P does not equal MD!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chris127

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I always hear people say P=MD, but it does to a certain extent, right? I mean sure, if you pass you will be some sort of MD, but in you want to match in a residency you desire, dont you have to get higher grades in med school than a simple pass?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
tigershark said:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

To the OP, I think when people claim that P=MD they do it at a time when they've studied their asses off and they want a rationalization to stop, albeit a very tongue in cheek rationalization.

Its true in that everyone who passes (which is almost everyone) becomes an MD. But because you're a professional you want to also know that, on top of passing, you understand the material as well as you can so you can apply it to your patients. What's more, yes, if you want to land a competitive residency you should finish in the top third of your class, kill the boards, and probably get some publications. But P still equals MD...

P=MD

P does not equal derm, rads, optho, anesthesia, ortho, neurosurgery, etc. Although, anecdotally, a rads resident who matched internally at my school told me he had very little above P his first 2 years (he probably kicked some booty on the boards and wards).

To be honest, I'm working my ass off, have had three tests so far and feel LUCKY to be passing both of my classes. When you get down to it, P does in fact = MD. And thank goodness!

Its a very different thing in medical school from college. Everyone is smart, and it takes a significant effort to pass, probably more effort than to ace most ugrad courses. As far as getting a residency, i've heard it stressed over and over again (ex. my schools EM residency director) that the boards and clinical grades are worth much more than grades in the first two years.

That being said, I dont really care how I do, so long as I know that I know the material and that I will be able to use it on the boards.

Dude, P=MD. Why even question this? Do you think that peds and FPs have it that bad? Sure, they're not as cush or as lucrative as some other specialties, but so what? They're still top notch jobs that pay very well and offer plenty of rewards---in medicine(!).

Tell you what. Go to law school and finish at the bottom of your class at even a pretty decent law school like Boston College or Emory or Notre Dame and see what you're going to be earning. Whereas you go to med school, finish at the bottom of your class, and you're making just as much as the top guys from those schools (actually more) and just as much or more as those who went to Harvard Law. Granted, they can make more with time. And granted, the bottom at Harvard Law are still doing very, very well. But if you're at State U Law, well, if you want to make anywhere near what a family practice doc makes, you'd better be at the very top of your class, or you won't.

And there are bonuses. Say you want to donate time to working abroad in medical missions and you're in rads. Um, not useful. Family practice docs, on the other hand, are needed.

So yeah, aim higher if you want. But for those who don't, it's not like a very generous lifestyle and an interesting career don't await.

ms1finally said:
P=MD

P does not equal derm, rads, optho, anesthesia, ortho, neurosurgery, etc. Although, anecdotally, a rads resident who matched internally at my school told me he had very little above P his first 2 years (he probably kicked some booty on the boards and wards).

To be honest, I'm working my ass off, have had three tests so far and feel LUCKY to be passing both of my classes. When you get down to it, P does in fact = MD. And thank goodness!

Rads and anesthesiology are much less competitive than the rest of those and depending on where you go to school, the average student earning a P can get into anesthesia at least, rads may be more of a stretch. But i mean ive heard people barely passing the boards getting into anesthesia, tons of spots.

HEY! HOW COME NO ONE WANTS TO GO INTO FP? OR PEDS?!! or IM?

YouDontKnowJack said:
HEY! HOW COME NO ONE WANTS TO GO INTO FP? OR PEDS?!! or IM?
Cheif of Surgery: "If I had to do family practice, I would slit my wrists."

p does equal md no matter what anyone else says. in fact, schools don't really have pass/fail. it's really pass now or pass later. schools face a lot of problems, particularly with accreditation if students fail so it works to their advantage to pass students. we're not talking social promotion here, but schools will find a way to help students pass beit peer tutoring or faculty members spending extra time.

and while those that "only" get a pass may not initially get into some of the most competitive residencies, there are plenty who can scramble in with just a pass when a competitive program is unable to fill...in spite of all these people who are "H" or "HP" applying.

and there are plenty of people with "H" and "HP" who choose FM, IM, Peds...grades have little to do with specialty choice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Chris127 said:
I always hear people say P=MD, but it does to a certain extent, right? I mean sure, if you pass you will be some sort of MD, but in you want to match in a residency you desire, dont you have to get higher grades in med school than a simple pass?

Dude, I just noticed that you aren't even in med school. Seriously, see what it's like once you are in med school and then see how you feel about P=MD.

FP = lots of germy people
peds = lots of germy children

ortho, neurosurg, general surg, rads, anethesia, etc = sick people.. not so much germy

This is where the appeal lands for me.

From my experience, grades, expecially basic science grades dont matter nearly as much as your board scores and your LOR when it comes to applying for residency. Get some publications out there and cozy up to the chairman who is probably well known to at least some residency directors out there.

And YES, P does equal MD. And in response to someones post earlier, the people at the bottom of the class can make more than those at the top because alot of those at the top go into academics and alot of those at the bottom go into private practice. Just a broad sweeping generalization :oops:

Private practice is where all the money is?

Why are you so obsessed with money? It seems that you have 2 threads that somehow comes to the issue of pay of physicians. You can bounce around the issue and find a few exceptions of how doctors make a lot of money but you fail to realize how much effort goes into obtaining that income. Unless you are just naturally gifted, you will spend a lot of time in the library. The studying that you will do for the MCAT is nothing compared to the workload of medical school classes. To make it worse, step1 makes the MCAT look like a walk in the park. I have seen many kids who come into med school talking of making at least 300k when they start as derm/radio/opthal. Slowly as time has passed, these kids have warmed up to the idea of making 130K in a non-competitive field

I've always been open to living in the midwest where no one else is, and opening a FP practice.... Then I can build my $400,000 mansion and drive my $200000 car. Yes, it's cheap in the midwest.

Now how do I find a place where no doctors want to go.... hmm.

I'm not obsessed, but since my parents arent physicians, I dont know that much about it. And since I have came here, I have been getting conflicting reports on the lifestyle/payout of a typical physician, thats all.

But seriously, lets avoid $$$ at all costs(no pun intended), and back to the topic.

Yes, P=MD, but not necessarily maybe the kind of MD you want to be. I geuss I am more curious in determining which is most significant in matching you up with your desired residency, ie basic sciences grades, boards, LOR, clinical grades, etc

Chris127 said:
I'm not obsessed, but since my parents arent physicians, I dont know that much about it. And since I have came here, I have been getting conflicting reports on the lifestyle/payout of a typical physician, thats all.

But seriously, lets avoid $$$ at all costs(no pun intended), and back to the topic.

Yes, P=MD, but not necessarily maybe the kind of MD you want to be. I geuss I am more curious in determining which is most significant in matching you up with your desired residency, ie basic sciences grades, boards, LOR, clinical grades, etc
Read "Iserson's Getting Into a Residency". It'll tell you what you need to do.

Hi there,
P may equal MD but not the MD that you want to be. Sure there are more competitive specialties and less competitive specialties but ultimately you want to be the master of your fate. In order to be in this enviable position, you need to have good grades and good board scores. Do not allow anyone to lull you into thinking that any grades in medical school do not count. Everything counts and can come back to bite you when you least expect it. Do the best that you can. In the end, especially when you are filling out that ERAS form, you will feel much better.
Good luck!
njbmd :)

what about passes, high passes, and good board scores?

I could do better, but the question is WILL I do better? Probably not...i just hate sitting for days memorizing my notes.