Overrated / Underrated

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stercel2007

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
After going on a number of interviews, I came to the conclusion that Duke may just be the most overated school in the country and UPitt the most underated in terms of faculty, clinical opportunities, research spending, friendly enviroment, stressfullness, and overall medical education. What do you all think? Any other schools, that fit the descriptions?

Members don't see this ad.

I think that "worth" of a school is hard to pin down universally because we all place different amounts of weight on different aspects of the medical school.

For example, I really want to attend a school with a fun, low-stress group of students, I don't want to be pressured to do research (but I want opportunities), I require a good teaching hospital (pref. one that serves an indigent population), and I need to like the city at least somewhat. Applying these criteria made Vandy seem overrated and Miami seem very underrated (at least based upon the defacto rating system: USNEWS).

My point is that one person's #1 is probably another's #5.

It's would really be ideal to get to visit as many schools as possible prior to even applying....just a suggestion for the younger folks here.

Anyways, just my 0.02 :)

Originally posted by stercel2007
After going on a number of interviews, I came to the conclusion that Duke may just be the most overated school in the country and UPitt the most underated in terms of faculty, clinical opportunities, research spending, friendly enviroment, stressfullness, and overall medical education. What do you all think? Any other schools, that fit the descriptions?

I would definitely agree with you that Pitt is an amazing school. I loved it much more there than any other school I've been to, including UMich and WashU, higher ranked schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm trying to work up the motivation and $$ to apply to Duke, what makes you say its over-rated?
:D

I see that the curriculum at Duke is the only thing unique about it. I think basic sciences in 1 year is too much and it was evident on how stressed the kids seemed. It seemed like the kids were "faking" their happiness. Sure the extra year of research provides opportunities, but you can do that at any other school over the summers, IF YOU WANT. Duke students have nooo summers. The faculty and administration did not get good reviews from students as they got at other schools. They never mentioned the faculty. This was rare considering it was done at every other school. Also, clinical opportunites are basically limited to Duke University hospital and the VA, thats what most students and faculty said. When I asked people why they chose Duke, there answer boiled down to....ITS DUKE (good name) or its in the south. The research year is basically seen as a blow-off year to make up for the extreme stress in years I and II. I won't be suprised if the schools ranking starts to slip over the years. I realize that this is only my opinion, and I don't mean to bash the school. Its is a good school, but I can't see it as one of the elite schools in the US.

I just got back from NYMC last night and I would consider that one of the most underrated schools out there as well. The facilities are amazing, they haveagreat location and affordable housing IN NYC! which is not really possible at the other nyc schools. Plus they are building a new childrens hospital that will be on par with the best in the country. The best part, it is going to be in the shape of Magic mountain!
CT

Underrated: Cornell. I'd rank it above a lot of schools, even though it's only 11 in USNews.

Overrated: Columbia! Ew.

Originally posted by CRAZYTERP
they haveagreat location and affordable housing IN NYC! which is not really possible at the other nyc schools.

Cornell housing is subsidized. It's cheaper than NYMC by a factor of 2.

Originally posted by mws99
I would definitely agree with you that Pitt is an amazing school. I loved it much more there than any other school I've been to, including UMich and WashU, higher ranked schools.

Yes, I totally agree- I just got back from Pitt and I loved it there! The students are amazingly friendly and happy, and do a lot of stuff besides studying. And Pittsburgh's a great city, too. It's beautiful, and not as crazy as NYC, but still provides a lot for students to do in their spare time.

I agree about Pitt. They really impressed me. They carry themselves off in a very professional, top-notch, but not at all elitist manner. Its unfortunate that the location is enough to turn so many people off who didn't even allow themselves the opportunity to see how solid the school is.

underrated: mayo -US news 15?

Originally posted by mattie113
underrated: mayo -US news 15?

Yeah, that seems low. Even more interesting: check out their residency director and peer scores...they got slammed! Compared to the schools around them (in "rank") and even ones lower on the list those two numbers are way low. I have no idea why this is. Anybody??? Bueller?

I have a theory on Mayo...may be wrong. Since Mayo is a major center and clinic where people with money go all around the world, they go there for the best available care. I would imagine that they won't let their med students take care of the patients that much, since the people that go there pay big bucks for the best specialized doctors and not medical school students for them to learn on patients. Therefore, the med students don't really get much of their own clinical experience, even though they probably see a lot of stuff and work with the best clinicians in the world. When they go off to residency, it might be the first time they are taking charge, and they might not be ready. Just a theory

Members don't see this ad :)
I definetely agree that Pitt. in underrated. It's an incredible school - everyone should seriosuly consider applying there (they give out a good number of merit scholarships too).

Originally posted by medicnas

For example, I really want to attend a school with a fun, low-stress group of students, I don't want to be pressured to do research (but I want opportunities), I require a good teaching hospital (pref. one that serves an indigent population), and I need to like the city at least somewhat.

I sure hope you applied to Temple! :)

I'll take your interview and acceptance to Duke if you get one.

GO DUKE!

"I always remember that whatever I have done in the past, or may do in the future Duke(sic) University is responsible one way or another."
- Richard Nixon

Underrated
Mayo

Overrated
Howard

Let me just say, I lived in Durhan and volunteered at the Duke medical center. That said, Duke is a damn good school. It has a wonderful campus, a comprehensive and challenging program, and a unique vibe. If anything, Duke is underrated. It has always been known as the ivy league school of the south. In all honesty, Durham is a crap hole, but Duke has such a large campus it feels like a seperate place.

Peace out man!:hardy:

overrated:
Harvard

Underrated:
UPenn.

I have a theory on Mayo...may be wrong. I would imagine that they won't let their med students take care of the patients that much...Therefore, the med students don't really get much of their own clinical experience, even though they probably see a lot of stuff and work with the best clinicians in the world.
I think you're probably right. One of our anesthesia folks works at Mayo part time, and she says it's very uptight, that the attendings never turn anything over to the residents (much less the medical students).

Plus, one of our attendings is Mayo fellowship trained. When one of our junior residents finished a case with him, he told him "you just did what would have been a fellowship case at Mayo....even the chief resident wouldn't have been allowed to do this case."

But, I'm sure the didactic teaching is some of the best. Just depends on what you are looking for in your training.

"Thank you very much, for reminding me of the reason why I left Duke(sic). People like you cannot and willnot ever understand my situation. I'm sure daddy worked very hard to send your rich self to college. While real people struggle. I would also like to extend an invitation for you not to waste your or my time ever agin. Never being considered a part of your posh group of yuppies really hurts me to the heart. Yea Right because I don't care about you or your alumni.
Sincerely,
Elton Brand #42 NBA"

Originally posted by womansurg
One of our anesthesia folks works at Mayo part time, and she says it's very uptight, that the attendings never turn anything over to the residents (much less the medical students).

i think that might be it- the classroom instruction is amoung the best there is, but the actual hands on experience isnt there when the time comes for a residency. sounds reasonable- simply an interview there gives me the impression that those being cared for at mayo have taken an active and expensive role in seeking the best health care and might be reluctant to turn over any aspect of their care or interact much with med students.
but, this issue aside, they still remain an underrated school.
any mayo students want to chime in and correct our speculative banter?:)

Originally posted by medicnas
Yeah, that seems low. Even more interesting: check out their residency director and peer scores...they got slammed! Compared to the schools around them (in "rank") and even ones lower on the list those two numbers are way low. I have no idea why this is. Anybody??? Bueller?

simple: NIH funding. Mayo is easily top 5, IMHO.

I have a theory on Mayo...may be wrong. Since Mayo is a major center and clinic where people with money go all around the world, they go there for the best available care. I would imagine that they won't let their med students take care of the patients that much, since the people that go there pay big bucks for the best specialized doctors and not medical school students for them to learn on patients. Therefore, the med students don't really get much of their own clinical experience, even though they probably see a lot of stuff and work with the best clinicians in the world. When they go off to residency, it might be the first time they are taking charge, and they might not be ready. Just a theory

From what a respected physician told me (who's got a few close friends at Mayo), that is pretty close to the truth. I was told that at Mayo the Attendings often do what residents do, and residents do what interns do, and interns do what med students do.....so at any level, you're often doing stuff below what your cohort at other schools is doing. Perhaps that's why their residency director ratings are relatively low.

Mayo's model isn't my idea of a good way to learn medicine, and the major reason I wasn't unhappy when they rejected me.

Originally posted by UCLA2000
overrated:
Harvard

Underrated:
UPenn.

of course, there is no potential for bias coming from you...... :p

although i agree whole heartedly :)

Originally posted by CalmrThanURDude
"Thank you very much, for reminding me of the reason why I left Duke(sic). People like you cannot and willnot ever understand my situation. I'm sure daddy worked very hard to send your rich self to college. While real people struggle. I would also like to extend an invitation for you not to waste your or my time ever agin. Never being considered a part of your posh group of yuppies really hurts me to the heart. Yea Right because I don't care about you or your alumni.
Sincerely,
Elton Brand #42 NBA"

1. People who score above a 35 on the MCAT and get above a 3.7 GPA are automatically uncaring, self-serving Nazis.

EQUALS

2. People who make sacrifices to go to a top 10 private school are automatically uncaring, self-serving Nazis.

I have seen this kind of crap plenty of times on SDN, and Im sure this isnt the last time someone with no idea what they are talking about will make this kind of argument again.

Sincerely,
Elton Brand #42 NBA"

1. People who score above a 35 on the MCAT and get above a 3.7 GPA are automatically uncaring, self-serving Nazis.

EQUALS

2. People who make sacrifices to go to a top 10 private school are automatically uncaring, self-serving Nazis.

I have seen this kind of crap plenty of times on SDN, and Im sure this isnt the last time someone with no idea what they are talking about will make this kind of argument again.

Sincerely,
Elton Brand #42 NBA"

EQUALS

Originally posted by AegisZero

Well, before you get really pissed....Elton Brand made that comment. As I'm sure you know, he played for Duke about 3 seasons ago and left to go to the NBA (I really don't remember if he graduated...). So I would say that comment has at least some credibility....at least it's worth being thought about rather than being dismissed...

Like SistaKaren said, you?ve got Duke(sic) alum Elton Brand to thank for that comment, so don?t shoot the messenger. I personally love Duke(sic), although sometimes I have a hard time deciding what I like better: ol dirty durham, the faux gothic architechture, or the economic inequalities that lead the Wall Street Journal to label Duke(sic) the hardest school in the country at which to be a student on financial aid.

That being said, thanks for proving Elton?s point, AegisZero. Gotta love the assumption that anyone who doesn?t like Duke(sic):
A) Can?t get in to Duke(sic) and
B) got below a 3.7 and a 35 and
C) has ?no idea what they are talking about?

Better watch out, or I might have to start posting what Will Avery and Corey Maggete thought about their time at Duke(sic)...:)

I would say that part of the reason for Elton Brand's comments were in response to the way that students (I am guilty of that too, though I had my picture taken with Brand and two friends of mine the day he announced his entry into the NBA draft) and the Chronicle (Duke's daily newspaper) treated the (at the time) potential and very real, possibly devastating situation of losing most of the team to early entrance into the NBA, one to graduation (the Alaskan Assassin Trajan Langdon), and one to transfer. For all we know, Elton Brand could have said that at a party when he was completely drunk. Granted that doesn't justify this kind of comment alone, but the way that whole situation unfolded, especially with Avery and Maggette, he had somewhat of reason to express anger.

It doesn't matter, Duke still won the National Championship two years later, and it won't be our last.

GO DUKE!!

P.S. Hey Tar Holes, 8-20 record?? Are y'all going to beat that this year with a 9-19 record? See y'all on February 5, don't cry too hard. I knew Carolina was awful when I sat 3rd row courtside last year at UNC for the Duke game, having bought a scalped ticket for 35 bucks (which would normally go much, much higher for the seat I had), surrounded by a sea of Tarhole Blue, and some the UNC fans were actually cheering for Duke. That's just sad. Things won't be much different this year, I'm afraid.

Oh, and one more thing...Elton Brand, Avery, and Maggette all came back to play in the 1st Annual Alumni Basketball Game last year to support Duke and to raise money for Grant Hill's charity.

And, Financial Aid at Duke meets 100% of need. There are no "merit" scholarships, how can you at the Top Third school in the nation?

Again, GO DUKE!

overrated: UPenn, Yale, Hopkins, UCSF

underrated: Harvard, and the website where you can get the non-accredited Ph.D. degrees

overrated: Columbia
underrated: Stanford

way underrated: Harvard... This place rocks! It has surpassed all my sky-high expectations.

Hahaha... this thread is fun. Absolutely silly.

Originally posted by Sweet Tea
:) sistakaren! gotta love bitter dookies. ;)

go heels.

I would hope that you too would not enjoy having your school dissed and would try to defend it.

Not bitter, but dont see any reason for all their enmity. Looking through past posts, I dont see any Duke alum acting like a jerk or anything.

I do know that in the past 2 weeks, two students from a certain school that shall go unnamed flamed jot and several others, but apparently that's OK because that school isn't ranked high.

It just sucks that I keep having to read stuff dissing my alma mater. I would hope you would feel the same way about yours.

I would like to comment on this matter. There isn't any point to trashing each other school. Even though I don't attend Duke, I think that it is a great university. Most people are just jealous that they didn't have the chance of going to a good name university such as Duke, Harvard, Penn, and Stanford. STOP THE HATIN HATERS.

Originally posted by Raptor
I would like to comment on this matter. There isn't any point to trashing each other school. Even though I don't attend Duke, I think that it is a great university. Most people are just jealous that they didn't have the chance of going to a good name university such as Duke, Harvard, Penn, and Stanford. STOP THE HATIN HATERS.

Thanks man. I agree, every university has its redeeming aspects (that is why we attend them!). So what good is it to diss other peoples universities unless you lack complete confidence in yourself. I could completely understand this sort of behavior in terms of sports, because, hey, its part of the fun. But when it comes to stuff like med schools and whatnot, you are really just being an ass by trying to insult others.

Overrated: Hopkins

Underrated: Lothar's College of Leeches and Bleedings

Overrated: Going to a East Coast Med School

Underrated: UC Med Schools (except UCSF)

:D Just kidding about the overrated thing! You know I love the East Coast. Just a Cali guy... :)

Overrated: Your school

Underrated: My school

Overrated: YALE, Duke, Columbia

Underrated: Penn, Cornell

By the way, Duke throws a lot of grants (not loans, but grants that you don't have to pay back) around. That might explain why some kids who go to Duke cannot say much on what about the SCHOOL (not $$$) that really attracted them in the first place.

no way man! :)
everyone at yale med loves it. . .
plus, it's a great town to live in, despite what seems to be
popular opinion.
yale is rated just fine.

Originally posted by DW
of course, there is no potential for bias coming from you...... :p

although i agree whole heartedly :)

Biased? me? na :)

Anyone know anything about the University of Maryland School of Medicine?

How is that as far as rated, overrated, or underrated?

I know students at Maryland like to say that other schools are overrated, but how's the Twerp School of Medicine? Is it closely ranked with Lothar's College of Leeches and Bleedings?

Just curious!

Originally posted by DukeBluDevl02
Anyone know anything about the University of Maryland School of Medicine?

How is that as far as rated, overrated, or underrated?

I know students at Maryland like to say that other schools are overrated, but how's the Terp School of Medicine? Is it closely ranked with Lothar's College of Leeches and Bleedings?

Just curious!

Yeah, Maryland likes calling other schools overrated. Then they take it up the arse when Duke drops 10 points on them in 54 seconds at Cole.

Its an OK school, especially if you are in-state. Otherwise its pretty tough to get in. My friend who applied there really didnt like the area it was in, but others might (cant be any worse than JHU undergrad)