P1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jinga

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there everyone,

I'm feeling a bit down. This first year has been a rough one, and I've been feeling constantly discouraged. I genuinely fear I might not have a job by the time I graduate (2013). I know, dead horse etc... Is this concern crazy? I hope every day that things will improve in our country. Maybe I just worry too much.

I'm definitely not in this for the money, but if I don't land a job that pays well after graduation, I would be in dire straights - know what I mean?

I never post on here, I just use it as a resource. I appreciate all of the discussion here; you guys are awesome.

I really like pharmacy, and I would love to continue on to be a pharmacist. Should I just ignore all of the gloom and doom and press on?? How about the positive??

Members don't see this ad.

You can't do anything about it now, just work hard, get good grades, network, and work during school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I go to school in the rural Midwest. It kind of seems like these areas will never saturate to be honest - at least out in the sparse areas. People really don't want to move out there. Also, many of the people in my class want to work part time (which I find interesting).

I have a great internship at the hospital, I've been doing my best to network, and I've been maintaining A's and B's thus far. My EC's are kind of at a minimum (fraternity) but I feel one can only do so much during school :)

I'm a farm kid. I want to settle down in either Nebraska, South Dakota, or North Dakota. To me, the smaller the town - the better. I grew up in a town of 1000. I strongly dislike living in a city or even in a town. I would love to live on a farm again.

So honestly, I think I'll be able to find an underserved area somewhere, even if I have to try independent ownership :)

I'm trying my best to be optimistic.

So if you want to live in a rural area and think the rural midwest will never saturate, why the concern over finding a job?

WORST CASE scenario., like you say, you cant find a job?

Go into forbearance, get a job on a farm, and do income based repayment after you land a farm job.

If i cant find a job, im going to try to get work as a tech, or maybe join the military.

In your position you don't have much control over the profession, market, etc. right? In fact, almost no one person does. So just do what you can- it sounds like you're doing a good job.

That's reassuring Farmtastic, and logical. Thanks. I guess I'll just have to work hard at it and hope for the best. In my thinking, I might just have to be creative and determined in this day and age. I'm networking BIG TIME - even this early in the game. Who would have thought? I'm still optimistic for the future.

i find it hard to not find a job in the middle of nowhere when no one ever wants to go there. If you were at cali or the northeastern states id understand

I actually much prefer rural life to city life. I hate living in a city! It's aweful.

I go to school in the rural Midwest. It kind of seems like these areas will never saturate to be honest - at least out in the sparse areas. People really don't want to move out there. Also, many of the people in my class want to work part time (which I find interesting).

I have a great internship at the hospital, I've been doing my best to network, and I've been maintaining A's and B's thus far. My EC's are kind of at a minimum (fraternity) but I feel one can only do so much during school :)

You are doing fine, especially for someone who plan to work in such a rural location. Like you said, places way out into the woods will likely never saturate. By wanting to go there, you have just shrunk the competition by a huge fraction. And your willingness to move around in a fairly large areas also increase the job opportunities.

If you like pharmacy profession, then you are safe. I would only change if you found that pharmacy isn't something you enjoy doing.

I appreciate all of the input, guys. The only thing I don't like about pharmacy is WAGS. I spit on my nearest WAGS today. It felt good.

For some people, when they start something new (e.g. P1) there is a little bit of doubt and questioning of whether or not they did the right thing, esp. when tests are around the corner, etc.

P1 has me feeling kind of down too. I'm studying hard and not doing as well as I want. It's making me feel dumb. My class has a lot of keeners and people who are just straight up smart (I believe the high profile name of school attracts them) so it's hard to keep up with them. It sucks because all the P2s and P3s say it's *very* tough to pull up your GPA in those years (i.e. P1 is easiest).

This seems to be a common thing among P1's. When I was in my very first semester I had non-stop thoughts of "oh my god I made a terrible mistake, I shouldn't be here...I should be doing something better" mixed with "you did something most people couldn't do, you can't give up pharmacy school". But ultimately it worked out and I like what I do.

But don't think for a second that there aren't people who did the opposite of what I did, I know a guy that dropped from his P2 year to become a state trooper. He's making almost 50% less but he enjoys his job and loves every minute of it....

...plus he doesn't give me tickets when he catches me speeding :laugh:

This seems to be a common thing among P1's. When I was in my very first semester I had non-stop thoughts of "oh my god I made a terrible mistake, I shouldn't be here...I should be doing something better" mixed with "you did something most people couldn't do, you can't give up pharmacy school". But ultimately it worked out and I like what I do.

But don't think for a second that there aren't people who did the opposite of what I did, I know a guy that dropped from his P2 year to become a state trooper. He's making almost 50% less but he enjoys his job and loves every minute of it....

...plus he doesn't give me tickets when he catches me speeding :laugh:

NYS Troopers, Nassau County PD, and Suffolk County PD make quite a lot of money out of the gate. It's weird because NYPD(NYC) works a bit more dangerous of a job, but they make much less.

Suffolk County PD officers make $60K fresh out of the academy, all you need is a ****ing High School Diploma, ace the Civil Service Exam, and the rest of the tests, followed by 6 month academy. 5 years later, there is a pay increase to $98K, and 20 years after that, you retire with half salary.

arghhhh....so I did reasonably well P1 first semester but now I'm in 2nd semester and it's killing me.. I'm not sure what to do....feeling really down....any advice? i guess i should just work harder for the rest of this semester...but how hard is it to pull up your grades in p2 and p3?

Last edited: