Owning a bird in medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mecidimes

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, M2 HPSP student considering getting a budgie or two. I'm concerned I won't have enough time to care for the bird in third year (and beyond), and that the bird(s) will get lonely even if I get a pair of them. Thoughts?

There's a similar post on here about getting a bird but I wanted some thoughts specifically from M3s and above. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I feel that unless you have a partner who strongly feels that they want a pet and are going to contribute to its care, there's no justification for a med student or resident to get a pet. Some medical students and residents struggle quite a bit, and have to go into "survival mode" where they drop all other commitments just to make it through. You don't know how hard it's gonna be for you until you've done it. A pet is a commitment you can't drop no matter how much need to. Why risk it?

Birds are particularly bad in this regard. If you get two, they're going to be messy and noisy, preventing you from sleeping post-call. If you get one, it's going to be very emotionally needy and prone to depression if you don't give it the attention it wants.

Reactions: 2 users
If you get a pair, they will keep each other company and not require much care
They are noisy though (we have to cockatiels)

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I inherited a parrot when my SO moved in with me. Most of the time she's fine (we think it's a she?), but occasionally she'll start screaming and won't be quiet no matter what. Kind of forced me to find somewhere else to study most of the time which was a good thing for me. Agree with Levo though, unless you're rescuing one that would die otherwise, I don't recommend getting a pet unless you have someone that can be there for it if you can't.

Reactions: 1 users
If you get two, they're going to be messy and noisy, preventing you from sleeping post-call.

They are noisy though (we have to cockatiels)

In my experience with birds (particularly budgies), they go to sleep pretty much immediately if you put a sheet over their cage. Not sure if this is the healthiest thing for them, but it's super effective if you need to take a nap or something.

Same with cockatiels. It's very useful, especially after Marty started imitating the fire alarm

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 9 users
You all have some great points! Thank you!

I disagree no pets, I always say cats are the best med student/resident companion ever

get 2 and large water/food dishes. yes it's ideal if you have more time for them, but seriously, they're fine if you only have an hour or two in the evening, or even have to be gone for a few days. as cruel as it sounds, even if I did a month long away rotation I would just have a friend 2x a week do the box and check food and water. they will live and come to forget this short period of loneliness. plenty of cats live outside with no creature comforts. mine were ecstatic when I came home & seemed none the worse for wear. they were also 2 shelter cats. all told, they live like princesses and like anyone have had a few hard times in their life.

as far as birds, I've had a cockatiel when I was equally busy. I don't know about a budgie.

if they are the type of creature that needs a friend in the cage, I think that's great. If you can get them from a shelter or otherwise rescue them, this will go a long way to easing your guilt over some of your long hours.

depending on the first two years' structure, you could choose to be home studying a lot. but keep in mind if you are the type that can do that. my bird was quiet so I easily could have had them out of the cage on a special perch right on my desk to "hang" with me to study, and little breaks to pet/play/treats. they never kept me up with noise when I put a sheet on the cage.

that sort of time home will be much more sporadic year 3. Year 4 is often as hard as you make it, which could be hard depending on what specialty you go for. After Oct you can set up a cush year with electives usually. As far as your school's 4th year requirements and how bad that is.... I dunno. You will have to be gone quite a few days for interviews, or even an away rotation

No matter your residency you're likely to hit 80 hours + /wk for the most part. There can be chill clinic or consult months or what have you somewhere in there... it will depend so much on specialty or program

Get them the biggest nicest tricked out cage you can afford. I don't know how they do with long hours to themselves, or with other humans besides their owner. See if there's other bird lovers in your school in your area and see if you can help each other out, often people end up on easy/hard rotations at different times.

Some types or individual animals do better/worse long stretches alone. The way I see it, if the bird has something "to do" or a friend in their cage, and they can tolerate just getting say an hour a day with you, it's fine. In nature, what would they be doing? Humans basically choose to live in cages (apts). I don't think many prey animals mind being in a sick tricked out condo, always a good temperature, always good food, clean water, a good mate, never any danger, provided they have something to do and someone to keep company. Just like with people, some days might be more or less boring than others. Some days might be sad days, other days you might have tons of time.

It depends on how budgies are.

Reactions: 3 users
Don't much know about budgies, but I had cockatiels and they didn't need much emotional support from me. All you have to do is refill their food and water and clean their cage occasionally and they're fine. As others have said, covering them up can help too, although ours learned what a human presence sounded like and started whistling if they heard you in the room. I'd say depending on the type of bird it would be a better pet for a busy person than a dog or cat would. Same with reptiles - very low maintenance.

I feel that budgies are pretty low maintenance. Even better if you get 2 so they keep each other company. I have a cockatiel myself, but he's back home. He'd be too loud in my apartment complex :(

Get a snake, they are very low maintenance. They only have to be fed once every 7-10 days. Plus they look adorable in hats.

5b6390f7ffe901338c01e62496df9741.jpg

Reactions: 16 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I enjoyed having pet birds during residency.
Birds that are hand-fed and that have plenty of space generally aren't as loud.
At pet stores they will tell you that buggies that aren't hand-fed can be tamed. This just isn't true. Even if you don't plan to take the bird out of the cage, I'd still try to find hand-fed birds just because they aren't as loud as non-hand-fed birds and hand-fed birds make more enjoyable pets.
Birds are great pets, and as long as you make sure to give your bird a pal they should be happy while you are in residency. It you can try to get 2 birds of opposite sex, they tend to be happier that way (not kidding). Do your research, most pet stores will tell you there is no way to tell the difference between males and females, but generally speaking male buggies have a purplish color at the top of their becks while females have a brown color.

Hey everyone, M2 HPSP student considering getting a budgie or two. I'm concerned I won't have enough time to care for the bird in third year (and beyond), and that the bird(s) will get lonely even if I get a pair of them. Thoughts?

There's a similar post on here about getting a bird but I wanted some thoughts specifically from M3s and above. Thanks!

When do you go to BOLC/OBC?

The thing to keep in mind is that you may be moving for 3rd year and perhaps away if you audition in 4th year. I feel you could easily enjoy a low maintenance pet for MS1/2. Look down the road tho.

Fwiw cats are usually quiet, low maintenance and love to do things you'll do in your limited down time (sleep, watch TV)

Last edited:
Second @Crayola227. Cats are great med school pets; you have somebody to hang out with, and they're cool with being alone most of the day. Some (aka ours) are more high maintenance and want more attention than others, but pretty much all of them will be fine if you leave them alone with food, water and a litter box while you're out all day (or even a few days).

It's a very bad idea - just keep things simple.

I disagree - med school is so lonely, and if you're the pet person type (I've never not had a cat in my entire life), coming home to an empty house could be pretty bad for your already-strained-by-med-school psyche. For me coming home to my cats was the highlight of my day, no matter how many times the ob/gyn residents kicked me & made me cry.

As far as suicidality, most people have pretty good object permanence with loved ones, but I think it might be easier to carry out such suicide plans despite knowing your mom across the country would be devastated. I think you might stop and think twice when your cat comes over to meow for the food bowl or your bird starts squawking. The time it takes you to walk over and fill their water bowl might make you reconsider. Unless you decide your pets are better off without you, which isn't the norm. In any case, a lot of people want to stick around for their pets at least.

Seriously, pets have been shown to be protective for suicide and depression. Both are the #1 cause of death in med students.

Of course, if you lose a pet that's going to be hard. Just another reason to get 2. They don't often go at the same time.

#always goes to the dark place
#but it's true just thinking like a doctor re: risk management

Don't get anything in the parrot or cockatoo families, they'll lose their damn minds without your attention.

I disagree - med school is so lonely, and if you're the pet person type (I've never not had a cat in my entire life), coming home to an empty house could be pretty bad for your already-strained-by-med-school psyche. For me coming home to my cats was the highlight of my day, no matter how many times the ob/gyn residents kicked me & made me cry.

As far as suicidality, most people have pretty good object permanence with loved ones, but I think it might be easier to carry out such suicide plans despite knowing your mom across the country would be devastated. I think you might stop and think twice when your cat comes over to meow for the food bowl or your bird starts squawking. The time it takes you to walk over and fill their water bowl might make you reconsider. Unless you decide your pets are better off without you, which isn't the norm. In any case, a lot of people want to stick around for their pets at least.

Seriously, pets have been shown to be protective for suicide and depression. Both are the #1 cause of death in med students.

Of course, if you lose a pet that's going to be hard. Just another reason to get 2. They don't often go at the same time.

#always goes to the dark place
#but it's true just thinking like a doctor re: risk management

Emotional Support Animals are a legal category precisely because of research showing their mental health benefits. I think the depressed elderly might have more time for an animal, but as long as it fits someones schedule and you can keep your pet happy, why not? Especially if you adopt, that animal would likely have been put down versus being in your home and getting a little less attention but still being appreciated

Buy a few high-maintenance plants first and see how that goes. I'm not even joking. If you are forgetting to water it or go off the watering schedule or it's not getting enough light or it's turning yellow and you can't figure out why - you might not be in a place to get a pet.

If you get a pair of budgies, make sure you get them a big enough cage, for two budgies, 39 x 20 x 32 inches is a recommended size. If you haven't owned birds before, the hand-taming process can be long and difficult, so if you aren't going to have a lot of time to spend getting the birds comfortable with you and your hands, you might want to up the cage size because that basically means they won't be spending time outside of their cage. Pet stores might give you the impression that birds will just eat seed and millet but an ideal diet for them should include about 20% fresh vegetables and 5% fruit (this requires making a conscious effort to buy bird-friendly fruits and vegetables, washing them, preparing them, making sure you take the left overs out of the cage so they don't rot, etc). Budgies can live for ~15 years, make sue you are willing to commit to that lifespan. Also you might want to look into adopting, the exotic bird trade is awful.

Birds are wonderful companions and I absolutely would love to own another one someday. I am not trying to discourage you from adopting, I just want to make sure that you know that they are a huge commitment. If you really want a pet, explore all of your options thoroughly. My friend (an undergrad) actually adopted a senior cat from a shelter because it is a pet that she can love and provide for, but also will likely not be a huge long-term commitment. Plus the senior animals tend to be put down and she felt like she was saving the cat from that fate.

Last edited:
This is all very disheartening to read considering I have a 3 year old shiba inu and headed to medical school this July.. :(

This is all very disheartening to read considering I have a 3 year old shiba inu and headed to medical school this July.. :(

Don't worry too much. There are dozens (seriously, dozens) of med students in my class who live with dogs or cats, and most of them don't have cohabitants like spouses or roommates. They make it work and I've never heard a single one of them complain. They tell me that the emotional reward they get from their animals makes it all worth it.

Plenty of my classmates have dogs - some even got puppies after they started. It does seem to help if you are in a household with multiple people, but plenty of people make it work. Anyone who has needed a petsitter has had a wealth of classmates to choose from.

I've had birds and dogs, I think the reason that people are being a bit more discouraging on this post is that the title is specifically about birds, and birds are a special brand of high maintenance. Dogs don't typically need to be extensively trained to not be afraid of your hand, they can live in the same environment as you (i.e. not a cage of a certain size with special perches), they can eat food straight out of the bag, cases of dogs ripping out their hair when bored/lonely are far less common than birds ripping out their feathers etc.

Jesus, if you are a responsible human being get whichever pet you like. I have a dog and it's the happiest dog in the world. Previously, before medical school, my wife and I worked 12-16 hour shifts and our dog could not have been happier (I had a friend let him outside on extra long days). When we are home, he receives nothing but TLC.

Medical school should not ruin your life and personal happiness, regardless of what is spewed on this website. You should actively seek that which makes you happy, as mental health is nothing to joke about.

As long as you assign something as a priority, you can make sure it gets taken care of. A woman who lives down the street from me right now sits on her a$$ all day and her dog looks like it lives out on the streets (i.e. time is what you make of it).

If students can take care of kids going to medical school, I'm sure that your dog/cat/bird/ferret/iguana/snake/tarantula will be perfectly fine as long as you're not irresponsible.

Reactions: 7 users
Jesus, if you are a responsible human being get whichever pet you like. I have a dog and it's the happiest dog in the world. Previously, before medical school, my wife and I worked 12-16 hour shifts and our dog could not have been happier (I had a friend let him outside on extra long days). When we are home, he receives nothing but TLC.

Medical school should not ruin your life and personal happiness, regardless of what is spewed on this website. You should actively seek that which makes you happy, as mental health is nothing to joke about.

As long as you assign something as a priority, you can make sure it gets taken care of. A woman who lives down the street from me right now sits on her a$$ all day and her dog looks like it lives out on the streets (i.e. time is what you make of it).

If students can take care of kids going to medical school, I'm sure that your dog/cat/bird/ferret/iguana/snake/tarantula will be perfectly fine as long as you're not irresponsible.
Thank you for this. Preachh

I'll add there's a difference between bringing a dog you already own and to med school and adopting a new dog that may be untrained and undisciplined during med school. I think when you own a dog beforehand, it's probably more manageable as they can be housetrained and already have a bond with you. The process of training a new dog, gaining it's trust, and providing those initial basic needs is more of a responsibility than a lot of people are willing to or capable of dealing with as a med student. Either way, it really depends on the individual student as well as the dog.

I'll add there's a difference between bringing a dog you already own and to med school and adopting a new dog that may be untrained and undisciplined during med school. I think when you own a dog beforehand, it's probably more manageable as they can be housetrained and already have a bond with you. The process of training a new dog, gaining it's trust, and providing those initial basic needs is more of a responsibility than a lot of people are willing to or capable of dealing with as a med student. Either way, it really depends on the individual student as well as the dog.
Well said.

And to add: yeah, it's cool to adopt a pitbull and what not, but be aware that lots (most?) of apartments REFUSE to accept restricted breeds: pits, akitas, rotties, dobies, mastiffs, etc. I'd stick to the classics: labs, greyhounds (very, very lazy dogs), goldies, etc. Also, stay away from dogs that have a penchant for barking, e.g. coonhounds.

Grew up with a pair of peach faced lovebirds that a neighbor just handed off to us before moving. They were already grown up and seemed to prefer each others company over seeing humans by that point, so care wasn't too bad.

If your situation is similar to that, I'd say it's possible to keep them as an MS3. Main duty was to change their food bowl and refill their water fountain every few days. Once every few weeks, or whenever the cage looked too dirty, my dad would clean it top to bottom, place a bowl of water for the birds to bathe in, and change out the news paper. Cleaning everything would take a few hours but it's not a huge time commitment if you're doing it once a month or every 6-8 weeks. It was a lot like maintaining a fish tank, but again these birds kept to themselves and had each other for company. So they didn't require much attention. They would move away whenever a human would come near to or open the cage.

Your time commitment may be much more, especially if your birds are used to human contact or not living in a pair.
I'm not sure if the care I gave was the norm, we were given these birds without warning or any prep and had to learn as we went. So do your own research on bird care to see what you'll need to do, but the above was my experience.

Also with my birds, since they were not trained to fly freely in the house, did not like being handled and were at risk of injuring themselves on glass windows or heated lamps, we did not let them out to fly, but I think being in a cage all the time stressed them out. If your birds are trained to fly in the house, this may be another thing you'll regularly want to make time for. That's the only thing I wish I could have done when taking care of my birds. Otherwise they seemed to do fine health wise, and both lived for quite a few years.

We didn't do regular vet visits, I don't know if that's the norm, but we only took them to a vet if one was sick. This can get pretty costly and is something you should also keep in mind when looking at finances.

Sorry I rambled, but as a former bird owner, I thought I'd put my 2 cents in. I think they're reasonable pets under the right circumstances, but do lots of research on it and make sure you're ready.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies everyone. Honestly, I wish more than anything I could have a couple of pet birds right now, because my fragile psyche could really use them. But considering I'm going to be away from the animals for weeks at a time starting next year and in fourth year (due to rural and away rotations), the grueling hours of EM and gen surg residencies, the fact that I'm almost definitely going to be deployed seven or eight years from now for a minimum of 6 months (assuming I go only once), AND the fact that I don't have a reliable "godparent" who could take them if I could no longer adequately care for them, it would be a bad idea to take on any pet who will live as long as a bird does.

The knowledge that I'm going to have to weather the next decade more or less alone is extremely depressing.

I am planning on getting tortoise for residency

Thanks for the replies everyone. Honestly, I wish more than anything I could have a couple of pet birds right now, because my fragile psyche could really use them. But considering I'm going to be away from the animals for weeks at a time starting next year and in fourth year (due to rural and away rotations), the grueling hours of EM and gen surg residencies, the fact that I'm almost definitely going to be deployed seven or eight years from now for a minimum of 6 months (assuming I go only once), AND the fact that I don't have a reliable "godparent" who could take them if I could no longer adequately care for them, it would be a bad idea to take on any pet who will live as long as a bird does.

The knowledge that I'm going to have to weather the next decade more or less alone is extremely depressing.

Tinder - meet interesting people nearby.

In my time in the military I was overseas twice for one year stints and had to find alternative spots for my cat (who really adopted me and not the other way around). I don't regret having him at all. During medical school years he was a rock for me, always there and awesome cat. Tough times will come. You gotta have your support elements during them.

I would think birds could travel easier than a cat and could maybe come with you on long rotations, but I honestly don't know. Find something that will give you that support and don't reject it because it might be hard or inconvenient.

In my time in the military I was overseas twice for one year stints and had to find alternative spots for my cat (who really adopted me and not the other way around). I don't regret having him at all. During medical school years he was a rock for me, always there and awesome cat. Tough times will come. You gotta have your support elements during them.

I would think birds could travel easier than a cat and could maybe come with you on long rotations, but I honestly don't know. Find something that will give you that support and don't reject it because it might be hard or inconvenient.

Birds are kind of a special case in that they don't tend to forgive you when you leave them alone for long periods of time. You can leave a cat alone for a day, even a few days and most will be just fine provided they're given food and water, and will still be happy to see you when you come back. Birds, on the other hand, get really pissy when they're left alone for the same amount of time. Though I'd prefer a bird, maybe I'll consider adopting a cat instead as a compromise to myself haha.

I read the word budgie in a Harry Potter book when I was ~10, and today I learned it's a kind of bird.

#themoreyouknow

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

In an MS4 and I've owned 2 budgies and a Scarlet Macaw.

If you are getting budgies, try and get a pair if you can. If you can only get one, get then a mirror. They think their reflection is another bird and entertain themselves while you're gone.

Oh and FYI, they can get very loud so I suggest being patient, especially while you're studying.

I inherited a parrot when my SO moved in with me. Most of the time she's fine (we think it's a she?), but occasionally she'll start screaming and won't be quiet no matter what. Kind of forced me to find somewhere else to study most of the time which was a good thing for me. Agree with Levo though, unless you're rescuing one that would die otherwise, I don't recommend getting a pet unless you have someone that can be there for it if you can't.
I thought you were describing your significant other in the first few sentences

Reactions: 4 users

Have you considered fostering a pet? Or volunteering at a local animal shelter?
I think both might be great options in your situation, where you can help an animal and have a friend without the long term commitment.

They're so noisy - if you have cockatoos, parrots, cockatiels. Not sure if Parakeets are noisy. A lil messy too. but if they make you happy go for it

I am a huge bird lover. I grew up with cockatiels and have a huge affinity for Moluccan cockatoos. However, I don't think many people are 'bird people'. Seriously, it's almost criminal for most people to own birds. They have extremely complex emotional states. Big birds (cockatoos, parrots) are practically 3-year olds not protected by the state. They are amazing animals, but I think humans should let them be, save for rare circumstances. I can't imagine a better pet then a Moluccan cockatoo myself. But, it has to be a fair deal for the bird as well.

Dogs and cats, on the other hand, have managed through artificial selection to crave human attention. They literally live for humans (mostly dogs). They adapt to you. For birds, you adapt to them.

I literally have monthly to bi-monthly
dreams about my cockatiel that passed away 3 years ago. Had her from 4th grade to the beginning of college. I love birds too, but I couldn't let one down by leaving it alone all day. I'll wait till I'm 35 and keep one in a private practice ;)

Last edited:
Bird care ain't cheap cheap. Get it? I actually don't know anything about birds, except that they talk a lot. At least, that's what I remember from Looney Toons.

Bird care ain't cheap cheap. Get it? I actually don't know anything about birds, except that they talk a lot. At least, that's what I remember from Looney Toons.

lmao, such a dork

I advise to not get a pet during med school. Although if you already have one then of course keep it.

Sure people are gonna say "it helps me a lot, and I have a SO that takes care of it when I am not around!" People like this aren't the ones asking if they should get a pet. Birds live a long time - what about your pet's life m3/4 and residency? Gonna suck for your pet no matter how you put it.