P/F course during pandemic?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

happypremed023

Reaction score
Hi all, so I am in a BA/MD program that will require a >= B in classes and am currently taking a nonessential European History course where because of the coronavirus, the bulk of my grade will now be made up of two essays weighted equally instead of exams. I am simply taking this course for fun this semester and do not need it for graduation. Today, our essay I grades finally came out and I received an A- while our Essay II is due at the end of May.

As I am a science student and have never taken a history course nor am the best writer, I talked to my professor going in and he said I should be able to get a B if I put in the work. However, I am freaking out whether I can do well on the second essay because I still have another final exam (though for an easy A science class), and I have not reviewed history for the past month as this quarantine has made me largely unmotivated. However, as our school's P/F deadline also got moved to the end of today as opposed to regularly in March, I can still P/F it. I know I have a A- , which is well above a B and only need a C+ on the second essay (to maintain a B/not jepoardize BA/MD), I am still worried. Although my BA/MD program will not care if I P/F, I may opt to apply to other medical schools if I do well on the MCAT, so would a P/F disadvantage me from top med schools? Should I take the risk of continuing with the course or P/F? Thanks for any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all, so I am in a BA/MD program that will require a >= B in classes and am currently taking a nonessential European History course where because of the coronavirus, the bulk of my grade will now be made up of two essays weighted equally instead of exams. I am simply taking this course for fun this semester and do not need it for graduation. Today, our essay I grades finally came out and I received an A- while our Essay II is due at the end of May.

As I am a science student and have never taken a history course nor am the best writer, I talked to my professor going in and he said I should be able to get a B if I put in the work. However, I am freaking out whether I can do well on the second essay because I still have another final exam (though for an easy A science class), and I have not reviewed history for the past month as this quarantine has made me largely unmotivated. However, as our school's P/F deadline also got moved to the end of today as opposed to regularly in March, I can still P/F it. I know I have a A- , which is well above a B and only need a C+ on the second essay (to maintain a B/not jepoardize BA/MD), I am still worried. Although my BA/MD program will not care if I P/F, I may opt to apply to other medical schools if I do well on the MCAT, so would a P/F disadvantage me from top med schools? Should I take the risk of continuing with the course or P/F? Thanks for any advice!
Yes, top schools will assume you are masking a C, not an A- or a B. If you are so worried you can't pull a C on a history paper, this one grade in this one course is not going to be the only roadblock between you and a top school.

By the way, since your program requires at least a B in everything, and since the P/F is optional, have you checked to make sure your program is okay with you masking what might be Cs while still staying in the program, since your school clearly didn't make P/F mandatory? Also, why did you take the class in the first place, knowing it's out of your comfort zone, being as worried as you are after getting an A- on your first assignment, and not knowing that you might even have a P/F option when you began, given that you need at least a B to stay in your program?

Last edited:
@KnightDoc My program said they would not care unless it's a Science/English class where a P/F is used to mask C's. I have also personally never used P/F. I took it just for the hell of it because I am done with all my premed requirements, thought it was cool, and also because I need to have enough credits this semester to graduate a semester early so I can take time off before med school.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
@KnightDoc My program said they would not care unless it's a Science/English class where a P/F is used to mask C's. I have also personally never used P/F. I took it just for the hell of it because I am done with all my premed requirements, thought it was cool, and also because I need to have enough credits this semester to graduate a semester early so I can take time off before med school.
In that case, if they don't care about a P but will kick you out of the program if you get a C, you really have no choice if you are that worried -- you have to protect your BA/MD admission at all costs, even if some random top school that might or might not be interest in you in the future doesn't like it.

Today, our essay I grades finally came out and I received an A- while our Essay II is due at the end of May.
Dude, I get it, I'm also very guilty of being neurotic about my classes. But, I want you to read this sentence again. You're clearly capable of making the grades you need on this essay. Especially if your other final is going to be in an "easy A class." Just prioritize your essay then. You still have half a month to write it.

I don't know what stage you are at in your college career, but these situations don't get better. Two days ago I had my Organic Chemistry and Biochemistry finals on the same day. They're related courses but still very different in terms of subject matter, making it difficult to study for both at the same time, but I spent about 12 hours a day during our 2-3 dead days just straight studying and I pulled off the grades I needed. Every semester I've been in a similar situation. Manage your time and be efficient in your studying and you should be fine.

Reactions: 1 user