P/NP Grading system and effect on residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BeachVolleyball

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any pharmacy schools other than UCSD that uses a P/NP grading system?

How do you think P/NP grading system will effect the chances of landing a residency, or even interviews?

I understand that there's the bigger package that residency programs look at, but GPA comes up often in this thread...

Any input would be great.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I know some med schools do the P/NP thing. but somewhere along the lines they rate you as well, my friend said there's some weird code they use.

I imagine your letters of recommendation would weigh heavily, but it could certainly be to your advantage... I know I have about a 3.1 but I've never failed a class so I would have all P's and not look so middle of the pack.

UCSD used P/NP for all the years? I only heard that schools used it for rotations... my school used grades for everything, and a rather brutal system with A starting at 95% in all pharmacy-specific classes... and my lowest-ever grade, in fact, came from a rotation (personality clash with a preceptor, don't ask) - B-. :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
Are there any pharmacy schools other than UCSD that uses a P/NP grading system?

How do you think P/NP grading system will effect the chances of landing a residency, or even interviews?

I understand that there's the bigger package that residency programs look at, but GPA comes up often in this thread...

Any input would be great.

Thanks.

I have this same question. I'm concerned that a transcript full of P's won't stack up next to a transcript full of A's/B's. Any advice??

My school uses P/NP for all classes. I got my top choice for residency (fairly competitive one). I was extremely involved in pharmacy organizations, had extensive work experience and good letters of recommendation. I was ready and able to explain our grading system. Some of my friends matched to equally competitive programs. I do not believe that UCSD uses P/NP for their grading system. Hope this helps.