Overused Topic, I know, but...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dolce7

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'll try to keep my story short. I am currently finishing my undergraduate degree in liberal arts (only a semester late). Last year I finished massage therapy school, while going to undergrad part time, and since then I have been considering a field in health. For the last few months I have been considering physical therapy because I like massage as much as I do. However, I also could see myself going into dental school.

My overall GPA right now is a 3.54, but working towards a liberal arts degree, I haven't had much science. I am taking algebra and biology next semester, and I've seen that the prereqs for both fields are roughly the same. I was planning on graduating in December, working very hard for 2-3 years to save up money while taking a prereq here and there. I read recently that it looks better to schools if you take a full course load of prereqs because it shows you can handle it. So would it be more beneficial if I stayed for the whole year and finished more prereqs at my school? That would still leave chem 1 & 2, phys 1 & 2, calc, and maybe a couple other classes. Would they frown on me taking those here and there while I work full time?

I realize that getting great letters of recommendation, shadowing, and volunteer work is important, and I would go well beyond their standards. I am wondering if I would possibly be qualified for either school, and honestly which would be more difficult for me to get into.

Thanks!

It would definitely be the most beneficial to take a full load of prereq classes. You should shadow both physical therapists and dentists to see which (if either) area you like better. Once you do that, then you will have a better idea of which classes you will need to take to make yourself competitive.

Be ready to work REALLY hard too. Even though a 3.54 GPA is pretty good, you practically have a clean slate for the science GPA. I remember that first Biology class and first chem class being a slap in the face. Just be ready to put in a lot of time and effort.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the responses!

Yeah I am prepared for the science classes to be a bit of a slap in the face. I mean, I took A&P for massage therapy school, but that is cake compared with science classes from a university. I am pretty serious about this, so I will definitely try very hard to get all A's if I can in those science classes.

I do realize that I should take the full load and stay the extra semester -- just nice to hear the confirmation. I also think I will take the advice about shadowing and try to shadow both professions this summer to get a feel for them.

Back to my other question though, anybody know the stats on whether or not it's harder to get into physical therapy school or dental school? At this point I'm 50/50 on where I could go, but I do want to know as much information as possible so I can measure myself up with realistic expectations.

Back to my other question though, anybody know the stats on whether or not it's harder to get into physical therapy school or dental school? At this point I'm 50/50 on where I could go, but I do want to know as much information as possible so I can measure myself up with realistic expectations.

This is purely anecdotal, but my cousin is in her second year of PT school in Shreveport, LA, and she said that two of her classmates decided on PT school after they couldn't get into dental school. She said they both performed poorly on the DAT.

That leads me to believe admission to dental school is more competitive, but of course that's a really small sample to judge by.