P1's: Summer Internships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ucdbiochem

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
when is the best time for P1's to look for summer internships?
i plan to do that during the spring break. what setting do u guys plan to work at? community or clinic?

our school has set up interview appointments for us with some retail pharmacies and one hospital pharmacy. each student only gets two interviews, and i don't think that's enough. to open more options, do you think it's better to contact the district manager of other retail stores directly?

Members don't see this ad.

Recruiting at USC is intense. As of now, Sav-on, Walgreen and Rite-Aid are all recruiting USC pharmacy students for their summer internship program. The competition is intense especially when you are only a first level student.

I interviewed with several companies during the internship fair. So far, I've only received rejections and one person who asked me to call him, but when I leave voice mail he never calls back.

It's hard with all the upper level students out there. Most of the people in my area keep their internships from the year before. There was one opening in a hospital setting in Tampa. I didn't even bother applying for that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Recruiting has been nuts. The chains down here take this stuff hella serious. One of the the guys that got the Sav-on internship also got one to go to macedonia or japan and now has to decide between.

I signed up for the wag's interview, but that's my back-up plan. It's funny when you've got a 1:100 shot at your back-up plan. Not really...... Dunno if they don't like to take their current interns for their summer program, if they try to avoid those appearances of nepotism than my chances are even slimmer.

yeah, it's not any better here in norcal. Kaiser only has four internship positions in SF and two in livermore. that's just freaking insane!!
yeah, u guys are rite. it's hard for us P1 to compete with the upperclass men. oh well... time to hone my telephone skills.

Wow, I didn't know summer internships are so hard to come by. What else can you do during the summer besides internships? Work as an intern? What is the difference?

A hospital near here is advertising for an intern, but I think that would be too much of a commute for you, Dana. I guess I can't talk them into holding it open for me for 2 years. :laugh:

We don't get summers off! :p Maybe it's a good thing. Less stess, less rejection!

Originally posted by karmapatroL
We don't get summers off! :p Maybe it's a good thing. Less stess, less rejection!

Less stress? Ehhhhhhhhh, I doubt it. :)

I meant the stress of interviews and the uncertainty of what you will be doing all summer and where. Let's see, this is what we'll be doing all summer:

Summer Quarter - 15 quarter hours
Pharmacy Law
Applied Pharmaceutical Care II
Pharmacokinetics & Biopharmaceutics
Integrated Sequence II: Infectious Diseases

arbeitgr.gif
yup, pretty stressful.

I phoned the guy from Eckerd again and it looks like I got an internship at the store I wanted. I start training after I get back from spring break, so I'll be ready to go full time in the summer.:D

What's the difference between UF clerkships and internships? Can you get paid for a clerkship or are you just working and paying the school tuition at the same time?

Originally posted by karmapatroL

I dont either, dont feel bad! Does your school give you 1500 hours or 1000 hours towards internship? I have to find 500 hours somewhere in the 12 weeks that we are off in 3 years. Joy!

Originally posted by South2006
I dont either, dont feel bad! Does your school give you 1500 hours or 1000 hours towards internship? I have to find 500 hours somewhere in the 12 weeks that we are off in 3 years. Joy!

Your school doesn't give you all the required hours? :eek: I think that AZ only requires 1000, but I know that we get them all in school regardless.

Edit: Ohhh, ok thanks lord999. I knew that we had all the hours. I didn't know how many. Are there some states that require more than 1500 hours?

AZ requires 1500 hours like everyone else, but the school requires 1600 hours to graduate the program.

BTW, I would not suggest working heavily this summer. Profs. Gentry, Dietrich, Jordan, and Morris have quite an action-packed summer for the Midwesterners.

I wonder if they will still do the cumulative for IS II like they nailed us.

Originally posted by moobymaster
What's the difference between UF clerkships and internships? Can you get paid for a clerkship or are you just working and paying the school tuition at the same time?

UF's clerkships are not paid, you are paying them tuition. Those are your rotations which you will start the 2nd semester of your 3rd year. You work that semester, the summer and most of your 4th year.

An internship is a paid position. The pay rate depends on your year in pharmacy school. I will make $9 per hour, but go up to $11 when I start my 2nd year.