P=MD, the Most Glorious Equation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don't know what you guys are talking about, from what I've experienced (~6 years in various cities in NE, midwest for med school, 8 years years in the south), he is absolutely right. NE is way less racist and has less fat religious nutjobbery than the midwest or south.
Try again: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/02/25/boston-club-to-apologize-_n_828215.html

People in the Northeast may not come right out and call you the n-word, like they might in the South, but they can still be racist.
Going to the People's Republic of Cambridge doesn't protect you against racism.

Members don't see this ad.

I was never saying that NE is a sunshiney place of tolerance. Just that day to day living in a city in the NE as a non-white person was a lot less irritating than the south or midwest, where people will say stupid ignorant crap regularly. Just my experience.
If you are non-white, why are you using Peter Griffin as your avatar, rather than Cleveland Brown?

Members don't see this ad :)
Reactions: 1 user
Have you experienced small town northeast? I'm from central Pennsylvania, the snack capital of the world, where most people are overweight or obese. I also went to a school that is 98% white and the few minorities didn't have the best of times. Predominantly a conservative area. Of course a city will be different, which is why I escaped for college and med school.
That's what I'm shocked (well not anymore really) that EMDO2018, doesn't know. Does he think there are not conservative areas of states? They're all 100% liberal and will greet him with open arms?

Try again: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/02/25/boston-club-to-apologize-_n_828215.html

People in the Northeast may not come right out and call you the n-word, like they might in the South, but they can still be racist.
Going to the People's Republic of Cambridge doesn't protect you against racism.

If you are non-white, why are you using Peter Griffin as your avatar, rather than Cleveland Brown?

Try again. Google racist events in the south/midwest and lets compare the incidence.

Try again. Google racist events in the south/midwest and lets compare the incidence.
I didn't know one could be more or less racist. You either are or you aren't. I still think you should change your avatar to a colored person off Family Guy. It's confusing to people.

You mean you actually had to study and work hard? God forbid.

I study and work hard all the time, but I had to study until 2 in the morning sometimes for these set of exams

Whats the trade off?

Cost:
F'ed up sleep schedule
Plus 5 pounds~ no time to run or lift
onset of depression since I haven't been working out or getting sun light
cranky
tired all the time

Benefit:
Better grades

I study and work hard all the time, but I had to study until 2 in the morning sometimes for these set of exams

Whats the trade off?

Cost:
F'ed up sleep schedule
cranky
tired all the time

Benefit:
Better grades

Welcome to med school

Reactions: 9 users

Whats the trade off?

Cost:
F'ed up sleep schedule
cranky
tired all the time

Benefit:
Better grades
Poor baby. Maybe if you hadn't procrastinated you wouldn't need to stay up till 2 FREAKING AM.

EMDO, how are you STILL feeling this way? I felt like I was going to fail in like the first 2 weeks of med school and now that fear is not nearly as bad. You are surrounded by the best and brightest people in the world, and you are one of them. Realize that if you put an average joe in your position, they would fail every test. Learn to put things in perspective. Who cares if you're below average?

I don't think I'll fail, I'm just trying to see how I can do ok and not deteriorate mentally and physically. As far as being surrounded by the best and brightest, some of these kids are too smart for med school, they should go do something else.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think I'll fail, I'm just trying to see how I can do ok and not deteriorate mentally and physically. As far as being surrounded by the best and brightest, some of these kids are too smart for med school, they should go do something else.

Everyone has to find the appropriate personal balance between hard work and success in school and personal health.

That balance is different for each of us.

Reactions: 2 users
Everyone has to find the appropriate personal balance between hard work and success in school and personal health.

I think this is the hardest of all for people to understand. "Balance" in med school is different for everyone. All of medical school is a risk to benefit ratio and putting all one's effort in a particular area does not necessarily bring as much reward as another area. On top of that people's values and priorities change greatly in med school as well.

Yup. People forget that Stop-and-Frisk happened in New York City, NOT Atlanta, Nashville, Birmingham, Dallas, or Houston.

Also that Ferguson, MO is NOT in the South.

Is there tons of racism in the South? Yes. Is there tons of racism everywhere in America? Yes.

While there may be (a lot) more religious nuttery in the South (no one can honestly deny this), that nuttery does not have a 1:1 correlation with racism by any means.

You're right racism happens everywhere. But Missouri is southern imo. The Missouri compromise? And if you've ever been, it feels like the south.

Welcome to med school

After having my first test I can say an extra 50 hours of studying would MAYBE have netted me 2-3 points (out of 130). The questions were either very easy, medium difficulty, or just random. Not necessarily hard - just random and details I wouldn't have thought to study. We'll see what the average was in a few days.

After having my first test I can say an extra 50 hours of studying would MAYBE have netted me 2-3 points (out of 130). The questions were either very easy, medium difficulty, or just random. Not necessarily hard - just random and details I wouldn't have thought to study. We'll see what the average was in a few days.
I felt more or less the same after my first exam. Whatever. P=MD.

That's what I'm shocked (well not anymore really) that EMDO2018, doesn't know. Does he think there are not conservative areas of states? They're all 100% liberal and will greet him with open arms?

Lol I'm at a rural site this month. Time to draw from my inner Pennsyltuckian. :) This is kind of a trial for me because I've been thinking about going back home for residency (obv it's up to the match gods) but I'm not sure if I want to go back to this culture/demographic that I was so excited to escape from for college.

SDN will label you as lazy... or you will be a 'substandard' physician. I read some of these posts and it amazes me that some people don't get that not everyone can study 8+ hours/day and stay sane and healthy... I myself have gained a few pounds in med school and and I saw few of my classmates become depressed and are on antidepressant... This is sad! Of course you have to do your best and the way med school is if you don't do your best, you have to be supper smart to pass these classes... The time professor will tell you what will or will not be on exams is over.

Lol I'm at a rural site this month. Time to draw from my inner Pennsyltuckian. :) This is kind of a trial for me because I've been thinking about going back home for residency (obv it's up to the match gods) but I'm not sure if I want to go back to this culture/demographic that I was so excited to escape from for college.
I think it depends. Inner city isn't too great as well (i.e. Philadelphia). I'd take people from rural areas, anyday.

SDN will label you as lazy... or you will be a 'substandard' physician. I read some of these posts and it amazes me that some people don't get that not everyone can study 8+ hours/day and stay sane and healthy... Of course you have to do your best and the way med school is if you don't do your best, you have to be supper smart to pass these classes... The time professor will tell you what will or will not be on exams is over.
You're shocked that SDN which attracts very hard workers and the neurotic and are surprised that they don't consider studying 8 hours a day as hard like you do?

You're shocked that SDN which attracts very hard workers and the neurotic and are surprised that they don't consider studying 8 hours a day as hard like you do?
I am not too surprised... Maybe I am at the wrong med school... This experience is very eye opening... I have seen people become VERY depressed and are on psychotropic meds because they overextended themselves... I understand someone's career is very important, but it is not more important than your wellbeing...

At least at my school they understand this problem exist... so they kind of make us see the school psychologist at least every year...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I am not too surprised... Maybe I am at the wrong med school... This experience is very eye opening... I have seen people become VERY depressed and are on psychotropic meds because they overextended themselves... I understand someone's career is very important, but it is not more important than your wellbeing...
Everyone has different breaking points, so to speak. What may be difficult to some won't be difficult for others. Someone who went to an easy peasy state school and whose efforts to get an "A" were much easier, will be more shell-shocked than someone who went to a much tougher school in terms of achieving an A (i.e. Swarthmore). There are some people who not only are able to achieve well in terms of grades, but are also able to participate and publish in research on the side (although I personally think it's easier to do when the first 2 years are P/F). Medical school like the match is very much like a figure skating competition.

Medical schools across the country have different student cultures to begin with -- Minnesota vs. WashU vs. Yale vs. University of Florida vs. Utah vs. UCSD vs. NYU, etc. As an applicant, it's your job to figure out which student cultures fit in with your personality and which ones clearly don't.

According to the literature (which hopefully I'm quoting it right), 25% of students have signs of depression in medical school. So it's not surprising that many medical students do end up on some type of psychotropic medication.

Key is to adjust diet and caloric intake when your work-out routine is messed up. I have stayed lean throughout med school (MS 3 now). I have definitely lost some strength but still in pretty good shape. Went out many weekends in the first two years. I didn't honor everything, but step 1 in the 245-250 range. God has been kind. MS3 seems to be more work though. But P=MD.

According to the literature (which hopefully I'm quoting it right), 25% of students have signs of depression in medical school. So it's not surprising that many medical students do end up on some type of psychotropic medication.

I agree. Key is to have a balance.

I didn't know one could be more or less racist. You either are or you aren't. I still think you should change your avatar to a colored person off Family Guy. It's confusing to people.

It's a little racist to ask an asian person if he's good at math.

It's very racist to try and lynch a black person.

And how do you know I'm not a white hispanic?

@Cyal ... Finding that balance can be very tricky as it was hard for me to find that balance at the beginning until I talked to a friend who was 2 years ahead of me at a different school...

Key is to adjust diet and caloric intake when your work-out routine is messed up. I have stayed lean throughout med school (MS 3 now). I have definitely lost some strength but still in pretty good shape. Went out many weekends in the first two years. I didn't honor everything, but step 1 in the 245-250 range. God has been kind. MS3 seems to be more work though. But P=MD.
:eyebrow:

only honored about half of my ms1/ms2 classes. I know some who honored almost if not everything. i studied an average of 3.5 hrs per day, technically never went to class. My point is that you can have a life and still do ok, especially in MS1/MS2. Much harder in MS3.

only honored about half of my ms1/ms2 classes. I know some who honored almost if not everything. i studied an average of 3.5 hrs per day, technically never went to class. My point is that you can have a life and still do ok, especially in MS1/MS2. Much harder in MS3.
Just because you got a HP doesn't mean it's all for naught. It's not H = Pass, everything else fail. Yes, there will be "some" who Honor everything. For only 3.5 hours a day (which is NOTHING), you still did damn good.

Did you really just say colored, Are you Arks brother? Say little inflammatory words here and there just to get people roused, trace the origin of the "race" discussion in this thread and you are at the apex.

Did you really just say colored, Are you Arks brother? Say little inflammatory words here and there just to get people roused, trace the origin of the "race" discussion in this thread and you are at the apex.
It's called sarcasm. And it was said in response to him saying he was "non-white" and then someone shocked that he was not white bc his avatar was Peter Griffin. The only one who got roused was you (not shocked) since you always have a chip on your shoulder to begin with.

Just because you got a HP doesn't mean it's all for naught. It's not H = Pass, everything else fail. Yes, there will be "some" who Honor everything. For only 3.5 hours a day (which is NOTHING), you still did damn good.

I remember talking to a 4th year, and he said he studied an average of 6 hrs everyday and I felt like a bum. So I honestly don't know how people study 8 hrs a day, day-in/day-out. But I respect their efforts, because I can't do it (except during 6 weeks of step 1 prep). Med school has some crazy hard workers. To honor everything and break 260 on Step 1, I would have had to do 5+ hrs a day. Although you will find some rare students who can honor everything and kill Step 1 with 3 hrs of daily work.

I remember talking to a 4th year, and he said he studied an average of 6 hrs everyday and I felt like a bum. So I honestly don't know how people study 8 hrs a day, day-in/day-out. But I respect their efforts, because I can't do it (except during 6 weeks of step 1 prep). Med school has some crazy hard workers. To honor everything and break 260 on Step 1, I would have had to do 5+ hrs a day. Although you will find some rare students who can honor everything and kill Step 1 with 3 hrs of daily work.
I don't know how your classes are structured, but 6 hours a day is definitely doable, esp. if you have 8 am to 12 pm lectures.

Yeah, I am studying all evening when I get home until bed time everyday, Friday evening also, and then from early in the morning to late in the evening on the weekend all week and I am not sure it's worth it. I don't think I even want to do anything super competitive so I'm not sure why I am putting myself through hell. I think it's OCD.

It's called sarcasm. And it was said in response to him saying he was "non-white" and then someone shocked that he was not white bc his avatar was Peter Griffin. The only one who got roused was you (not shocked) since you always have a chip on your shoulder to begin with.

To clarify, it was faux-shock, not real shock.

He(?) could have an avatar of an albino midget for all I care.

I just picture IRL Peter Griffin whenever I see his posts.

This focus on my avatar is really weird.

I tried to change it to something that would better represent me, but there was nothing handsome enough

Reactions: 4 users
Idk about you guys but I actually am a cat who likes to wear fezzes.

I just think my avatar looks cool.

Yes, sorry, I should have clarified, it was obviously said in jest.