Oxidizing Reagent question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fodog

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone--

I've been doing a lot of O chem questions, and I've been coming across several different oxidizing agents, such as:

k2Cr2O7
KMnO4
H2Cr2O7
Na2Cr2O7

do all these reagents do the same thing?

for example, can all of them oxidize a benzylic carbon to a carboxylic acid?

Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone--

I've been doing a lot of O chem questions, and I've been coming across several different oxidizing agents, such as:

k2Cr2O7
KMnO4
H2Cr2O7
Na2Cr2O7

do all these reagents do the same thing?

for example, can all of them oxidize a benzylic carbon to a carboxylic acid?

Thanks for your help!

All of these are strong oxidizing agents, which are used to oxidize various compounds.

This means that they are all able to oxidize a benzylic carbon into COOH? i ask this because i didn't know it was possible until i saw K2Cr2O7 do it in destroyer orgo #156 2009

Members don't see this ad :)
This means that they are all able to oxidize a benzylic carbon into COOH? i ask this because i didn't know it was possible until i saw K2Cr2O7 do it in destroyer orgo #156 2009

Yeah, I think I read somewhere on the msg boards about this, and the benzylic carbon is oxidized into a carboxylic acid, regardless of the length of the hydrocarbon chain... I'm not too sure though, so if someone can verify this, it would be great.