P/F vs grades for OMFS specialization

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Franklo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been accepted too both P/F and grades based school. I know that I want to specialize into OMFS in the future. My question is should I go for the grades based school over the P/F school or does it not matter as long as I do well on my CBSE score and boards?

Members don't see this ad.

NBDE 1 and 2 are pass/fail now. You need to research these threads as this has been discussed plenty.

Reactions: 1 user
I've been accepted too both P/F and grades based school. I know that I want to specialize into OMFS in the future. My question is should I go for the grades based school over the P/F school or does it not matter as long as I do well on my CBSE score and boards?

No one is going to have a certain answer for you because there are too many individual factors to hazard a likely guess. My personal thought would be that pass/fail grades would likely never hurt you on an application (where as taking graded classes and coming out with a B average definitely would hurt you). Additionally, the P/F seems like it would give you a lot more time to study for the CBSE which is really the biggest factor for residency. Now of course the counter to that would be, if you can get in that top 10% it may make up for a less than stellar CBSE at a lot of programs and could be a boon for you. But my gut tells me that P/F is the safer choice.

But the P/F vs Grade aspect is so uncertain I hope it is only a very small part of the criteria you are using to select a school. Things like cost, education (heavy clinical vs heavy academic), rate of specialization from the grads, and even creature comforts like geography and the school's culture should all contribute to the school you choose.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
No one is going to have a certain answer for you because there are too many individual factors to hazard a likely guess. My personal thought would be that pass/fail grades would likely never hurt you on an application (where as taking graded classes and coming out with a B average definitely would hurt you). Additionally, the P/F seems like it would give you a lot more time to study for the CBSE which is really the biggest factor for residency. Now of course the counter to that would be, if you can get in that top 10% it may make up for a less than stellar CBSE at a lot of programs and could be a boon for you. But my gut tells me that P/F is the safer choice.

But the P/F vs Grade aspect is so uncertain I hope it is only a very small part of the criteria you are using to select a school. Things like cost, education (heavy clinical vs heavy academic), rate of specialization from the grads, and even creature comforts like geography and the school's culture should all contribute to the school you choose.

Yep I regret posting this LOL I've just been thinking about it I'm just going to go where I feel more comfortable.

it doesnt matter. Do well on NBME and youre fine (plus all the other research/letters/externship stuff).

i went to a H/P/F school, had no trouble obtaining interviews, and matched to my 1st choice.

the only program that i know of that makes a stink about P/F is Ed Ellis's program (UT san antonio) as i heard the words directly come out of his mouth.

Reactions: 1 user