PA before med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cliffhuxtableDO

Hand sanitizer on deck
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would it be a good option to go to a PA program before medical school as a way to increase one's application?

Members don't see this ad.

Would it be a good option to go to a PA program before medical school as a way to increase one's application?

No. You should only go to PA school if you wish to be a PA. Leave the spot open for someone who truly wants to be a PA. PA school admission is competitive just as med school is. Becoming a PA only to then go into medical school is a waste of a place someone else could fill. If you are truly committed to being a physician use your time more wisely to strengthen your application in other ways to get into medical school.

Just my two cents.

No. Not only is PA school a significant time commitment (3 years I think) you will also get questions on why you no longer want to be a PA/why you now want to be an MD/DO.

Members don't see this ad :)
PA schools in my state cost the same as their affiliated medical schools, but are only two years long. They are also fairly selective, and have slightly different undergrad prerequisites. Why go into debt for an additional two years without the expectation of using the degree for awhile in the workplace?

you guys are making good points. thanks.