Owning a dog in PT school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ptlover

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello I am looking to possibly adopt a dog this year because I will have a full year before applying to PT school. I recently acquired a full time job as a rehab aide, and feel that I have a little more time since I will finish classes this summer. I was wondering if some of you applying to the 2014 cycle had a dog? Thought about getting one? Or would live with someone who had a dog? I really want a smaller one that is house trained etc and plan on taking it to obedience class. I would hope to have roommates but I am not sure how people typically feel about having dogs in their apartments. Some feedback would be great as I look into adopting.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I would wait until after school. It won't be fair to the dog when you start school.You will get super busy and your normal routine (walk, play, whatever) might get messed up. Dogs love their schedules lol. They require attention, like a baby. I'm leaving my dog at my parents house and while it kills me, I know it's best. He can get fed and walked and played with multiple times a day. He has free roam of their backyard. I would feel terribly cruel to stuff him in an apartment and then only take him out once a day max due to my busy schedule. My new roommate has a dog and while I definitely don't mind living with a dog, I can't say that I envy her juggling a super busy first year schedule and a dog. Think of it like this: you're studying away at the library for a test the next day and then you think "crap, I have to go home to feed/walk/let the dog out." They take time and energy too. But dogs are awesome so get one...just maybe wait in my opinion :)

Thank you! That is definitely true I been thinking about waiting it just stinks! But not knowing how busy I will be my first year I should wait.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've had a dog for the past 6 years. We got her when we first got married because my husband had to travel a lot for work. We live in an apartment, but she is a small Boston Terrier so she doesn't need much room. I've been working full-time while going to school part-time for the past few years.

Honestly, I love taking care of her. Even though I'm married, I do most of her care (walking at least twice daily, feeding, grooming, vet appointments, etc). I am actually better organized because I realize that she is depending on me for care and in return she gives me the best companionship. She is part of our family. I also like to study from home, so I've never had the problem of being stuck at the library and being worried about her (although, I do have a husband that could also take her out if he was at home).

Also, research has shown that having a pet can reduce stress, lower blood pressure and ward off depression. That might be helpful during school.

If it is important enough to you, you will make it happen. You also have a year to get into a nice routine! If you don't think you can do it then don't get a dog, especially if you can't study at home.

If you don't already have one, then don't get one. If you're not already in a relationship, then don't start one. You need to focus on school, and you need to plan on 10-12 hour days five-six days a week. You simply won't be able to give enough attention to the dog during the week. Some of my classmates have a dog, and go home during lunch to walk it, but it's another commitment and responsibility you don't need right now. Wait three years to get a dog. Until then, enjoy the Dog Whisperer.

Kevin

If it is important enough to you, you will make it happen. You also have a year to get into a nice routine!

^^This.

I adopted my dog in January and I start school in the fall. Cadence is falling into a good rhythm finally, but the first couple of months are definitely stressful. If you have a year, I say go for it...getting my puppy was the best decision I've made in awhile. Just make sure whatever living situation you'll be in while you're in school that you have some sort of backup plan. I'm living by myself so I plan on giving spare keys to a couple people just in case I need someone to run over and let the dog out in case of an emergency.

I think the main thing that you need to realize is that yes, you have a year to get a schedule down, but at the same time that schedule will most likely be screwed up come school. I guess I can only speak from an undergrad standpoint on this, but during the summer I take my dog everywhere. Hiking, swimming, walking, car rides, etc. When school starts it's a different story. I am just too busy to keep up with that. Luckily, I live at home and have 3 other willing people to entertain him. Why would you want the extra stress of having to spend time and energy with the dog, especially if you choose to get a puppy? What happens when you go to clinicals? It will be your decision, just playing devil's advocate :) I've seen sooo many dogs brought back to the humane society because the owners couldn't find the time. Definitely not saying you would do that, but just goes to show what a commitment it is. Put 100% in school, graduate, get a dog, be happy.

These are all really good things to consider. I definitely know what it takes owning a dog-I've had a few. I am leaning towards waiting now the more I weigh my options but I definitely will have to think about this thank you!!!!

Not sure if you want a dog or jsut a pet, but if you just want a pet i suggest getting two cats. They keep each other company and are very easy to care for. They also are great study companions.

One thing to take into consideration is whether or not you will have other people around to help with your potential dog when you're not around. I'm about to start up pt school in fall but I have had two pups and live with my gf (one of the dogs belong to her) and we both have to put time in to ensure that they are being properly cared for. However, with an extra person to help it is definitely manageable and i don't see it getting much more difficult to handle when pt school starts as I already work full time 9-5 Monday-Friday which emulates how long you can expect to be on campus for when school starts, and we make it work.

If you're going at it alone with no help, I agree with everyone else, just wait until school is over. Dogs need affection and attention and it's unfair to them for an owner to take one home and then neglect them.

Either way, you should for sure get a dog at some point because they are amazing companions. May I ask what potential types of breeds you were looking at?

And also one other thing to remember, depending on the breed you get, the first 8 months to a year are the most crucial/most time consuming as this is when your dogs window to get into a consistent pattern for walks/play time/eating is still open and this is when it needs to be established. So if you do decide on getting one before pt school, since you won't be starting school until fall 2014 if I am correct by your post, you should get one soon so you have a little over a year to get a good consistent pattern developed with them so that when pt school does start its not a huge adjustment for the dog.

Members don't see this ad :)
I want an adult dog. I will be working 8-5 Monday-Friday starting in August. I wanted to adopt in August and get on a routine. I don't know if its feasible just yet. I would love to I'm just worried about finding roommates.

Sometimes it sounds like life needs to go on hold for three years so you can get your degree. What happens when you graduate and get a full-time job? Should you not get a pet then because you go to work all day? The choice is ultimately yours and only you will know how much you can handle, but as for me, I've been able to have a pet/pets for a number of years while working full-time and going to school part-time. Granted, I have a husband who helps out, but we make it work. We love our pets like family and they bring us much joy and companionship.

I think the most important thing to remember in getting a dog is your housing situation. I know lots of people (in and out of PT school) who are renters and have had a lot of trouble and undue stress trying to find a place to rent that allows dogs. If you owned your own place, I would say to go for it because you know what you can handle best. Just keep in mind if you have to move or go out of town for clinicals (all things that can truly be out of your control whether you like it or not) it can be really tough to find a place that allows dogs.

So, buy your own house and get a dog. Haha.

My two cents: Get the dog. You obviously really want one. I'm bringing my dog with me and I couldn't be happier to have him come along; he is never any trouble and I like going home for lunch to let him out and see his happy face when I get home. There's always reasons that will get in the way of doing what you want, but there's always a way to do/ have the things you want. I didn't apply to programs in big cities so I knew it'd be pretty easy to find house that accepted dogs (not the reason for my choice of programs, I just prefer living outside big cities for schooling.) As far as roommates go, many students brings their pets, so having a roommate who also has a dog would be pretty cool.
As someone who adopted my dog, I think it's great that you want to adopt an adult dog; you'll know exactly what you are getting. They'll have a much better and fuller life living with their person even when the person is gone for several hours a day than in a shelter (or euthanized.) I only say that last part because I don't agree with anyone who thinks a dog will be suffering just because they're living with a student. As long as they get a few walks and get to hang out with you when you're home he'll be happy.
That's my experience. Good luck figuring out yours!

I got a dog (beagle mix) my junior year of undergrad and went straight to PT school after graduating. I'm finishing my second year of PT school right now. My first year of school I lived by myself in an apartment, and it got to be hard and somewhat of a pain for me to go home and walk her after class when all I wanted/needed to do was study. I felt like a bad pet owner sometimes. However, it was really nice at night to come home to a dog that is nothing but happy to see you, definite stress-reliever. I moved into a house with 2 roommates my second year and was able to get a doggie door that you insert into a sliding door. This was SUPER helpful so that my dog could go out when she needs to. My roommates have been very helpful and one of them is actually watching her for 10 weeks right now while I'm in another state for clinical rotations. That's one thing you definitely need to keep in mind as well, if you'll be able to take her with you if you travel for rotations!

There have been some difficult weeks of me being busy and feeling like a negligent pet owner, but I've found my dog to be a huge stress reliever and she forces me to take necessary studying breaks to walk her and feed her. Overall, having a dog during school has been hard at times but I wouldn't change it for anything. Best thing in the world to come home at the end of the day to a dog that just wants to cuddle up and love on you.

There are definitely a lot of good points here! I am just wondering how a student who is single does it? Also how much housing can range from

I have an Aussie, and she needs to be taken out 3 times a day. Once in the morning at about 7am, right before I leave for school. After I get home, at about 3-4pm, and the once more at about 10pm.

I'd say its pretty dependent on your dog (some breeds need more exercise, need to get taken out more, etc). It's also dependent on your school. Some schools only have class 4 hours a day with more out of class work, while others have class 8 hours a day with more in class work. .

It's a pretty individualized decision

Having a dog has so many benefits and you clearly really want one. I would brainstorm a ton of scenarios that could throw a wrench in your dog's schedule/life and see if you can come up with a viable solution. For example...

Are you going to be heading off to clinicals alone?
Do you want to travel for away for them or go close to home where you have somewhere to stay that will definitely allow a dog?
Do you have a significant other or someone else who can help take care of the dog on long days? Is there any chance that person could be out of your life before/during school?
Do you have the savings or credit to take care of the dog if something bad happens?
Will you be able to handle it without ruining your performance at school?
What about when you graduate, will you be prepared to deal with the extra complications involved with moving with a dog?
What if you want to go on vacation during your off time, is there someone who will take care of it?

These are just some questions, I'm sure there are plenty more to ask yourself. I got a boston terrier puppy last October and then by January was set on going to PT school and so began 12 hour days between observation, full time work and school for prereqs. He needs to go outside ~6 times a day and goes to the dog park 2-3 times/week. He needs tons and tons of attention, time etc. I literally could not do it without my boyfriend who just works a normal full time job. And I would not have taken the dog if my boyfriend didn't have a wonderful, stable family who we know would take care of the dog if my boyfriend and I broke up, something happened to one of us, or we just needed a vacation! Same goes for if we break up, I'd be utterly heartbroken but I'd give him to my boyfriend and his family because he has those resources.

Anyways, that's my thought process going into PT school with a hyper, needy, nervous wreck of a dog :) good luck with your decision!

we're in the exact same predicament...

I just took a full time aide job and moved into an apartment a few blocks from the hospital that I work at in the city. I'm planning on applying to school this summer so I'm about 2 years out from beginning PT school at the moment. I've got two more classes to finish up so I go to class two nights a week for a few hours. I have two roommates who are good friends of mine and their previous roommate had a dog that they helped out with.

I have been wanting a dog for years...while I never owned one of my own I've taken care of and lived with many. I'm an aunt to a very smiley pit bull, who I lived with last year and helped me train for my first marathon. I'm an extremely outdoorsy active person and honestly the thought of taking a study break or a lunch break outside sounds like a reward to me as opposed to a chore. This finally seems like the perfect time to get a dog...Im far enough out of school to get settled with a new dog, I have some financial security, and am in a good place in my life.

I've debated the same things that you have, and one of the best comments I read on this thread was that there will always be obstacles...after graduation there will be a job that will get in the way...etc. Its never going to be the PERFECT time, but if you're committed to loving the dog why not!!!

I'm thinking of going for it...I found a few adorable adult dogs who are house/crate trained at a local pit bull rescue and am thinking of going to meet them. I would be happy for anyones happy stories or to hear what you've decided.

Hello I am looking to possibly adopt a dog this year because I will have a full year before applying to PT school. I recently acquired a full time job as a rehab aide, and feel that I have a little more time since I will finish classes this summer. I was wondering if some of you applying to the 2014 cycle had a dog? Thought about getting one? Or would live with someone who had a dog? I really want a smaller one that is house trained etc and plan on taking it to obedience class. I would hope to have roommates but I am not sure how people typically feel about having dogs in their apartments. Some feedback would be great as I look into adopting.

I got my dog the summer between my freshman and sophomore year of college. I have never regretted it and even claim that he helped raise my grades because he was a great companion and stress reliever. However, I will say that my dog is unbelievably calm and well behaved, and even he got a little antsy during finals week. Luckily, he will be 5 when I enter PT school, and we have enough of routine that I think he will be fine, but I think it would be really hard to have a new dog and go into a program as rigorous as PT school. As for roommates, mine never minded, in fact, many said it was why they chose to live with me. They got the perks of having an awesome dog, with hardly any of the responsibility attached :)

I've decided that I am going to see if I get in to PT school this year and make my decision. I'm currently back home and have the companionship of my two dogs who I've missed terribly while in undergrad. They make me want to get one for when I am away at school, its so much to think about! But hearing about everyones positive experiences let me know that if its what i really want I can do it. I LOVE dogs, and will definitely have one when its the right time whether its a few months or years from now!

Not sure if you want a dog or jsut a pet, but if you just want a pet i suggest getting two cats. They keep each other company and are very easy to care for. They also are great study companions.
I have two cats and they've been great. They are also fantastic at being study break companions by laying on my books, computer and scratching/biting my notes. Haha. I seriously think it's hilarious. ;)

Anyway, I had a classmate who had 3 dogs and another classmate who had 1 dog and 2 cats and they did just fine!

I have 3 dogs and a lizard and will hopefully be starting PT school in June. That being said, I am also married so I have full-time help taking care of them. They are also already trained and are very independent. They have free roam of the house and a doggie door with a big backyard so we can comfortably leave them alone for longer periods if time.

I would say that unless you already own a dog, now may not be the best time to get one. It's not fair to the pet to have to stay crated for long hours, especially when you most likely won't have a set schedule with school to plan for consistent feeding and walking times. Also, I've heard that many students have to travel for some clinical rotations-- who would take care of them then when you're gone for weeks at a time? My recommendation is to wait until after you are done with school.