Just something you might consider is that some schools won't accept credits (Gen Chem, O Chem, Bio, Physics) if they are more than five years old from what I understand. Check w/ schools and make sure your credits will count from that long ago. Good luck to you in 2007. :horns:

I'm 29 and married with two kids. For the past 7 years I've been in the IT industry and went back to school about 3 years ago to complete prereqs. This is my second application cycle. It has been tough, especially after not getting in last year but things are looking good this year. Just stick it out and it will be worth it.

sopie123 said:
Anyone out there over 30 and been out of under-grad for a while? I graduated in ’95 with a bio-chem degree and have been a Chemist for a bio-pharm company for the last 10 years. I’m looking to take the DAT in March and apply for 2007. I need a career change.

I'm 31, married with a new daughter, and like the last poster, took the pre-reqs over the past 3 years. Age is not an impediment. I was accepted to several programs last year at the age of 30.

I know quite many 30+ students in my school, NYUCD.
Good luck.

Will be 30 in a couple months. Married, 4 boys, work full time. Good luck!

I'm 30 and applying, graduated with a Mechanical Engineering degree in '97 and am switching from a career as a Navy pilot. Good luck to you!

I'm 30, married, 2 children, and working on my undergrad. I'll be applying when I'm 34, looking for a job at 38 :)

There are people in med school in their 40's and 50's...and in dental school there are many-many older students too. You are not old at all. You will actually shine from the rest :D

And if you are Chemist already--oh my! You are smart! Good luck applying :luck:

I have to say... I think that it is awesome that all of you are either in D-School or applying. It is NEVER too late to follow your dream.

I wish you all the very best in your endeavour,
-C

Mid 30s. There are about 10 or 11 people in my class of 54 who are 30 or older and many have children (including myself = 3 boys). We are all having a blast!! Good luck and don't be too concerned with age.

Good for all the late 20s/early 30s applicants! (and even those on up)

I think you'll find you have an easier time working with patients, building confidence, and avoiding communication problems.

sopie123 said:

I just turned 42 this month and I am also changing careers. I have two kids and a wife. Just like you, I will also apply to DS next year hopefully to get in by 2007.

I want to share this with you. My Dad taught me (by example) that old dogs DO learn new tricks. He was a Mechanical Engineer - graduated around the WWII era - and retired at 80 !! :eek: Anyway, he always wanted to learn about computers and decided to go back to school. He learned the essence of what computers are, file structures and types, operating systems, and what programming languages are all about rather well. He was able to apply this newly acquired knowledge very well. :thumbup: So there, one more piece of evidence that "older-than-average" folks can learn new stuff and be very productive.

I'll be rooting for all of you career-changing and/or older-than-average folks out there. Best of luck !!