Overrated / Underrated

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Originally posted by Ryo-Ohki
Underrated
Mayo

Overrated
Howard

Underrated: Howard University College of Medicine

Overrated: Ryo-Ohki's self perception of himself as intelligent and witty.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by DukeBluDevl02
P.S. Hey Tar Holes, 8-20 record?? Are y'all going to beat that this year with a 9-19 record? See y'all on February 5, don't cry too hard. I knew Carolina was awful when I sat 3rd row courtside last year at UNC for the Duke game, having bought a scalped ticket for 35 bucks (which would normally go much, much higher for the seat I had), surrounded by a sea of Tarhole Blue, and some the UNC fans were actually cheering for Duke. That's just sad. Things won't be much different this year, I'm afraid.

Oh please...who are you guys gonna send against us? Casey Sanders?? hehehehe...

Yeah yeah...we were crap last year...but we're comin' back. Oh yeah.

Originally posted by AegisZero
It just sucks that I keep having to read stuff dissing my alma mater. I would hope you would feel the same way about yours.

I think I would if someone from UNJ-Durham dissed Carolina...but from an alum, I'd take it differently, I'd imagine. Eh..doesn't matter really..not like any former Blue Devils are really doing anything in the NBA anyway...hahahahaha!

::sorry....had to diss Duke again!::

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by DukeBluDevl02

And, Financial Aid at Duke meets 100% of need. There are no "merit" scholarships, how can you at the Top Third school in the nation?

Again, GO DUKE!

Are you sure about that? Two of my hommies from high school got full merit based rides out there.

Originally posted by SistaKaren
I think I would if someone from UNJ-Durham dissed Carolina...but from an alum, I'd take it differently, I'd imagine. Eh..doesn't matter really..not like any former Blue Devils are really doing anything in the NBA anyway...hahahahaha!

Yeah, always amused by this UNJ-Durham thing, but there are more people from California than Jersey at Duke. If my sister ends up at Carolina, I guess we'll have a family rivalry over basketball, as I've always been a Duke fan...

So it seems like much of this thread is based on grudges. :) Bitter much, people? :)

Originally posted by SistaKaren

Yeah, Im sorry that Jay Williams triple double as a rookie against Jason Kidd qualifies as nothing. How have last year's Tar Hole draftees been doing in the NBA... oh WAIT.

Congrats on your exhibition game loss, looks like this season is gonna turn out a lot like last season for you guys =)

University of Arkansas Medical School is way underrated. It's got really nice facilities, a high average MCAT score(for a non-California state school), a great faculty, housing is cheap, the school is tough academically but people can still sleep!. a higher pass rate on the USMILE than some of the fancy northern schools, and all for an affordable price! I may be a little biased coming from the great town of Grady, AR! But honestly, the only thing those ivy leagues have up on UAMS is the big name....

underrated:
UCLA
Drexel
Howard
UCSD
UCSF (IMO should be #3 after Harvard and Hopkins)

overrated:
Jefferson
University of Washington
UPenn
Standford
Duke

What about Washington University in St. Louis? Underated / overrated / just right?

~Simon

Originally posted by Simon
What about Washington University in St. Louis? Underated / overrated / just right?

~Simon

Just right. It's an awesome school.

y did someone say howard was overrated?? what made you say that?

Originally posted by aye
y did someone say howard was overrated?? what made you say that?

Well if i remember correctly, its because she's a 1st yr at howard med

i may be a bit biased, but i don't think i'm going out on a limb when I say Baylor is way under-rated.

P. Parker

Members don't see this ad :)
These threads are always stupid. Overrated/Underrated relative to what? Half the schools people report as overrated are schools they got rejected from or don't have the numbers to get into, and half the Underrated schools are schools that people like that aint' ranked on the arbitrary-a$$ US News and World Report ranking.

Go to the school that you like, that makes you feel comfortable, that fits your interest, that gives you opportunity to be the best physician you can be. But I forget, I am talking to future medical students, and half of you woulnd't even be applying to medical school if medicine didn't harbor prestige in our society, so I'm wasting my time asking you to have some real intergrity.

YAWN.

hush now, ochieng... its going to be ok. slowly click on the "back" button and leave the thread- there you go! now, dont you and your overabundance of integrity feel better?
geez you sure taught us a lesson or two with your elloquent "aint" and how you talked about prestige... then you yawned- wow, you are amazing! so amazing in fact that YOU are underrated for that incerdible social life you must have! thanks for sacrificing your saturday night to teach us a lesson!

Originally posted by DW
howard, underrated? someone care to explain how this might factor into that question :confused:
First of all, Howard School of Medicine is not, at all, the same entity as the graduate education programs. Completely different administration, objectives, methods, trach record.... So don't mistake the two.

Secondly, this is a time of unparalleled flux in the structure of graduate medical education. The ACGME is creating and enforcing mandates which are revolutionizing resident training. Many programs are for the first time finding themselves in poor standing with the ACGME. Yale surgery just was taken off probation recently. Virtually no programs are in compliance with the mandates; whether or not your program is handled severely - like in the case of Howard - or with tolerance and patience - as in the case of most others - is a very political matter. I'll just leave it at that.

Originally posted by lotanna
Well if i remember correctly, its because she's a 1st yr at howard med

It was Ryo-Ohki or whatever his name is that said Howard is overrated.

I, medicine2006, say that it is Underrated.

Don't get us confused!

ANd I am a he!

Originally posted by womansurg
First of all, Howard School of Medicine is not, at all, the same entity as the graduate education programs. Completely different administration, objectives, methods, trach record.... So don't mistake the two.

Secondly, this is a time of unparalleled flux in the structure of graduate medical education. The ACGME is creating and enforcing mandates which are revolutionizing resident training. Many programs are for the first time finding themselves in poor standing with the ACGME. Yale surgery just was taken off probation recently. Virtually no programs are in compliance with the mandates; whether or not your program is handled severely - like in the case of Howard - or with tolerance and patience - as in the case of most others - is a very political matter. I'll just leave it at that.

i was just curious, thanx

I would hope that you too would not enjoy having your school dissed and would try to defend it.

Not bitter, but dont see any reason for all their enmity. Looking through past posts, I dont see any Duke alum acting like a jerk or anything.

I do know that in the past 2 weeks, two students from a certain school that shall go unnamed flamed jot and several others, but apparently that's OK because that school isn't ranked high.

It just sucks that I keep having to read stuff dissing my alma mater. I would hope you would feel the same way about yours.

okay, okay...the "bitter dookie" i was referring to was Brand, not you or anyone else posting on this forum (unless brand has all of a sudden decided to go to med school and now posts on SDN). admittedly, dook is not my favorite school but i am able to keep my insults confined to the basketball court. my apologies for the misunderstanding. relax and breathe...inhale...exhale...inhale...exhale...

if i remember correctly, that thread flaming jot you were refering to wasn't well received. in my SDN experience, i don't think most people really care what school you go to as long as you don't act like a jerk. there have been trolls from "top universities" and from podunk U. there have also been really nice, helpful, and tactful posters from the entire college spectrum.

now carry on with the underrate/overrated listing!! :)

Originally posted by Sweet Tea
okay, okay...the "bitter dookie" i was referring to was Brand, not you or anyone else posting on this forum (unless brand has all of a sudden decided to go to med school and now posts on SDN). admittedly, dook is not my favorite school but i am able to keep my insults confined to the basketball court. my apologies for the misunderstanding. relax and breathe...inhale...exhale...inhale...exhale...

if i remember correctly, that thread flaming jot you were refering to wasn't well received. in my SDN experience, i don't think most people really care what school you go to as long as you don't act like a jerk. there have been trolls from "top universities" and from podunk U. there have also been really nice, helpful, and tactful posters from the entire college spectrum.

now carry on with the underrate/overrated listing!! :)

Well fine if Duke isnt your favorite school, I frankly dont care. But do you really think the whole world cares whether you like Duke or not? Search through all my posts and see if I make even ONE disparaging remark (that I myself instigate) about UNC. If you hate duke, fine, PM me all day about how you think it sucks. But I dont think the whole SDN community really cares. In fact, I bet many in the SDN community applied to Duke Med.

I argue with plenty of UNC ppl on the Duke basketball message boards, because we know that it is solely in the context of sports. When you start saying crap about other people's school on a board that discusses something more serious than sports, then I have a problem.

So yeah, if you hate Duke. PM me and we will argue if I care to respond. But telling the whole world about it is really nothing more than a cyber ego-trip.

PS. And dont give me this "relax" BS, I am perfectly within my rights to launch a 30 second tirade, especially after others have done so to diss my school. Its not gonna ruin my day by any stretch of the imagination, but it is annoying to see while Im perusing the boards.

Looking through past posts, I dont see any Duke alum acting like a jerk or anything.
Not until you got online, anyway.

Leave Sweet Tea alone. She's done nothing but be a good natured peace maker, and engage in harmless SPORTS related school rivalry.

Everybody restrict their comments about Duke to positives only please, so Aegis here WILL calm down.

All right, now that that fun little episode is over and done with, can we leave Jr. High and get back to med schools?

Originally posted by Woots32
All right, now that that fun little episode is over and done with, can we leave Jr. High and get back to med schools?

That was my main point all along.

Originally posted by mamie
overrated: UPenn, Yale, Hopkins, UCSF

underrated: Harvard, and the website where you can get the non-accredited Ph.D. degrees
To which website are you referring?

As far as Harvard being overrated, any school that gets *that* much hype will be overrated. But that doesn't mean that it's not the best medical school in the entire country. Even the Beatles could've been overrated in their time. ;) I do agree that Yale is way overrated, though.

For underrated schools, I agree that Pitt is one.

Temple is also another. I've heard really good things about their integrated program & their second-to-none clinical experience. Rochester is also underrated.

Rochester has a fantastic program, but like Pittsburgh, Rochester suffers from the cold factor & not so great nightlife. :(

Originally posted by womansurg
Not until you got online, anyway.

Leave Sweet Tea alone. She's done nothing but be a good natured peace maker, and engage in harmless SPORTS related school rivalry.

Everybody restrict their comments about Duke to positives only please, so Aegis here WILL calm down.

:laugh: womansurg, you're funny

ok, i must sleep now, i must be more drunk than i thought.....people are flaming sweet tea of all people :confused:

Originally posted by mamie

underrated: Harvard

Originally posted S.c. Cdc28p

way underrated: Harvard

Yes, Harvard is definitely underrated. How dare they rate it only as NUMBER 1!? If they had any sense at all, they'd assign Harvard a fraction or decimal rating, like 0.5, or perhaps venture into negative numbers. Geez, what are people thinking?

Originally posted by CaNEM
Yes, Harvard is definitely underrated. How dare they rate it only as NUMBER 1!? If they had any sense at all, they'd assign Harvard a fraction or decimal rating, perhaps .5.

damn skippy!:clap:

When I was younger, popular media brainwashed me into believing Howard was a top tier school. It is not. Hence, I say it is overrated.

About time someone suggested a fractional/negative number rating for Harvard. To think that they had to be mentioned in the same breath as Podunk schools like Hopkins, Washington and Duke. Blech. I feel like my IQ dropped a few points just by saying their names.

The USNews ratings are overrated. When you have to have an emergency operation are you gonna only ask for a surgeon that graduated from a top 50 school or are you gonna take whomever is capable of getting the job done right?

I think Duke has this "Holier-Than-Thou" attitude that just pisses some people off, regardless of how much they want to like it. I got accepted as an undergrad, and it was absolutely my #1 choice before visiting schools.
But when I finally visited Duke, I basically got the message "YOU ARE SO PRIVILIDGED TO BE ALLOWED TO COME TO OUR SCHOOL," from everyone that I talked to, and it completely turned me off. Applying to Med schools, I still get the same feeling from Duke. It's a great school on paper, but it reeks of EGO, Elitism, and self-absorption.

Overrated.

Just my Humble Opinion. If this pushes any buttons....Bring It On.

Just wanted to chime in on this whole overrated/underrated junk.

I goto Duke for undergrad, and while its not the greatest place on earth, im pretty darn happy here. A lot of people seem to have gotten the wrong impression of the place, but if you stick around and open your eyes you will see that Duke is like just about every other school in the country. The simple fact is, universities differ very little from each other. Most contain pretty average (personality-wise) college students who all want the same occupations as their peers at other schools. Sure academics and cost and sports vary a bit, but the fact is you would be really hard pressed to tell the difference between any group of schools without a US News in your hand or some preconceived bias.

So yeah, maybe Duke is overrated. Heck, I think its underrated. I just want to know why the hell does it matter that any school is rated at all? Seems like a bunch of SDNers frown upon US News rankings, and then come up with their own subjective rankings. Seems sorta hypocritical to me.

I think we really overexaggerate the differences between schools, and moreover, differences between the students at those schools. There would be no way that none of us SDNers could tell what school we went too without putting it in our profiles or telling others. In real life, there is really no way to tell whether someone went to Harvard or University of Hawaii unless they tell you. I think thats a convincing argument for how alike most students are.

Just my .02

I don't know if I'd agree completely with the idea that the major differentiating factors between schools are cost and athletics. I've been to three different schools now (undergrad, then in cities where I've worked), and I think the differences are both more substantial, and harder to see from outside than that.

For example, registration/add/drop rules make a huge difference in your life, and who even bothers to check that out before deciding on a school?

Computer accessibility on campus, and campus accessibility via computer also determine to a large extent how much time it takes you to do the mundane things you have to do as a student.

Extent of library holdings, and number of journals available electronically, can be a help or hindrance you third and fourth years, when you'll want to treat patients using the latest information. PubMed abstracts can only get you so far.

Support services for grant-writing and funding searches are amazingly helpful when you're new to the process and/or just getting started with a research program or project.

And who can forget PARKING? Perhaps the most forgotten thing, and the one with perhaps the biggest impact on quality of life as a commuter student (which almost all of us will be).

Most of us know that pass/fail vs A-F grading is something that we need to think about, as well as traditional vs PBL vs organ system based teaching. But who really looks at these other things before making up their mind?

Originally posted by Samoa
I don't know if I'd agree completely with the idea that the major differentiating factors between schools are cost and athletics. I've been to three different schools now (undergrad, then in cities where I've worked), and I think the differences are both more substantial, and harder to see from outside than that.

For example, registration/add/drop rules make a huge difference in your life, and who even bothers to check that out before deciding on a school?

Computer accessibility on campus, and campus accessibility via computer also determine to a large extent how much time it takes you to do the mundane things you have to do as a student.

Extent of library holdings, and number of journals available electronically, can be a help or hindrance you third and fourth years, when you'll want to treat patients using the latest information. PubMed abstracts can only get you so far.

Support services for grant-writing and funding searches are amazingly helpful when you're new to the process and/or just getting started with a research program or project.

And who can forget PARKING? Perhaps the most forgotten thing, and the one with perhaps the biggest impact on quality of life as a commuter student (which almost all of us will be).

Most of us know that pass/fail vs A-F grading is something that we need to think about, as well as traditional vs PBL vs organ system based teaching. But who really looks at these other things before making up their mind?

Maybe it is just my personal opinion, but those sound like more minor differences. Im talking about the people who are rating schools as:

Overrated: Harvard = Spawn of Satan

Underrated: School I got an interview at, because it obviously must be awesome and just not getting much attention if I got in. How can ANYONE want to goto an overrated school. They are full of self-absorbed arrogant arses who all abuse children nightly!

I agree though, there are several minor differences that might add up, but there is nothing majorly different between universities-- at least to the extent people on this thread think there are.

Aight, aight.... I was tryin' to hate ya, but now I just gotta give you props for being all Big about it. Nicely said Aegis. :cool:

Spawn of Satan...too funny!

But I stand by my post. The hassle factor is without doubt a major difference between schools. Well, that and the weather.

So, my own ratings:

overrated=all the schools that haven't interviewed me

underrated=my qualifications :D

Originally posted by wazupshah
Aight, aight.... I was tryin' to hate ya, but now I just gotta give you props for being all Big about it. Nicely said Aegis. :cool:

LOL.. I wasnt trying to be all big about it. I just think we should hate each other for our sporting teams, not for people like us =P

Haha.. I think we can summarize this thread with the following:

Overrated: Reputable school that I wanted to goto that rejected me/waitlisted me/ hasnt responded yet.

Underrated: School I got into

Originally posted by stercel2007
I have a theory on Mayo...may be wrong. Since Mayo is a major center and clinic where people with money go all around the world, they go there for the best available care. I would imagine that they won't let their med students take care of the patients that much, since the people that go there pay big bucks for the best specialized doctors and not medical school students for them to learn on patients. Therefore, the med students don't really get much of their own clinical experience, even though they probably see a lot of stuff and work with the best clinicians in the world. When they go off to residency, it might be the first time they are taking charge, and they might not be ready. Just a theory

Ahh yes.... Alas, after a long winded vacation from the old SDN board I've finally gotten around to checking the threads out. I'm a first-year MD/PhD student at Mayo -- born and raised in NYC. People always wonder why I left NY to come to Rochester, MN -- but it's gotta be one of the best decisions I've ever made. This place rocks! Furthermore, when visiting my buddies in "nearby" cities at to other MSTP some weekends ago, I just felt more reassured by my choice to come here. I can go on and on about the place but I guess I'll cut right to the chase and chime in on the technical role of the med-student on the wards.

I guess the interesting thing about this place is that fact that it has a medical school with a class of 42 and a resident population of thousands. So, intuitively, where does the mere med-student fit in? The truth of the matter is, because of the extremely small class size amongst one of the largest medical practices in the world -- with a case load that seriously blows my mind -- the med-student here has no "defined" role as they would in say...NYC (I'm more familiar with the NYC schools). For instance, elsewhere it's the medstudents job (depending on year/experience), to put in the foley, central lines, NG tubes and what-nots oh and how can I forget the meaningless SCUT -- and usually that's all they do. However, here it Mayo there are teams that are employed to stuff like that (i.e. cath-team, LP-team, etc.).

Nonetheless, the Mayo med students are highly regarded here at the clinic (many of the higher-up attendings on staff are Mayo grads). Thus, we can usually do anything we want -- but we usually just have to jump in and tell the team "I'll take care of that" or "Hi, I'm a first-year, can you show me how to do that?"and that's it -- and if we want we can be putting in lines, etc. as much as we want. Furthermore, the teams that do this are highly skilled. We don't learn techniques from a semi-skilled person who's probably done it once after having learned it from some other resident who then shows a medstudent yada, yada. Learning how to do an LP from someone who does it all day long, everyday, is better than picking it up from a resident who's probably never done one since medschool.

I've actually been to the OR several times on my free afternoons and have put in foleys, written post-op notes, put in an NG tube, and even suture incisions on an emergency neurosurgery case. Two nights ago I actually got to take out some punches of tumor in a spinal cord case while the chief-resident had to answer the phone -- I was actually plugging out flecks of tumor from the epidural region of the cord with the tumor-punch! Mind you, I'm a FIRST-YEAR medical student.

However, even after having done some of the procedures, the most valuable time I had was learning the points on performing a thorough and diagnostic neurological exam, learning to how to read a CT or MRI properly, watching and listening to how some of the best surgeons make decisions on when to and NOT to operate -- and most of all just being on the team with some of the best minds in the medical vocation.

In any case, you can do what you want provided you show the necessary interest, confidence and fundamental understanding of what's going on.

DISLAMER TO THOSE SEEKING CARE AT THE CLINIC: Everything I did was highly supervised and monitored (there was a another resident in the OR while I did anything). The surgeons here are the BEST IN THE WORLD (particularly neurosurg) --- and our medstudents (at least my classmates) are EXCELLENT :D :D