Overall expenses in Carribean

Started by plrae12
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

plrae12

studentforlife
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi guys, I'm not sure if anyone had asked this before. I'm getting desperate and i'm looking into the Carribean. The more I read about Carribean schools the more I think I can probably take the lifestyle in one of them. Living expenses however is another story. My question is for those who already goes to Carribean schools....do you spend more over there in terms of your needs on top of tuitions?...I was reading AUC's website and it seems that you have to pay for everything in order to get them--banking, phones, wiring money etc.????
 
Hi guys, I'm not sure if anyone had asked this before. I'm getting desperate and i'm looking into the Carribean. The more I read about Carribean schools the more I think I can probably take the lifestyle in one of them. Living expenses however is another story. My question is for those who already goes to Carribean schools....do you spend more over there in terms of your needs on top of tuitions?...I was reading AUC's website and it seems that you have to pay for everything in order to get them--banking, phones, wiring money etc.????

There's a carribean board lower down on SDN you should post to. This is US allo. Not many people on this board are going to know the fine details of carribean expenses.
 
You might want to ask the mods to move this thread to the carribean forum. Also, www.valuemd.com is a popular site for international medical graduates. SDN is mostly for US doctor wannabes.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi guys, I'm not sure if anyone had asked this before. I'm getting desperate and i'm looking into the Carribean. The more I read about Carribean schools the more I think I can probably take the lifestyle in one of them. Living expenses however is another story. My question is for those who already goes to Carribean schools....do you spend more over there in terms of your needs on top of tuitions?...I was reading AUC's website and it seems that you have to pay for everything in order to get them--banking, phones, wiring money etc.????
Yes this has been asked before, it will cost you more to go Caribbean and it will be a little harder for some of the residencies too.

Average at the big 4 from what I know is around 40 to 50k a year for tuition and living so you will owe around 180 to 225k after 4 years. Some schools are less and some are at that 225 mark just go to the school sites and look at the tuition costs and then find out average living and do the math.

Good Luck:luck:
 
As usual, some great points made here. I cannot really add specific costs, as it depends upon the school, what you are willing to spend on living expenses, the island you go to school on and other factors. But, as a 4th semester student, I have had NO problems financing my med education, and I do not think you will either. And, I say that because a lot of students are probably in your position $ wise right now, and they are funding their med education with no problem. Thousands have done it before you, so do not be tooo concerned. You can find a way. I would recommend you contact the financial aid departments at the schools you are interested in. You might be surprised by what they have to offer, especially if you go to SGU, Ross or AUC. They all have title 4 funding, so it is almost similar to the financial aid US students get. Money is not an issue, if you really want to become a doctor. Best wishes!🙂
 
As usual, some great points made here. I cannot really add specific costs, as it depends upon the school, what you are willing to spend on living expenses, the island you go to school on and other factors. But, as a 4th semester student, I have had NO problems financing my med education, and I do not think you will either. And, I say that because a lot of students are probably in your position $ wise right now, and they are funding their med education with no problem. Thousands have done it before you, so do not be tooo concerned. You can find a way. I would recommend you contact the financial aid departments at the schools you are interested in. You might be surprised by what they have to offer, especially if you go to SGU, Ross or AUC. They all have title 4 funding, so it is almost similar to the financial aid US students get. Money is not an issue, if you really want to become a doctor. Best wishes!🙂

thanks. It's just a little stressful when you know that you have no one else to depend on for financing your education and personal expenses but student loans. I'm working full time right now and making good money but i know that once i get into med school all of that will be gone 🙂
 
Sure. I'm 40 and have no one to co-sign for me, so I certainly feel what you are saying. Quite a few people out there can relate as well. Save that money, keep your credit score up, and give the financial aids departments a call, and I think you will be able to fulfill all of your medical goals. We all wish you the best and look forward to working with you in the future. Best wishes!🙂