Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

PA before med school?

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by cliffhuxtableDO, Dec 24, 2008.

1. cliffhuxtableDO

cliffhuxtableDO Hand sanitizer on deck
    5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    Would it be a good option to go to a PA program before medical school as a way to increase one's application?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. briton

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    No. You should only go to PA school if you wish to be a PA. Leave the spot open for someone who truly wants to be a PA. PA school admission is competitive just as med school is. Becoming a PA only to then go into medical school is a waste of a place someone else could fill. If you are truly committed to being a physician use your time more wisely to strengthen your application in other ways to get into medical school.

Just my two cents.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Rzarecta

Rzarecta Premed 2: Electric Bugalo
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    No. Not only is PA school a significant time commitment (3 years I think) you will also get questions on why you no longer want to be a PA/why you now want to be an MD/DO.

4. Mobius1985

7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    PA schools in my state cost the same as their affiliated medical schools, but are only two years long. They are also fairly selective, and have slightly different undergrad prerequisites. Why go into debt for an additional two years without the expectation of using the degree for awhile in the workplace?

5. mmmcdowe

mmmcdowe Duke of minimal vowels
    Moderator Physician Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'd suggest EMT perhaps.

6. cliffhuxtableDO

cliffhuxtableDO Hand sanitizer on deck
    5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    you guys are making good points. thanks.

7. J ROD

J ROD Watch my TAN walk!!
    Rocket Scientist Physician Pharmacist Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'm going to have to say no!