Reasons for denial of limited license?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ForeverAFailure

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there,

A very long story short (as much as possible), I'm a British doctor who, due to severe extenuating circumstances involving a tragic death in the family, ended up failing from my initial medical program after completing 3 years successfully. I was awarded an alternative degree (bachelor of science).

Determined not to give up, I could no longer afford to continue medical education in the UK so went abroad to where tuition was affordable. This new institute agreed to credit me my 3 successfully completed years from the UK and I carried on my merry way until graduation.

I came back to the UK, passed all the required PLAB exams and such, applied for residency, applied for my limited license....aaaand was denied. Apparently, the fact my second university transferred my UK credits from a failed program did not meet the fine print of their licencing criteria. Admittedly, I didn't realise there was any issue at all until it was too late, I figured a successful graduation that gave me a degree was obviously fine, right?

It was absolutely devastating...but I perked up, I'd always wanted to practice in the US anyway...but now I'm absolutely terrified it'll happen again.

I don't want to spend all that time and money and effort on the USMLEs, get a residency and fall at the last hurdle again.

I've made calls, I've sent emails, I've read very, VERRRRY, long pdf documents regarding specific state (MA) criteria for IMGs to be eligible for limited license, but I see things that frighten me and the boards cannot give specific answers up front, nor can they assess your credentials for a license prior to you getting to the stage of passing your exams and matching to a residency.

I see things like "if you have transferred/been terminated from medical school/studied longer than 6 years, you must provide a written explanation."

It doesn't explicitly say that any of those excludes you from a license...but I have to imagine it's a problem...

Does anyone know if I'm entirely screwed and if I've spent all my money and years of my life that I can never get back achieving a degree that I can never use?

Has anyone been (or know anyone that's been) denied a license before and what the reasons were?

Has anyone else had academic hardship and still managed to get their license?

Any advice, places to contact, people to ask or just any help at all would be so appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.