P&S enthusiasts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Originally posted by Cooper_Wriston
At WH is it advisable for safety reasons to have a self imposed curfew before midnight unless absolutely necessary? One of my tour guides said to "watch out for the Dominicans in the area."

Coops

Wow. I'm surprised at this. I live in "little DR" (little dominican republic) and I find them to be extremely friendly and completely well mannered. I admit, at first, I had some concerns, but they have been completely overturned. I've been living here for over a year now. I'm also about 20 blocks above Columbia Medical so that might be different.
bonnie

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Coops,

You can probably stop signing your name (Coops) after everything you post, Coops. Bye Coops.

Originally posted by CalBeE
Yea I'm not that happy with Columbia interviewing so many people. Reviewing apps post-interview takes time, and MORE interviewees just mean less time spent on each application. Columbia really has to start to be more selective.

I'd have applied to Cornell if they're receptive to int'l students like Columbia.

they interview more than cornell but i think they get less applications as a whole -- a function of being a non amcas school... since there are less applicants, there is probably more time pre-interview screening applications. post-interview app review probably isn't as long as some people think. also i think columbia's class is a little bigger than cornell....so more spots to fill.

it will be interesting to see how their interview numbers change once they do go amcas (the rumor is that p&s may be going amcas since app #s here have been variable)

just curious what ya meant about Cornell being non-receptive to int'l students. i had several int'l students in my class when i was a student there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by edfig99
just curious what ya meant about Cornell being non-receptive to int'l students. i had several int'l students in my class when i was a student there.

I think most schools do have a few international students, but schools vary on how receptive they are (By int'l students, I mean people with no green card and no U.S. Passport).

Columbia accepts about 25 int'l students a year, and int'l student eventually made up of about 10% of the student population. Cornell, however, accepts about 1-3 per year. The accepted students are probably either very bright, or have some connections to Cornell (An undergrad there, spouse of someone who works/studies there, etc.)

Columbia University as a whole is one of the most receptive schools in the US to internat'l applicants. I don't know where the policy originated, but it definitely exists.

Originally posted by CalBeE
I think most schools do have a few international students, but schools vary on how receptive they are (By int'l students, I mean people with no green card and no U.S. Passport).

Columbia accepts about 25 int'l students a year, and int'l student eventually made up of about 10% of the student population. Cornell, however, accepts about 1-3 per year. The accepted students are probably either very bright, or have some connections to Cornell (An undergrad there, spouse of someone who works/studies there, etc.)

thanks. i guess if you go by acceptance/matriculation then, yeah, it's pretty few at Cornell and several other schools. Acceptance/Matriculation is very different than interview. I do know that one potential contributor to an int'l student not staying at Cornell is that they aren't eligible for financial aid, and you have to prepay your tuition in advance. I guess Columbia has diff't resources for those students. more power to them.

hmmm, so only a 2 or so weeks till decisions.... the anticipation's getting a little out of control. when exactly do you all think we'll hear by? i'm hoping by at least the 20th. we'll see.

judging by the past years (i love searching the sdn archives to see past generations of sdners over-analyzing things like us!) it seems like people who get the positive nod will received some snail mail package in late feb. decisions haven't been e-mailed before in the past although that might change this year.

good luck everyone!!

yea, it'd be nice to hear something by the end of the third week of February, but that might be wishful thinking.

Loomis, is this e-mail thing just conjecture, or is there something to it?

Good luck to all--maybe it's time to start one of those anxiety-laden, anxiety-producing, yet irresistible countdown threads.

Originally posted by Benjo
yea, it'd be nice to hear something by the end of the third week of February, but that might be wishful thinking.

Loomis, is this e-mail thing just conjecture, or is there something to it?

Good luck to all--maybe it's time to start one of those anxiety-laden, anxiety-producing, yet irresistible countdown threads.

e-mail is PURE conjecture. it would be nice though. i am assuming they will be mailing things in those nice blue priority envelopes to the lucky people who get the nod! :)

does anyone know when exactly columbia's planning to mail out acceptances/rejections?

On their website, it says that the letters will be out by February 14. Also on their message board, it says that they will be sending their decisions out via snail mail.

Maybe it's time to start up a P & S Countdown. I think I got a nice letter from Dean Frantz so I am crossing my fingers...

Originally posted by bigbaubdi
On their website, it says that the letters will be out by February 14. Also on their message board, it says that they will be sending their decisions out via snail mail.

Maybe it's time to start up a P & S Countdown. I think I got a nice letter from Dean Frantz so I am crossing my fingers...

I thought just about everyone who writes a thank-you gets a return letter from Frantz? A la the "very strongly in mind" vs. "very much in mind" thread from last year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not so.

I emailed my interviewer with a question, then I sent him USPS mail and didn't hear squat. I am awaiting my rejection letter.... :clap:

Coops

Hang in there. P&S has stopped interviewing students and that little room where we all used to get coffee is closed which sucks, but the first round of acceptances typically goes out in mid to end of February. I urge you to not lose hope if you are waitlisted, but instead, if you are truly interested in being at P&S, write a letter to Dean Frantz stating your interest and even asking for a second interview. Many people usually get in from the waitlist and you should not stop trying if you really want to be here.

Good Luck

P&S 2007

Originally posted by Cooper_Wriston
Not so.

I emailed my interviewer with a question, then I sent him USPS mail and didn't hear squat. I am awaiting my rejection letter.... :clap:

Coops

Strange. Did you address the letter to the admissions office? If not, that could explain it. I'm pretty sure Frantz himself has to come across it, and then he will send you a pre-drafted return letter.

I'm not expecting much from them either. I'm afraid I can't play Mozart on a homemade accordian, didn't participate in the festivities of rugby, and didn't graduate from an ivy league school. That's three strikes, so my chances are shot.

tf

ah, the "strongly in mind" vs "very much in mind" thead. good times. i think my favorite part is the "very much in mind" wording = "kiss of death." the whole wording of the reply letter is definitely bologna. also, i'm starting to think the whether you get a reply or not issue is meaningless too. i'm guessing he means to send everyone back a letter. i'm sure in some cases, it's just an oversight and he forgets to write out a reply. i'm sure the only meaningful part of such a letter would be a personal comment. anyway, here's to being neurotic and barely able to wait...

Originally posted by TheFlash
I thought just about everyone who writes a thank-you gets a return letter from Frantz? A la the "very strongly in mind" vs. "very much in mind" thread from last year.

I got the "strongly in mind" but I also got a personal comment.

*hugs* Missbonnie

I've stayed away from this thread all this time but felt the urge to peek in today. I had been staying away because it gets disheartening to read how my neighborhood is bashed on this board any time a P&S thread is started up.

I was born and raised in Washington Heights and am one of those "darned" Dominicans. I just recently moved to Westchester only because my daily commute to my job in CT was getting to me. I long for the day where I can be back in my 'hood even if it's only to work. I still go every weekend because I miss the people and the smells and sounds of home.

My parents came to the US in the late 60s/early 70s and have been hardworking decent people. My dad even served in the VietNam war. Most Dominicans I know are hard-working, family oriented, faithful people. However we've gotten a bad reputation thanks to a crop of marginal compatriots who came in the 80s and got involved in the whole drug scene. Yes, the neighborhood was quite scary when I was an adolescent, but most of the folks creating crime have since been killed, jailed, or deported. Unfortunately some of today's youth is out for a quick buck. But these activities are nothing like the big crime rings of the 80s; these kids tend to stay out of sight and don't involve passerby's.
For the last decade or so the neighborhood has been pleasantly safe. Additionally gentrification has led to the availability of a lot of resources right in the area. So you won't have to take the subway for a good cup of coffee.

Washington Heights is an ideal place geographically. All major highways are accessible from it. There is water almost completely surrounding it so summer nights tend to be cool and fresh. You should walk to Fort Tryon park in the Spring and Summer. It's really a treat. I always loved living in the Heights because I was in Manhattan but not in the midst of all the hustle and bustle of downtown. Yet if I wanted that it would be a quick subway ride away.

Because of the way my people are the Heights always felt like a small town to me. Any time I'd walk anywhere I'd bump into at least one person I knew and we'd engage in a quick, friendly conversation. I had "primos" (cousins) at every bodega and the folks at the local restaurants already knew what we'd order as soon a they saw us walk in.

Our people are very warm and happy and loud. Back in DR people live in an open community environment. Windows and doors are always open. Folks sit on their porches watching the neighbors walk by and saying hello. Domino tournaments take place every other corner. The music they so love is always piping out of some radio. Food is ubiquitous. I'd like for others to understand us. When you see the neighbohood people "loitering" in the streets it's not that they're planning something bad. They're simply trying to capture of sense of life back home.

Yes, there are bad apples, as there are in any culture. But as mentioned already you have to be street smart anywhere in NYC.

Good luck to all of you. And may you give yourselves the chance to really get to know the community you're in. You might be surprised at finding some hidden treasures.

I'm just a postbacc now (at my alma mater, Columbia). Nothing would please me more in life than to be a student in P&S some years from now serving the people I love in the community I love.

My only problem with the high-Dominican population is the lack of good bread around here. I'm a bread-lover, and I always have to go down to Morningside to get decent bread.

Halcyon: what cool places are there around here cause I don't get out into the neighborhood enough, despite living here.

I just called P&S and was informed that all letters will be sent out in the end of Feb/beginning of March. I thought they were supposed to go out in mid-Feb. I can't wait any longer.

Can anyone confirm this?

well, i mean, if that's what the admissions office told you...

bummer. i can't wait any longer either.

i called too right now and got the same response. guess the "offical columbia countdown" thread will have to wait a bit longer.......
:)

Originally posted by acab
I just called P&S and was informed that all letters will be sent out in the end of Feb/beginning of March. I thought they were supposed to go out in mid-Feb. I can't wait any longer.

Can anyone confirm this?

Thats what I love about med school time lines and AAMC MCAT release dates. You can count on them about as much as you can count on Tony Soprano to be involved in "trash management" only. :laugh:

Coops

bump. you know, in case it comes out that they're extending the decision date to april or something... (ugh)

Are you kidding me? Ugghhh--This is gonna be a torturous wait. By the way, how long did it take you all to get an interview invite? I was complete in september, but took the august mcats and got a really quick invite after the scores came out (like 10 days). Has Columbia been that quick with everyone?
Good luck to everyone.

yeah, i'm surprised because admissions was also really speedy with my invite. i also took the august mcat - i think scores were released aroundn 10/16ish and my invite was dated 11/06 or something like that.

Yea, medstylee. Do you thank that is interpretable (word?) as a good sign, or like most things in this process is it arbitrary/random/unpredictable/meaningless? Let's hope it means they just couldn't wait to get their hands on us, although somehow I doubt that.

it's a comforting thought, at least (the best thing i've gotten so far from any school is a waitlist). but, my suspicion tells me that it's random just as everything else is.

I got a date from someone : On or about Feb 24th and final decisions are being made in the next 2 weeks.

bonnie

I can't wait any more:wow: Pleaseeeeee :sleep: :hardy: :idea:

seriously...man i can't wait. not expecting good news though since my interview w/ frantz didn't go so hot.

Originally posted by missbonnie
I got a date from someone : On or about Feb 24th and final decisions are being made in the next 2 weeks.

bonnie

thanks for the info, bonnie. guess we'll have to sit tight till then!!! i agree, the wait is getting too much.....

Originally posted by loomis
thanks for the info, bonnie. guess we'll have to sit tight till then!!! i agree, the wait is getting too much.....

loomis, don't you already have some beastly acceptances? You should be sitting pretty, my man! :)

As for Columbia, I'm screwed! w00t!

tf

Originally posted by TheFlash
loomis, don't you already have some beastly acceptances? You should be sitting pretty, my man! :)

As for Columbia, I'm screwed! w00t!

tf
yeah, i shouldn't be so greedy. :) i think you're holdiing up just fine yourself too!!

So, it looks like about two weeks. Not too bad, I guess. Does anybody have any idea how many acceptances are sent out initially. They have a class of 150, and they probably have a pretty high matriculation rate, so something around 200-225 seems reasonable, especially in light of the fact that their total acceptances last year was around 300. So, they interviewed slighly less than 1000 applicants and around 200 will be accepted first round--not looking too hot.
All this is just rambling speculation, but if somebody actually has some idea as to what the hard numbers are, any info would be much appreciated.
GOod luck to all.

as of last year or maybe the year before they started doing just one round of acceptances rather than an initial one and then another in march. don't quote me on this, but i think i've heard that they try to send out ~250 acceptances. the gist i got from last year's posts was that very few people actually get rejected post-interview. it's mostly waitlists.

they definitely must have interviewed a good number less this year than they previously have - at least, if they used to interview up until late feb and a current student said that by early february this year they were already done (the free coffee went dry).

Mock all you want medstylee, but that train of thought has been recurring for me for about the last two and a half months, so if it works, keep working it.

alright - my bad. i edited my post. i was just trying to lighten things up a little for everyone (certainly including myself - i've ranted more than once about how the wait is torturous). sorry - good luck everyone.

On my interview day, one of the interviewees was told that 1/4 of interviewees are accepted. So if they interview 1000, 250 accepted sounds right.

Columbia sends out interview invites until the end of February right? I think i read that on another thread somewhere

They're done interviewing, according to previous posts and on their website.

i called columbia today, and they said they are NOT done granting interviews yet, but they will be done interviewing by the end of this month- sooo, if you get something, it will be in the next week for sure, and will be very short notice, but there is still hope!

I'm losing hope for an interview even though I went to school and worked here and had recommendations from their researchers - no love for me and it's beginning to hurt. :(

One question, how diverse is the medical school student body? Is it really true that most came from Ivy league schools?

It's true of the interviewee room (80% are Ivy/other top privates). I don't really think it's that true of the student body, though. I sing in their chorus, and I never got this impression.

Where do you work at columbia?

Originally posted by darkcity998
Is it really true that most came from Ivy league schools?

Let's look through a current catalogue of their students...

Ivy league alumni... THERE's ONE, yup, another one... there's another one.... uh, let's see... ANOTHER one... :eek: WAIT! University of... :rolleyes: oh, Penn.

Yes, there are a ton of current students from "name" institutions and several from the ivy league attending P&S. But there are a handful of students who did not graduate from any of the aforementioned places... their mothers just happen to be distinguished members of the school faculty ;)

All kidding aside, stay positive! Anything can happen!

Bumping an old thread to show some :love: for Columbia.

Oh, how I'd give an arm/kidney/eye/foot/nut/anything else that comes in twos to attend this school.

Bumping an old thread to show some :love: for Columbia.

Oh, how I'd give an arm/kidney/eye/foot/nut/anything else that comes in twos to attend this school.

i would give a nostril...and that's quite a sacrifice.

Just wanted to start a thread for those who, like me, might place Columbia at the top of their list. Only two months until the letters go out. Anyway, this is extremely dorky, but I just wanted to hear what some other people like about the school.

Columbia sucks.... who would ever want to go there ;)

when did they say they would send out their decisions?