overlapping questions during interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tdod

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Should I be worried about an interviewer asking me overlapping questions? For example, the following questions can all be answered with many of the same talking points
  • Who are you
  • Tell me about yourself
  • How are you unique
  • What are your strengths?
It would be very easy, for instance, to describe my strengths in response to being asked, "Tell me about yourself?" However, I'm worried about being asked both questions ("How are you unique," and then, "what are your strengths?") and having nothing new to say in response to the second question. Is this a valid concern? Any advice?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Answer the question you are asked. Tell me about yourself is a conversation starter for someone who hasn't taken the time to read your application or who has not been given access to your application (blind interview) or who is interested in seeing what you have to say about yourself. If you were asked at a networking event, "tell me a little bit about yourself" would you describe your strengths? No, you would introduce yourself... where are you from, what do you do, something you've done recently or that you are planning to do soon that might be something to talk about.

I hate the unique question... I think I'd say "fingerprints".

Reactions: 2 users