Over worked and under rewarded... Need helpful suggestions for getting into PT school! Please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KG_DPT

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is my first post after spending many days and hours reading through post others have made about their situation. I'm wondering if anyone has any useful and POSITIVE/AFFIRMING advice for me. If you don't please don't bring your negativity here. I don't want it.

Ok. I'm a non-traditional student. I graduated in 2009 with a bachelors in liberal arts from a reputable university. Why BLA? Because I was a student athlete with dreams of going pro. So athletic teams will gladly push you along in any class that easy to pass so that you'll stay eligible to play. And by the time it was time to graduate I had so many random credits I was stuck in a position where I wouldn't have gotten a diploma if I didn't declare something. So I wanted to graduate rather than not graduate at all.

I did go pro however. I played professionally for several European countries from 2009-2012. In 2012, I became a personal trainer and have been doing that for the past few years. In addition to personal training, I've also been taking classes. I just finished all my pre-reqs (classes that were not taken during undergrad).

Pre-req grades: Med Term: A, Bio 1: B, Bio 2: A, A&P 1: B, A&P 2: B, Chem 1: B, Chem 2: A, Physics 1: B, Physics 2: A, Abnormal Psych: B, Stats: B.

I'm currently retaking statistics as it's been almost 5 years since I took it last and I should get an A. Working just under full time it has taken me about 3 yrs to finish these classes. I know, heavy course loads are better but I live in a major city and rent/bills are expensive!

This was my first year applying and I've been rejected from 4/6 schools so far. I'm still waiting on Univ. of Sciences in Philly and Tenn State. Here's a list of my stats according to PTCAS and without Physics 2 grade (A) added:

cGPA: 2.76
sGPA: 3.28
GRE: 145Q, 145V, 4.0 AW
Observational hours: 123 (inpatient, outpatient, university athletic setting)

I know these stats aren't good by any means but it took me some time to arrive at this point. I had a pretty good essay and good letters of recommendation from a professor, a healthcare provider, and two PTs. I am, like many others who cannot improve on my gpa cause I have so many credit hours.

I'm just looking for some reasonable advice on steps I can take next application cycle so that I'm not wasting years of my life doing the wrong things when I could have been more efficient. So any help or advice would be great! GRE tips, observation hours, possibly higher level courses/grad classes, things that worked for you, ect.

Also, I'm 29 years old and I applied only to ptcas schools. I plan to retake the GRE, apply early this year and to several non-ptcas schools, and try and get at least 500 observational hours completed. I'm also thinking about pursuing the CSCS certification this time next year if time permits me to.

So what are your thoughts? Tell me something good! Plz. Cause I know there are a ton of people who get in with worse GPAs than mine (granted they have better GRE scores, ect). So I know it's possible.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey! First, congrats on going pro and having an experience over seas. So jealous! Sport?

You're completely right about the GRE. Bumping it a couple of points will be make your overall app stronger (preferably to 300 average and 4.5 AW). This is easier said than done, but it can be done. There are a couple of threads about what kind of study material to look into so try searching for them here :)

In terms of observation hours, I would say to get as many different settings that you can. Like you said, 500 hours will be great, but careful not to waste all of your time in a place like an outpatient ortho, where maybe 50 hrs there will be enough. Try looking for a peds (developmental or sports) or neuro settings! Also, I see that you have inpatient, how many did you spend there? (curious)

And one thing that I feel needs no rush is getting the CSCS. It may not be much help in terms of getting yourself an acceptance (that I know of), but if you're wanting to do it for your self or your current job, then go for it. (expensive though).

And besides that, you're correct about your cGPA.. it may be tough to bring it up a couple of points. Maybe someone else here can grant you some advice about that.

Letters of rec would be the last thing. You said you had good letters of rec, and I know that PTCAS has a limit of how many they require, so make sure you pick those who know you a bit more and who you've interacted with most during your observation. It helps to have someone who's an alumni from the school you're applying, or someone high up (director and such).

Thanks for the reply Romazicon. I played basketball! It was an amazing experience, so grateful to have had it! :)

I'm studying now for the GRE again, it is much easier said than done but I'm going to try Magoosh as my main study material this time and supplement it was Manhattan. I'll check around for study material advice. I did about 60 hours in neuro setting, 25 in a top division 1 athletic training room/facility at a university, and the rest in outpatient.

Thanks again for the response. I'm very open to any more suggestions/comments.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would encourage you to work on improving your GRE score ... that's pretty much the only difference between us (I'm 28, non traditional, undergrad GPA of 2.77, but grad school GPA of 3.8) and I have been accepted to one school and wait listed at 3 others. The other thing I'd encourage you to do is look at schools with a higher median age, unfortunately there are schools that will reject you because they don't care to accept anyone who is a non-traditional student (I had this happen to me at one program)

Other than that, keep your head up and maybe look to increase your observation hours...but it IS doable because I got in and GRE aside, we are quite similar as far as stats go (and I don't have pro sports on my resume)

Good luck :)

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you Heaq12 for commenting! Do you mind sharing your GRE scores? Also where might I find info regarding median ages for programs? Is that something you find on individual program websites statistics?

To be perfectly honest I think it's your GRE scores. Get both over 150 and apply in July. Make sure you're applying to schools who's minimum GPA requirements are the same or lower than what yours are. I think you have plenty of observation but it may not hurt to try inpatient hospital. You can get in. It took me a couple tries too

I couldn't agree more with what everyone has said here. It sounds like you're on the right track and that your experiences would make you a valuable addition to any program. I know it's frustrating, I'm in the same boat being a re-applicant from a nontraditional background. Keep your head up!

Reactions: 1 user
I know there are some schools that have "forgiveness programs" where instead of looking at your cumulative GPA, they will only look into your last 120 units and take the GPA of that. Maybe research schools that do that and apply to those! I think researching schools, talking to admissions counselors, and seeing what each program is looking for is a big part.

I had the low gpa problem. One thing I did to improve my app after being rejected, was to take a ton of online math/science classes. Like you, my pre reqs were done and grades were fine. But I targeted courses like trig, genetics, environmental bio, calculus. They all helped my overall gpa (a tiny bit) but they improved my math/science gpa more substantially. They were generally easy classes too so I was able to balance them with work.

I don't know the schools you are applying to very well, but like other posters said, choose schools where you meet their minimums and possibly explore other schools who look at the last credit hours for admission.

Reactions: 2 users
I would definitely contact at least a few of the schools that rejected you and ask why they made that decision. Did you meet the minimum requirements at all the schools you applied to? Unfortunately, most schools will automatically throw out your app if you don't have a 3.0 and 150-150-4.0, no exceptions.

As others have suggested, retake the GRE and target schools that do not have a minimum cGPA requirement. Don't be afraid to call the admissions office at programs and ask for advice!

Good luck!

Thank you Heaq12 for commenting! Do you mind sharing your GRE scores? Also where might I find info regarding median ages for programs? Is that something you find on individual program websites statistics?

My GRE scores were: 167 V 154 Q 5.0 AW

I don't remember where I found median ages, but I do remember private schools vs. state schools generally had a higher median age.

I got interviews at George Washington, Marshall, Shenandoah, and Marymount. I also got wait listed at Lynchburg

I am a non-traditional student also had the same GPA when i applied my first cycle last year. I applied to alot of programs and got an interview at MGH and that really helped me for this year. I would suggest getting your cGPA to 2.8 as that is the lowest cutoff and look into schools considering UD or last 60. Also like everyone else said raise your GRE scores and you'll get your chance. I got mine this year and will be starting in June. Good Luck!

just a tip for the gre. Consistent practice is key. I'd say once a week practice tests, and make sure to find what specific areas you need to work on. the magoosh flash card app is pretty good I used that quite a bit as well to improve vocab. good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that your best bet is preparing well for the GRE and retaking it (Magoosh resources were helpful for me as well as the Princeton Review prep book). Also, I would keep volunteering.

As others have mentioned, contact the schools you applied to and find out why they rejected you. That will help you formulate a plan going into the next application cycle. If you want to reapply to their programs, they may help you pinpoint exactly what you can do to improve your application.

Good luck! I'm a non-trad student as well and while some programs welcome those of you who took a indirect path to PT, there are other programs that are more inside the box when it comes to how they evaluate the applicants.

Everyone is in agreement about getting those GRE scores up a bit. Also don't go overboard on observation hours. The number of hours doesn't count nearly as much as the variety of settings. Get at least five different settings. Research the programs that you want to apply to and make sure your application will be considered before applying. As one person said, some programs will just throw all applications in the trash if they don't meet the 3.0 minimum. As one poster stated, definitely look at the median age. I was flat out told by a school that they did not like non tradional students because we had lost cognitive ability. Another big way to help your cause is to set up tours at the schools that you ultimately choose. This shows the school that you are serious about attending there school and take your education seriously. I got accepted and I just turned 42 and had a cGPA of around 3.15. My last 60 semester hours was a 3.9 however. I certainly let that be known:). If you're waiting until next cycle take more classes and get the last 60 GPA up in the 3.5 range. You can certainly do that and there are plenty of programs that weigh the last 60 very heavily.

I would definitely contact at least a few of the schools that rejected you and ask why they made that decision. Did you meet the minimum requirements at all the schools you applied to? Unfortunately, most schools will automatically throw out your app if you don't have a 3.0 and 150-150-4.0, no exceptions.

As others have suggested, retake the GRE and target schools that do not have a minimum cGPA requirement. Don't be afraid to call the admissions office at programs and ask for advice!

Good luck!
I definitely met the requirements for the schools I applied to... It's almost a small fortune applying so I spent months searching for schools I qualified for and I even called their admissions office to see if I stood a chance if I applied. Some said no immediately and other said it's worth a try. That's how I narrowed my schools down in the end. I just didn't have a lot of time and that's why I applied to ptcas only schools.

I appreciate all the comments! Really. I'll definitely take them all into consideration as I prepare for the next cycle of apps. :)

Another tip....target rolling admissions schools and get your application there first! (Literally send it in the moment PTCAS opens). Are you open to moving anywhere or targeting a specific area?

I definitely met the requirements for the schools I applied to... It's almost a small fortune applying so I spent months searching for schools I qualified for and I even called their admissions office to see if I stood a chance if I applied. Some said no immediately and other said it's worth a try. That's how I narrowed my schools down in the end. I just didn't have a lot of time and that's why I applied to ptcas only schools.

I appreciate all the comments! Really. I'll definitely take them all into consideration as I prepare for the next cycle of apps. :)

Glad to hear this! It shows you are smarter than most applicants! No sense in wasting your money! :)

If you follow the advice here, I'm sure you will be successful next time. It sounds like you have a good plan and will use the following year wisely. Good luck!

Another tip....target rolling admissions schools and get your application there first! (Literally send it in the moment PTCAS opens). Are you open to moving anywhere or targeting a specific area?

Thanks for the tip. I've lived every where... Literally so I'm open to going to school anywhere. It doesn't matter really.

I'll check it out now. Thank you!

I know this is completely random and an old thread but I was curious if you've had any success in your PT school endeavors? I just ran across this thread and it really struck a cord with me. I, like yourself, am a non-traditional student having graduated in 2011 with my BS in Health Science and with similar stats. I just finished my second cycle applying to PT school and unfortunately did not have any success. I applied to many schools both years (all FL schools the first cycle and mostly FL schools with some bordering states this past cycle) and interviewed at the University of St. Augustine - FL campus both years with no avail. I'm at a loss at this point as I spent the last 2 semesters retaking prerequisite courses at my local community college and am not sure if I should continue on this path. Age is playing a big factor for me (I'm 28) not to mention currently working as a physical therapy tech does not offer a healthy pay check. Any advice or wisdom you could share with me would be greatly appreciated!

I know this is completely random and an old thread but I was curious if you've had any success in your PT school endeavors? I just ran across this thread and it really struck a cord with me. I, like yourself, am a non-traditional student having graduated in 2011 with my BS in Health Science and with similar stats. I just finished my second cycle applying to PT school and unfortunately did not have any success. I applied to many schools both years (all FL schools the first cycle and mostly FL schools with some bordering states this past cycle) and interviewed at the University of St. Augustine - FL campus both years with no avail. I'm at a loss at this point as I spent the last 2 semesters retaking prerequisite courses at my local community college and am not sure if I should continue on this path. Age is playing a big factor for me (I'm 28) not to mention currently working as a physical therapy tech does not offer a healthy pay check. Any advice or wisdom you could share with me would be greatly appreciated!

wow this sounds literally just like me(down to the original graduation year)! only difference is that i am 26, but i was also looking into applying to Florida schools and wondering if this will all be eventually worth it since I am older now and as a PT tech I am not making that much money. I just want to hurry up and hopefully get accepted to school because working 2 jobs and taking classes just "in hopes" of getting accepted is really nerve wrecking.

wow this sounds literally just like me(down to the original graduation year)! only difference is that i am 26, but i was also looking into applying to Florida schools and wondering if this will all be eventually worth it since I am older now and as a PT tech I am not making that much money. I just want to hurry up and hopefully get accepted to school because working 2 jobs and taking classes just "in hopes" of getting accepted is really nerve wrecking.

Yes, it certainly hasn't been an easy path. But nothing easy is worth having as the saying goes. I know there are people like us out there who are "older" and have gone back to improve grades or to have updated coursework and have been accepted. Just hoping to hear some uplifting advice as to where to apply and even if we're on the right path of what we should be doing...