Overwhelmed - should I quit my job?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

R2ski2

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
TLDR: didn't pre-write and overwhelmed with FT work + medical issues + secondaries → should I quit my job?

I'm applying this cycle. I should've done more pre-writing, but between school, graduation, and immediately starting FT work (+ an unhealthy dose of procrastination), I didn't. Now, I'm drowning in having to write essays for 20 schools (as the secondaries roll in).

On top of that, my eyes have been very red and dry, making it really difficult to focus on anything for long. My doc thinks I've developed a hypersensitivity, but we haven't really found the culprit yet and I'm unsure when it will get better.

I'm working FT as a tech. I've had plans to put in my 2 weeks' towards the end of August and apply/start a different job, but honestly I'm so overwhelmed with work, essay writing, and medical issues that I really want to quit now. Last week, I asked if I could drop to part-time; my boss asked me to wait until August because of staffing, but by then it won't matter anyways (since I'm overwhelmed right now lol).

I need some advice on whether I should tough it out - caffeine, no sleep, just pump out essays, and get through this next month - or quit my job. I like the people I work with and wouldn't want to disappoint them like this, especially because they've been so supportive letting me work PT during school and writing me a letter of rec. On the other hand, I plan on quitting soon-ish anyways so I can get more variety in clinical experience. My parents have been really supportive and said I can stay at home for the next month or two if that's what I need (they're the best, how did I get so lucky :'))

What should I do??

Members don't see this ad.

I need some advice on whether I should tough it out - caffeine, no sleep, just pump out essays, and get through this next month - or quit my job.
No, please take care of yourself. Writing secondary essays on low sleep using caffeine to keep you going would likely lead to poorer quality ones anyways.

Reactions: 1 users
Tough love time.

You don't quit your job to write essays. You ask your manager to take a reduced schedule or a day off occasionally... AHEAD OF TIME after you tell them you are applying to medical school. If you want to be a professional, act respectfully to your managers. Like you are quizzed on PREview and Casper.

You need the money for your application process. Stop your pity party, get organized with your schedule, and do what thousands of other applicants like you have to do... show you can manage your time and priorities in a healthy way. If you cannot, you may not be as prepared for a health care career as you may believe.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
TLDR: didn't pre-write and overwhelmed with FT work + medical issues + secondaries → should I quit my job?

I'm applying this cycle. I should've done more pre-writing, but between school, graduation, and immediately starting FT work (+ an unhealthy dose of procrastination), I didn't. Now, I'm drowning in having to write essays for 20 schools (as the secondaries roll in).

On top of that, my eyes have been very red and dry, making it really difficult to focus on anything for long. My doc thinks I've developed a hypersensitivity, but we haven't really found the culprit yet and I'm unsure when it will get better.

I'm working FT as a tech. I've had plans to put in my 2 weeks' towards the end of August and apply/start a different job, but honestly I'm so overwhelmed with work, essay writing, and medical issues that I really want to quit now. Last week, I asked if I could drop to part-time; my boss asked me to wait until August because of staffing, but by then it won't matter anyways (since I'm overwhelmed right now lol).

I need some advice on whether I should tough it out - caffeine, no sleep, just pump out essays, and get through this next month - or quit my job. I like the people I work with and wouldn't want to disappoint them like this, especially because they've been so supportive letting me work PT during school and writing me a letter of rec. On the other hand, I plan on quitting soon-ish anyways so I can get more variety in clinical experience. My parents have been really supportive and said I can stay at home for the next month or two if that's what I need (they're the best, how did I get so lucky :'))

What should I do??
I think you started out right by asking to drop to part time, but your employer needs to find someone to fill in your time first.
This sounds normal and reasonable.
Work on the weekdays and write essays on the weekends, aim to do 2 schools a week, and you will get through them.
You will also soon see common themes in the secondary essay questions and you won't have to create your answers completely from the beginning each time.

Reactions: 2 users
Tough love time.

You don't quit your job to write essays. You ask your manager to take a reduced schedule or a day off occasionally... AHEAD OF TIME after you tell them you are applying to medical school. If you want to be a professional, act respectfully to your managers. Like you are quizzed on PREview and Casper.

You need the money for your application process. Stop your pity party, get organized with your schedule, and do what thousands of other applicants like you have to do... show you can manage your time and priorities in a healthy way. If you cannot, you may not be as prepared for a health care career as you may believe.
I know I should've planned better, that's totally on me.

I just found out this morning that another tech is quitting around August as well. My manager just found out. Now, I'm thinking that she won't let me drop to part time in August.

Do you think I should ask her about this?

PS - I still plan on putting in my 2 weeks' mid/end-August

I think you started out right by asking to drop to part time, but your employer needs to find someone to fill in your time first.
This sounds normal and reasonable.
Work on the weekdays and write essays on the weekends, aim to do 2 schools a week, and you will get through them.
You will also soon see common themes in the secondary essay questions and you won't have to create your answers completely from the beginning each time.
Thanks for your input!

I just found out this morning that another tech is quitting around August as well. My manager just found out. Now, I'm thinking that she won't let me drop to part time in August.

Do you think I should ask her about this? I still want to put in my 2 weeks' mid/end-August, but I would feel kinda bad about it now lol

Thanks for your input!

Do you think I should ask her about this? I still want to put in my 2 weeks' mid/end-August, but I would feel kinda bad about it now lol
You already asked, I don't think this changes anything. Are a bunch of your techs premeds?
Good practice for your long hours as a doctor!

Reactions: 1 users
If you are serious about attending medical school and becoming a doctor, I would prioritize drafting secondaries over your job as a tech. You want to put your very best foot forward. If you can quit gracefully and respectfully without leaving your employer in a bind (or, in the alternative, reduce your hours), and still have sufficient funds to get by, I would do that.

To me, the issue is quite simple. You go to your boss and tell them you need to go part time right now, or else quit. If your workplace is understaffed, and if your boss has half a brain, they should realize that having you, a trained employee, work part time is better than having no employee.

Respectfully, I disagree with the "tough love" approach. I'm not trying to be cavalier here. But you're a tech, as am I. You don't get paid enough to be loyal. And you definitely don't get paid enough to jeopardize your mental health and your application quality.

• Hmm
Reactions: 5 users
I know I should've planned better, that's totally on me.

Do you think I should ask her about this?

PS - I still plan on putting in my 2 weeks' mid/end-August
Because your employer will be in a difficult position needing to hire two new techs, I think you should let her know right now what your plans are. Are there any circumstances under which you would continue after August? If not, she needs to know ASAP.

Reactions: 1 user
Because your employer will be in a difficult position needing to hire two new techs, I think you should let her know right now what your plans are. Are there any circumstances under which you would continue after August? If not, she needs to know ASAP.
Agree. Professional courtesy is to give at least two weeks notice for an hourly job.
The more the better, particularly for jobs that require some training/onboarding time (like a tech).

You can legally give less than two weeks, but if that were to be the case you shouldn’t ever list this job in any application.

If you signed a contract, you do need to read that first and see if you’re required to give a certain amount of notice

OP why are you wanting to change jobs? Is your new job a better opportunity? Do you think it will significantly improve your application if you have to reapply? Will it add to your current application?

OP why are you wanting to change jobs? Is your new job a better opportunity? Do you think it will significantly improve your application if you have to reapply? Will it add to your current application?
I work at a specialty clinic (think like dermatology). It's such a "clean" clinic, in that everyone's from the same socioeconomic background/patient population and comes in with very similar issues. In some ways, it doesn't feel like medicine at all. I want to work as a patient care tech in an Urgent Care or hospital setting to get a broader perspective of medicine.

Also, my current job pays about $2/hr less than similar jobs in my town (after my $1 raise that I had to fight for). And right now, I'd rather work a job that's 3 12's or 4 10's rather than the 8-5 5days/wk that I'm doing now. There are lots of job openings right now, I think because students are returning to school.

It probably won't significantly improve my application, but I could make more money and I think a change would be good for me personally.