overseas health/medical internship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

at24

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have an opportunity to go to rural China to help a few doctors with running a free health clinic for a rural minority Chinese population. The internship will last for 3 weeks and I am promised a lot of hands on experience with the patients. Currently, I only have <100 hours of clinical experience along with ~100 hours of shadowing different docs. Im a rising senior at a top UC and my gpa is 3.65ish and was wondering if it was worthwhile to join in for the experience. If it matters I'm applying to medschool during the next cycle.

Would the international internship look bad because adcoms would expect me to help with local underserved populations? Or will any experience of this type be look on positively?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Go for it. If you're really worried just make sure that you have some local volunteer experience as well. If anyone says anything about it just spin it "I can see myself doing something similar with Docs Without Borders" in the future , or that you view medicine as a global profession, etc