Overrepresented Minorities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
image.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Gotcha. You don't know so you're just gonna bow out. I expected no less. I'm pretty sure you're trolling, so I'm just gonna put you on ignore. Peace kid.
Alright, I should actually give a serious response. It's fine to disagree with UIM admissions policies, but please provide more informed rebuttals when doing so.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
If anything, the numbers of AA's are decreasing in med school admissions. Asian students are represented well out of proportion in med school classes compared to their numbers in the US population.

USA: ~5% (source: http://www.cdc.gov/minorityhealth/populations/REMP/asian.html)

Med schools (from MSAR):
Yale: 30%
Harvard: 30% (AA 6.7%)
Albany: 29%
Drexel: 34%
U IA: 16%
Mercer: 11% (AA 4%)

My own school (~25-30%)

My God, even at Howard, a HBC, Asians make up 13% of the class!!!

I don't feel like going back and filling in the rest of the AA stats, but they're all tiny...single digits, when AA are ~12.5% of the US.

Are you so selfish and so entitled that you argue against URM admissions to bitch over 3-4 Asian kids who didn't get into Mercer???

As I am proud of pointing out: Asians are the most successful minority group in the history of the US, even more than the Jews.

As we keep trying to remind you, it's not always about the grades.

The "best" don't have to be the brightest, not do the "brightest" have to be the best.

And again, it's not what you want, it's what the schools want.

No one is entitled to a seat in medical school merely on the basis of the grades. The system is, surprisingly, meritocratic. And do try to remember that merit doesn't always mean numbers, it can also mean the road traveled.

The reason, as we keep trying to (futilely) point out, is that URM are desired as applicants precisely because they are URM.

So please restrain your cognitive dissonance.

A classic example of "don't question the system". Even though the system is completely against Asians, they should just take it lying down right? Asians are so stupid for disliking a system that's completely unfair against them, right

So pretty much, Asians have to apply to DO schools to be equal with their peers. Yeah! Equality! Do you really see nothing wrong with that? In all honesty?

The URM advantage isn't because Adcoms are mean, or don't like Asians, or they live in a kumbayah world...it's because disparities in the diversity of health care providers end up causing disparities in health care, period. There's tons of this in PubMed.

First off, if minorities did just fine with any doctor, then there would be less of an impetus for URM policies. However, I seriously doubt that US medical schools think that having a 100% white or Asian clinician population will best serve the interests of American Medicine.

A little light reading material. Pay attention to the second paragraph here:
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/17/opinion/sunday/the-case-for-black-doctors.html

http://www.diversityinc.com/diversi...k-doctors-mean-worse-medical-care-for-blacks/

http://nnlm.gov/bhic/2004/09/22/missing-persons-minorities-in-the-health-professions/

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21222063

What inherent value is there in being a URM in medicine? Does it make you a better doctor? Specific examples?
There's tons of this in PubMed.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If anything, the numbers of AA's are decreasing in med school admissions. Asian students are represented well out of proportion in med school classes compared to their numbers in the US population.

No one is entitled to a seat in medical school merely on the basis of the grades. The system is, surprisingly, meritocratic. And do try to remember that merit doesn't always mean numbers, it can also mean the road traveled.

Maybe that's because Asians consistently have the best GPA and MCAT scores?

Merit can also mean your race right? Something that you didn't work for at all and were just born into? You're given an inherent advantage just because you happen to be African American?

Also, I'm not Asian lol. I'm a Caucasian female, so everyone can stop with the ad hominem attacks. I just know when a system is fundamentally faulty. I also know when people are just straight up delusional when they say things like "life isn't fair" or "just work harder".

Quick question, is it advisable for the first day of med school to bring me and my parent's tax info from the last 10 years so my peers will accept me and think I 'deserved' my spot in the class?
I don't want them to think I'm part of that 99% of accepted URMs whose parents are filthy rich and had all these great resources growing up!

/s

Reactions: 7 users
I just read that there are fewer AA males in medical school today than in 1977. These miniscule numbers should be considered a travesty to anyone that understands that health disparities still have a racial component.

Reactions: 2 users
Quick question, is it advisable for the first day of med school to bring me and my parent's tax info from the last 10 years so my peers will accept me and think I 'deserved' my spot in the class?
I don't want them to think I'm part of that 99% of accepted URMs whose parents are filthy rich and had all these great resources growing up!

/s
I think buying your classmates drinks would do more to solidify your spot. :p

Reactions: 1 users
Merit can mean the road travelled too, even it's wearing a black or brown skin.

If you don't believe that, ask the family of Sandra Bland or the people of Ferguson, MO.

Working to get a 3.3 GPA or a MCAT of 27 is still working for it, and given the institutional disparities that exist for URM, med schools are OK with this. And UR<s don't get an automatic accept just by walking through the door. They have to be able to survive med school. We're doing no one nay favors by admitting people who can't hack it. This is a major difference between professional schools and UG AA p0licies.

BTW, one can do fine in med school with those numbers.

Odd how no one bitches about legacy admissions.

Merit can also mean your race right? Something that you didn't work for at all and were just born into? You're given an inherent advantage just because you happen to be African American?

Also, I'm not Asian lol. I'm a Caucasian female, so everyone can stop with the ad hominem attacks. I just know when a system is fundamentally faulty. I also know when people are just straight up delusional when they say things like "life isn't fair" or "just work harder".

I don't know why this is so difficult to understand. If Asians were willing to practice in extremely rural areas and very low income neighborhoods, they would not have such a difficult time getting into medical school. As it stands, most Asians want predominantly to specialize for a competitive salary in a metropolitan area with primarily insured patients. Hell, I am one of them. Do I want to be involved in service in some capacity? Yes. Would I want to open a practice in Englewood or Rural West Virginia? Not really. I don't think I'd relate to those patients very well despite my best efforts, and they certainly would not relate to me.

If a hypothetical Asian was passionate about serving and understanding these communities, and had the experience and personal statement to back it up, I am confident that schools would be more lenient with the numbers.

If you don't believe that, ask the family of Sandra Bland or the people of Ferguson, MO.

Yeah? What about the black students who grew up in wealthy homes and went to private schools? Do they get an advantage just because of the blacks in Ferguson? Or what about Asians who grew up in poor neighborhoods and had to struggle throughout life? You know that this type of Asian is common right? AKA, the ones whose parents just immigrated to the US with no money and is barely scraping by. Not all Asians are rich and successful like the ones you see in movies. Those types of Asians are the minorities. The majority of Asians grew up in poor neighborhoods just like some African Americans. And guess what? Even with that disadvantage, Asians are STILL the best students. But yeah, let's punish those Asians just because they do so well and we don't want our med schools to be 100% Asian.

I don't know why this is so difficult to understand. If Asians were willing to practice in extremely rural areas and very low income neighborhoods, they would not have such a difficult time getting into medical school. As it stands, most Asians want predominantly to specialize for a competitive salary in a metropolitan area with primarily insured patients. Hell, I am one of them. Do I want to be involved in service in some capacity? Yes. Would I want to open a practice in Englewood or Rural West Virginia? Not really. I don't think I'd relate to those patients very well despite my best efforts, and they certainly would not relate to me.

If a hypothetical Asian was passionate about serving and understanding these communities, and had the experience and personal statement to back it up, I am confident that schools would be more lenient with the numbers.

Why are you assuming that blacks are willing to return to their low income neighborhoods? Really naive of you to think that these black students are so noble and altruistic, but Asians aren't.

Why are you assuming that blacks are willing to return to their low income neighborhoods? Really naive of you to think that these black students are so noble and altruistic, but Asians aren't.
They are a hell of a lot more likely to do so than Asians are. Given the massive issue we have with doctor distribution, that's a chance adcoms have to take.

Why are you assuming that blacks are willing to return to their low income neighborhoods?
Because there are dozens of journals, surveys and objective data that show this.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)

How much time have you spent researching whether or not black physicians go on to practice in or contribute to high-needs areas at higher rates than other ethnicities?

How much time have you spent researching the effects of increasing black representation in health care?

Not only are you ignorant about what the effects actually are, but you're totally dismissive of the people trying to help you understand what they are.

So not only are you angry and outraged, but you refuse to research or learn about things that might change your opinion. I'm only guessing here, but I imagine you're not a medical student or physician.

lol because Affirmative Action actually helps Caucasian females more so than any other race LOLOLOL!

...out of all the studies you could have picked, you chose this one? Didn't you ever learn how to critique and question research articles in college? Or did you just go to some rank 300 school? "Duke University is a highly respected and top-ranked Ivy League institution." Clearly whoever wrote this is well-informed on the topic LOL. The entire article is about how difficult it is to get URMs into medical school. They perform so poorly, that the author even proposed making a "creative pipeline programming for URM's". In other words, not only will URM's get special treatment in applications, they'll also have a separate program just to help them along? Yeah, I'm convinced that merit is dead in America. Instead of requiring students to get better, let's just lower standards!

Honestly, do you even read the articles that you post? Or do you just cherry pick things that support your argument from the abstract?

lol because Affirmative Action actually helps Caucasian females more so than any other race LOLOLOL!

You're on probationary status, so I'm just going to assume that you're a troll. Good attempt though!

Of all the black and hispanic people I know who are interested in healthcare in some capacity (be it physician, pharmacist, nurse, whatever) the vast majority said they'd go straight to an underserved community here in the US or abroad. Even if they have dreams of more competitive specialties or top tier schools they still want to bring their services to communities who don't have the same access as more affluent ones. Of course what I said was anecdotal and is certainly not true of all URM pre-meds (or that all Asian pre-meds want to live/practice in a cushy suburban area).

LOL good try at deflection. Try again mudasucka LOL. Can you explain why WHITE females are better served by affirmative action? No? ok bye ;)
@WonderGrill

Last edited:
...out of all the studies you could have picked, you chose this one? Didn't you ever learn how to critique and question research articles in college? Or did you just go to some rank 300 school? "Duke University is a highly respected and top-ranked Ivy League institution." Clearly whoever wrote this is well-informed on the topic LOL. The entire article is about how difficult it is to get URMs into medical school. They perform so poorly, that the author even proposed making a "creative pipeline programming for URM's". In other words, not only will URM's get special treatment in applications, they'll also have a separate program just to help them along? Yeah, I'm convinced that merit is dead in America. Instead of requiring students to get better, let's just lower standards!

Honestly, do you even read the articles that you post? Or do you just cherry pick things that support your argument from the abstract?

Pretty harsh criticism from someone who refuses to search for anything at all.....

A caucasian woman getting angry at less fortunate people because they're entitled and out of touch with society?

Well now I've seen everything.

So then what's your brilliant solution for solving the issue we have at hand: that is that no one wants to practice in certain areas of the country? Cuz I can't really think of anything besides recruiting URMs from a young age.

I cannot believe that you used the "merit is dead" argument. It's not merit that gets you to where you are! It's the fact that you're trying to score from third base while all those URMs have to start from home! What about that is difficult to understand?

@WonderGrill first of all dude/ma'am you need to calm down and get laid to release all that anger, maybe add a little whipping and Ball Stomping to relieve all that pent up hate you have... But on a serious note, you are the perfect example why we need minorities in medicine. What would you tell a young black male/female patient when they say to you they want to be a physician ??? You think you can hide that entitlement/their not good enough mentality from them?? To answer the your question why its beneficial for having URM all you have to do is look in the mirror and see how your ignorance and hate towards these people will affect how you care for them and in the long run make you less of a well rounded person.

I see that many people here are emotionally driven, instead of logically driven. I tried my best, but it's impossible to talk to these clowns lol. Last post for me since I have work.

Of all the black and hispanic people I know who are interested in healthcare in some capacity (be it physician, pharmacist, nurse, whatever) the vast majority said they'd go straight to an underserved community here in the US or abroad. Even if they have dreams of more competitive specialties or top tier schools they still want to bring their services to communities who don't have the same access as more affluent ones. Of course what I said was anecdotal and is certainly not true of all URM pre-meds (or that all Asian pre-meds want to live/practice in a cushy suburban area).

I like your Dr. Psyduck picture.

A caucasian woman getting angry at less fortunate people because they're entitled and out of touch with society?

Well now I've seen everything.

I have to be emotionally invested in this topic to have an opinion on it? I can't argue against affirmative action because I'm white? Also, I'm more upset at the fact that Asians are pretty much screwed in America in virtually all aspects of life, and these BS excuses are made to cover it up. Institutional racism at its finest. I suggest you grow up a bit and open your eyes. Maybe open a sociology book for once in your life.

So then what's your brilliant solution for solving the issue we have at hand: that is that no one wants to practice in certain areas of the country? Cuz I can't really think of anything besides recruiting URMs from a young age.

I cannot believe that you used the "merit is dead" argument. It's not merit that gets you to where you are! It's the fact that you're trying to score from third base while all those URMs have to start from home! What about that is difficult to understand?

I understand the baseball analogy. Really. I get it. The problem is that we're using RACE to measure these things instead of SOCIOECONOMIC STATUS which was what this thread was all about before it got hijacked. Yes, someone who grew up in a poor neighborhood has disadvantages. I'll be the first to admit that. But NOT ALL BLACKS GREW UP IN POOR NEIGHBORHOODS. Why is that so hard to understand? I don't think all blacks should get a free pass because they're black. Now, if we used SES instead, that would be more logical.

@WonderGrill first of all dude/ma'am you need to calm down and get laid to release all that anger, maybe add a little whipping and Ball Stomping to relieve all that pent up hate you have...

I thought we graduated from middle school? Guess not lol.

I see that many people here are emotionally driven, instead of logically driven. I tried my best, but it's impossible to talk to these clowns lol. Last post for me since I have work.

I have to be emotionally invested in this topic to have an opinion on it? I can't argue against affirmative action because I'm white? Also, I'm more upset at the fact that Asians are pretty much screwed in America in virtually all aspects of life, and these BS excuses are made to cover it up. Institutional racism at its finest. I suggest you grow up a bit and open your eyes. Maybe open a sociology book for once in your life.

LOL aka you are currently looking up how AA can benefit you now. Glad I was able to enlighten you. Goodday Ma'am.

@WonderGrill, what about under-represented Asians i.e. Cambodians, Hmong, etc. Is it an issue when schools accept "lower stat" applicants from those communities in order to address health disparities?

@WonderGrill , do you honestly believe that a rich black kid doesn't experience racism? That teachers don't expect less of them just because they have money? That a wealthy Hispanic kid is not treated differently walking down the street? If you haven't personally seen this, you must live in a very sheltered or segregated area. Those factors have just as much of an effect on someone's goals and self-confidence.

...out of all the studies you could have picked, you chose this one?
It was obvious you hadn't read any of the others so I thought you could just skim the abstract since you ignored several other posts. Would you rather I drown you in facts? They haven't made a difference so far.

@WonderGrill , do you honestly believe that a rich black kid doesn't experience racism? That teachers don't expect less of them just because they have money? That a wealthy Hispanic kid is not treated differently walking down the street? If you haven't personally seen this, you must live in a very sheltered or segregated area. Those factors have just as much of an effect on someone's goals and self-confidence.
To play Devil's Advocate though, do you honestly believe that Asians don't experience racism?

Have to go soon, so im typing this in a rush. You think asians dont experience racism? If you're answer to this is no, im done talking to you. Racism exists against every race besides whites in america. Anyone who denies this is spoiled trash in my books, and incapable of basic human conversation

It was obvious you hadn't read any of the others so I thought you could just skim the abstract since you ignored several other posts. Would you rather I drown you in facts? They haven't made a difference so far.

Good attempt at trying to save face LMFAO. Really pathetic. Just own up to your ineptitude instead of trying to hide behind weak excuses.

tumblr_mrak1z7LIc1swp729o1_250.gif

Odd how no one bitches about legacy admissions.
I honestly don't think I've seen one thread complaining about this.

I honestly don't think I've seen one thread complaining about this.
BECAUSE THERE IS NO DISCUSSION TO BE HAD. NOBODY DEFENDS NEPOTISM/LEGACY FAVORITISM. IT WOULD BE AN ECHO CHAMBER.

Christ, when is Goro going to stop using that line. It isn't bitched about because everyone already agrees on that front. If someone came on and tried to defend the practice, then I'm sure some people would yell at them

The policy clearly exists, is not based upon merit, is definitely unfair, yet still no one complains.
But God forbid Medicine tries to help correct a health disparity problem which negatively impacts people of color, and people here complain.

BECAUSE THERE IS NO DISCUSSION TO BE HAD. NOBODY DEFENDS NEPOTISM/LEGACY FAVORITISM. IT WOULD BE AN ECHO CHAMBER.

Christ, when is Goro going to stop using that line. It isn't bitched about because everyone already agrees on that front. If someone came on and tried to defend the practice, then I'm sure some people would yell at them

Sure they do. Yet Asians are still vastly ORM in Medicine, and AA, certain Hispanics, Hmong and Cambodians are URM. Oh, nobody ever bitches about the "rich Hmong who got into med school" either. I suppose ire towards URM policies is only for when it benefits people of a particular national origin?

I've never heard the term "red lining" applied to an Asian neighborhood like mine, nor have I ever heard the term "driving while yellow", have you?

To play Devil's Advocate though, do you honestly believe that Asians don't experience racism?

Last edited:

Maybe you can help your girl @WonderGrill. Can you explain why there isn't a uproar about white females benefitting from AA more so than any race? Really looking for an answer.

I guess there are no two sides to that argument, yeah.

WE NEED MORE BLACK/HISPANIC DOCTORS. Simple.

I've worked in underserved communities and saw patients hold back information when the doctors did not look like them. Cultural Barrie's. I saw the bond patients made with their doctor when they did look like them. It is what it is.

The policy clearly exists, yet no one complains.
Holy crap man how do you not get this. Nobody brings it up because its not an opinionated issue around which a discussion can form. Everyone already agrees it's bad.

Maybe you can help your girl @WonderGrill. Can you explain why there isn't a uproar about white females benefitting from AA more so than any race? Really looking for an answer.
AA regarding genders is a separate issue, I'm not familiar with whether similar preferences are seen where women are more likely to seek and obey medical advice if their doc is female. I also believe the sexes show identical median matriculant stats so I'm not sure what you mean about females benefitting greatly from AA

WE NEED MORE BLACK/HISPANIC DOCTORS. Simple.

I've worked in underserved communities and saw patients hold back information when the doctors did not look like them. Cultural Barrie's. I saw the bond patients made with their doctor when they did look like them. It is what it is.

This. I've witnessed patients and their families be more attentive/thorough/active when they saw a medical provider/observer who looked like them or spoke their language. It's not to say EVERY patient is like that, but it happens enough that having a diverse group of physicians (not just race, but gender, sexuality, religion) is vital in improving the health of the overall population.

I understand the baseball analogy. Really. I get it. The problem is that we're using RACE to measure these things instead of SOCIOECONOMIC STATUS which was what this thread was all about before it got hijacked. Yes, someone who grew up in a poor neighborhood has disadvantages. I'll be the first to admit that. But NOT ALL BLACKS GREW UP IN POOR NEIGHBORHOODS. Why is that so hard to understand? I don't think all blacks should get a free pass because they're black. Now, if we used SES instead, that would be more logical.

I thought we graduated from middle school? Guess not lol.
The only one I see acting like a child is the person whining about how blacks are getting too much good treatment(which with recent event going on i find hilarious and shortsighted). And its clear you dont know what you are talking about because you have not done your research and its evident.... This is the new America we live in . She wont openly say her hate but read her post you can her the slimy "They aren't good enough" and the "what do they bring mentality" I know this isn't the main reason but people like you is why we need to have URM in the medical field .... Maybe having to depend on a URM individual and working beside him will change you narrow hate filled mind .....
EDIT I was wondering what her comment reminded me of and i just remembered.. Her comments have the same slimy undertones like Darren Wilson in his latest interview about the Michael Brown shooting

I also believe the sexes show identical median matriculant stats so I'm not sure what you mean about females benefitting greatly from AA
Historically white women benefited the most from AA in employment, college acceptance and wages. It is beyond the limited talk about medical school admissions but it can be seen historically in admissions as well. Look at women's acceptance rates in the 70s versus now.

@WonderGrill It's a lot easier to say race isn't significant in the medical field or the sciences when you're part of a race that is overrepresented in those fields. At the end of the day, as has been pointed out, overrepresented minorities are still just that...OVERrepresented. Affirmative action hasn't magically erased years of history and underrepresentation. Underrepresented minorities are still...UNDERrepresented. So God forbid if admission into medical school is a tad more lenient for them. At the end of the day, it's about serving patient needs and society, and whether you want to realize this or not, a large part of this has to do with race. We live in a racial society. It doesn't have do with "better knowing the anatomy of a black person" or some "spiritual black connection", it's about feeling more comfortable with someone who can relate to your experiences in this racial society, and producing minority doctors more likely to serve underserved minority communities.

Status
Not open for further replies.