PA - getting in.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whitethunder10

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am contemplating going back to school for PA or PT.

I am concerned about the difficulty of entering the profession of PA...

My undergrad is in Journalism from the University of Wisconsin. I grduated with a 3.05. But I'd need a **** ton of science classes before I apply to PA school...

I am concerned because my brother had all outstanding credentials: scored a 3.7 in his science classes, had a couple years working with patients as a phlebotomist, shadowed the old director of the program, worked in the lab of a well respected cardiac doctor on campus and got his recommendation... But before all of that his undergrad gpa was a 2.7. He applied twice and didn't get in at Madison...

So I'm wondering if my fate will be the same with an undergrad of 3.05. That would be a lot of work for me to go through to be denied becuase of my undergrad GPA (considering the 1.5 to 2 years of prereq science classes I'd have to take...)

What to yall think?

Thanks...

Members don't see this ad.

First, you need to decide whether you want to practice medicine or be a therapist.

Hello,

I am contemplating going back to school for PA or PT.

I am concerned about the difficulty of entering the profession of PA...

My undergrad is in Journalism from the University of Wisconsin. I grduated with a 3.05. But I'd need a **** ton of science classes before I apply to PA school...

I am concerned because my brother had all outstanding credentials: scored a 3.7 in his science classes, had a couple years working with patients as a phlebotomist, shadowed the old director of the program, worked in the lab of a well respected cardiac doctor on campus and got his recommendation... But before all of that his undergrad gpa was a 2.7. He applied twice and didn't get in at Madison...

So I'm wondering if my fate will be the same with an undergrad of 3.05. That would be a lot of work for me to go through to be denied becuase of my undergrad GPA (considering the 1.5 to 2 years of prereq science classes I'd have to take...)

What to yall think?

Thanks...
Part of the problem with your brothers app (to be blunt) is that he only applied to one place and had inadequate stats. Like any graduate school it pays to have a back up. If you look at the Madison Website the average in the last few years has been a 3.5. So applying with a 2.7 is probably dead in the water. If you had a bunch of bad grades early on and then better grades later on with good health care experience (some programs may not count phlebotomy and it wouldn't rate as highly as nursing or paramedic) then you might have a shot. The Madison program is fairly competitive so your brother really didn't have a shot.

A 2.7 average would be pretty tough anywhere. You might be able to get in to a less competitive program but I doubt it. In this case consider doing a graduate degree. A 3.5-4.0 in grad school will cover a host of other ills.

In your case you have a decent but not outstanding GPA. In my opinion you need to:
A. Decide if you want PT or PA (PT may be just as competitive in some areas).
B. Take your science courses and get good grades.
C. Do well on the GRE.
D. Try to get some medical experience.

That would make you competitive for a number of PA programs. Madison may or may not be a reach. As a back up there are a number of programs in NY and PA among others that are easier to get into.

You may also want to look at http://www.physicianassistantforum.com where you can currently view the angst of the PA students going through the CASPA season.

Good luck

David Carpenter, PA-C