overnight pharmacists sleep on the job?

Started by deleted319231
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

D

deleted319231

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i heard the overnight pharmacist at my pharmacy will occasionally take naps during his shift. just wondering if this is common practice among graveyard shift pharmacists. BTW this is in a retail setting where the pharmacist works by himself ...wonder if it would be possible in a hospital setting.
 
Not possible in the hospital I work. We are busy enough at night we have 2 pharmacists on 3rd shift.

In general, I can't believe this is common practice among graveyard shift pharmacists. Doesn't look good when the customer has to wake the pharmacist up.
 
I know that one time I had to go to the pharmacy in the middle of the night after spending hours in the emergency room when my little one was sick. It was a really stressful experience and my daughter turned out to be fine. I'd be none too pleased if I had to wake the pharmacist up after being tired and scared all night. I imagine that a couple of complaints like that would get you fired pretty quickly.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Retail pharmacies generally don't go to 24 hours unless they have enough to keep the pharmacist busy (more or less) all the time. For example, they might do compounding, resolve insurance issues that couldn't be handled during the day, get refills ready, place the order, etc.
 
Where I work I fill 1000 scripts a week overnight, there isn't time to sleep. In fact, there isn't even enough time to do everything I need to do. People who think overnight shifts are slow should work one or two first.
 
i have no idea why my store is 24 hrs, i was actually expecting them to make it a regular hour store whenever they made big cuts earlier this year. the other night i filled my first new rx at 6am! granted, that's not the norm, but i'll never do more than 20 new rxs on any given night. i think i may have fallen asleep once, but it was like for 5 mins, i woke up and was like, i hope they didn't get that on camera
 
Sleeping on the job has been against company/hospital property everywhere that I worked.

At my current rotation site no one is permitted to sleep ANYWHERE on the hospital campus, including in their personal vehicles while they are on break.

Rather excessive.

I have no problem staying awake through the night though. I'd just be very bored. I would take my Sirius radio or something.