PA: C, A, BS, or MS; what's the difference?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ruben

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently got my B.S. in Kinesiology and I am very interested in PA school in California. Ultimately I am thinking it would be wise to get an MS. However, won't any of the degrees or cert. prepare one to take the exam to be certified or accredited nationally as a PA ? In the grand scheme of things does it matter?

Members don't see this ad.

Check the school you want to attend. I think most PA schools are now Masters degrees.

Ruben said:
I recently got my B.S. in Kinesiology and I am very interested in PA school in California. Ultimately I am thinking it would be wise to get an MS. However, won't any of the degrees or cert. prepare one to take the exam to be certified or accredited nationally as a PA ? In the grand scheme of things does it matter?
yes, any program will prepeare you for the exam and pa's of all certification levels make the same salaries BUT many states now require at least a bs to practice( 18) and a few require an ms(maybe 3) .if you already have a bs get an ms or do a cert level program and do the ms later as a postgrad online program(lots out there).
check out www.physicianassistant.net for more info on this and other pa related topics.