Overall Experience AUC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

austinlabrat

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
AUC STUDENTS:

Can you rate your overall experience on campus?

Are there opportunities for students to design, conduct, and publish their own research?

Is there flexibility in the coursework (the number of electives) and the timing of the courses (accelerating, decelerating, and time off) during the pre-clinical and clinical years?

I am considering applying to AUC within the next semester...any help would be appreciated!!! Thanks :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

austinlabrat said:
AUC STUDENTS:

Can you rate your overall experience on campus?

Are there opportunities for students to design, conduct, and publish their own research?

Is there flexibility in the coursework (the number of electives) and the timing of the courses (accelerating, decelerating, and time off) during the pre-clinical and clinical years?

I am considering applying to AUC within the next semester...any help would be appreciated!!! Thanks :confused:

overall experience.... non competitive, good demographics, a few teachers really need to learn how to teach but otherwise, it's been a good experience.

Research. Yes. Actually, we are very active in research especially in Anatomy and microbiology. If you check out AUC's website, you'll see that two of my classmates won awards for clinical anatomists(or whatever the award is called). I'm currently doing a microbiology research.

http://www.aucmed.edu/awar_win.htm

As for the pre-clinical years, there is the option of decelerating and what not if you wish. You can even finish in 6 or 7 semesters if you choose(of course, that means more money for the gold decor hanging at our school).

I'm not too certain about the clinical years but you can apply to your own electives to add up to 72 weeks total of clinicals(or more if you choose).

You should check out valuemd.com as most AUC/Ross/SGU/Saba/SMU/AUA/other carib students regulars post there and not on SDN.

Good luck

microphage said:
overall experience.... non competitive, good demographics, a few teachers really need to learn how to teach but otherwise, it's been a good experience.

Research. Yes. Actually, we are very active in research especially in Anatomy and microbiology. If you check out AUC's website, you'll see that two of my classmates won awards for clinical anatomists(or whatever the award is called). I'm currently doing a microbiology research.

http://www.aucmed.edu/awar_win.htm

As for the pre-clinical years, there is the option of decelerating and what not if you wish. You can even finish in 6 or 7 semesters if you choose(of course, that means more money for the gold decor hanging at our school).

I'm not too certain about the clinical years but you can apply to your own electives to add up to 72 weeks total of clinicals(or more if you choose).

You should check out valuemd.com as most AUC/Ross/SGU/Saba/SMU/AUA/other carib students regulars post there and not on SDN.

Good luck

Thanks...I noticed the two who were the recepients of the awards, but I just wasn't sure if the school had a strong research program (it didn't seem like it). How has your experience been with your research training? How are the PI's?

I also just wanted to know about campus life in general...how is the student life...how is the overall atmosphere at the school?

austinlabrat said:
Thanks...I noticed the two who were the recepients of the awards, but I just wasn't sure if the school had a strong research program (it didn't seem like it). How has your experience been with your research training? How are the PI's?

I also just wanted to know about campus life in general...how is the student life...how is the overall atmosphere at the school?

Don't expect anything like back home. Schools in the Caribbean don't have that much funding for research. I know SGU has a research institute but with the recent events there, I'm not sure if they still have it.

What type of research are you interested in? As of right now, we only have Anatomy and Microbiology research(but will hopefully get a few more underway, like Cell Bio and Path).

Research training here comes 2nd of course, we are here to become MDs and not PhDs(although most people would say I'm in the wrong field). My PI is pretty good but again, money dictates everything. We are fairly limited to the scope of our research as well as time(how much can you accomplish in the little time you have here). PM me more specific questions and I'll get back to you on it.

SXM is a much better island than either Dominica and Grenada. We don't grade on a curve so we are not as cut-throat as some other schools but rather, you compete against yourself. Yeah, there are some gunners but what they get doesn't affect our grade so it's a non-issue usually. As I said earlier, you should probably visit valuemd.com and check out the AUC forum to get a sense of the atmosphere(you can tell just by the type of issues the students bring up..)