overseas elective

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

firecracker

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My residency program has a couple months of elective time in which you can do just about anything as long as it's surgical. I was thinking of doing some sort of volunteer work overseas but I don't know if anything "surgical". (I feel like there are a lot of opportunities for IM, FP, and ER residents but not so much for general surgery). I looked into doctors without borders but it looks like they want folks who have a lot of experience and those who are willing to commit more than just one month at at time. Can anyone help me out with this?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know details, but there are places that offer mini-fellowships; when I interviewed for vascular, some people had done this to learn a technique they would not otherwise have performed. Several surgery residencies offer international experience; perhaps your PD has advice? Lastly, one of our alumni spoke last fall about his practice in Pakistan, and offered support to anyone who would want to get experience. PM me if you want more information about that.

I've heard of 4th year medical students doing general surgery electives in South Africa doing mainly trauma surgery. Apparently, they got great hands on experience even as med students. Maybe that's something to look into?

Members don't see this ad :)
I just sent you a private message. Hope it helps.

I am the Great Saphenous

One recent Vanderbilt surgery grad has a Fulbright scholarship and is doing surgery in Africa, Nigeria I think. It sounded very interesting when I heard about it and I know he hosts medical students, so he may be amenable to residents as well. Unfortunately I don't know his name or contact info, but I bet an industious person like you can find it.

Thanks everyone for your help. I have heard of some options in South Africa but I'm looking to be in central/south america since I speak a little bit of spanish.

thanks for the message great sap (couldn't help it). I'll look it a little more.

if anyone hears of anything, I would greatly appreciate more info

Thank you!