PA in Clinical Genetics?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Genetics

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I was wondering if a PA can get a job working in a clinical genetics department? If so, what type of work would the PA do? Could the PA have a role in the management of genetic syndromes and diagnosing patients?

I don't plan on a career change, but I was wondering if a PA can work in a clinical genetics department.

Thanks in advanced.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello Everyone,

I was wondering if a PA can get a job working in a clinical genetics department? If so, what type of work would the PA do? Could the PA have a role in the management of genetic syndromes and diagnosing patients?

I don't plan on a career change, but I was wondering if a PA can work in a clinical genetics department.

Thanks in advanced.
while I don't know any pa's who work in this role it would be feasible. a pa can work in any field as long as they have supervising md. their scope of practice would be whatever is delegated to them by the doc(s) they work with.

Hello Everyone,

Thanks in advanced.

Yes there are PA's in clinical genetics. Mostly with Master's in genetic counseling. The nice thing is that you can get paid for the counseling as a consult which genetic counselers cant get. Also pediatric genetics has a lot of chronic care. If it paid for anything this would be my dream job.

David Carpenter, PA-C