oxyana movie

Started by maria1oh
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

maria1oh

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
anyone seen the oxyana movie and could recommend it to a pharmacist for educational value? Or is it mostly just a bunch of junkies giving their sob story, which is what I hear about every week at work anyways!

http://vimeo.com/ondemand/oxyana

A portrait of Oceana, WV, an old coal mining town that has become the epicenter of the Oxycontin epidemic, earning the nickname Oxyana
 
I watched some short video in a chemical dependency class last summer (elective). Sounds similar. The educational value I derived from it was the awareness of the issues going on close to home (it was on an area in my same state) and recognition of how to deal with those issues. If you already know there is a problem (I don't know how anyone could not know) then you've pretty much acquired any ed value already - granted I've not seen this movie, but I don't plan on working in WV ever.
 
I did end up watching it. Mostly just listening to junkies tell their stories and saw a few graphical scenes of them shoot up drugs. One claimed that he made road trips to Washington DC to pay $1,000 cash to see a doctor who would write him a RX for 540 tablets of oxycodone 30mg. They did interview the town dentist and a local ER doctor but no pharmacists.