PA medical licence

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mikky

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All!

I am completing my residency by the end of this month. I have applied for medical licence in the state of Pennsylvania in the last week of April. The board only did my initial review so far. They did not verify my medical school or residency training yet. I am worried I may not be able to start my new job as a hospitalist in time. I would appreciate if any one with PA licence can tell me how long it usually takes to get medical licence.

Thanks for your time and patience.

Members don't see this ad.

Unfortunately these processes can take a long time - I've applied for medical licenses in two states now, and both took 3-4 months. Other states (FL, TX) are even worse.

If they haven't even verified your med school/residency training yet you may be in for the long haul.

PA was much quicker than NJ or CA for me.

However, it would depend on whether there are any anomalies on your application.

You may want to check on why they haven't verified your training yet. Have they sent the credentialing paperwork to the relevant departments and don't have a response? If so, you can do some hustling and start making phone calls to see if you can get the paperwork done. I can tell you that filling out these forms, verifying someone is eligible for a license/privileges are a PITA and will often sit on faculty desks for weeks at a time.

Thanks for your inputs Buzz me and Winged scapula. The hospital where I am going to called them up. I hope things would resolve soon...

Thanks for your inputs Buzz me and Winged scapula. The hospital where I am going to called them up. I hope things would resolve soon...

Unfortunately it doesn't help you, but the April is way too late to be applying for a state license if you are expecting to start in July. Make sure the hospital's credentials committee has everything they need, since it usually takes anywhere from 1-3 months to make it through credentialing, and you need to make sure the processes are moving in parallel.