PA or DPM...Low GPA (in my mind!)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hughesn2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am kinda new to this forum. Currently I am a senior at Michigan State as a Lyman Briggs Physiology major student. Currently my GPA is a 3.33 GPA (science 3.00), but after this semester it will probably be around a 3.22 GPA. This is mostly b/c I am taking a Physio and BioChem course in which is known as more challenging and more difficult than the Physio and BioChem courses you learn in even Pre-Med courses (coming from past MSU students). I am stressing out because as of now I plan on having a cumulative GPA of about a 3.20 GPA after next Spring semester (science GPA around a 2.80)

So my question is: Does any PA school near Michigan accept GPAs around 3.20 GPA. I know that Western Michigan has an average of a 3.30 GPA, but has anyone gotten accepted into a PA program with a GPA of about a 3.20 GPA. I am planning on getting my clinical hours this Summer with a local doctor who I have already spoken with (I am a CNA). Lately I have been looking at podiatry b/c I actually wanted to go into Podiatry throughout HS.

I know that their GPA is a little bit lower. My issue is that I still have to take a couple extra courses that PA school requires that my major does not. I don't want to take two courses that could lower my GPA if I know that it is nearly impossible to get accepted into any PA school. Also, same goes with the clinical hours. Why waste 1000 hours of clinical hours if a 3.20 GPA with a low science GPA won't get me into any PA school?

I am planning on seeing a Pre-Professional adviser next week, but I would like to see what some people who have previously been accepted or rejected have to say about this.
THANKS!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello!

First off, I think you could probably find out a lot of the information about the schools by simply calling and asking them what their cutoffs are, and what the ranges of acceptance they have historically taken. A lot of this information is often on the websites for the schools.

I wouldn't put your grades too much in the way of pursuing your dreams. First you will have to decide if you want to pursue DPM or PA (obviously), but it is good to try and apply to whichever you choose and see what happens. This is good for two reasons. 1) you could possibly get accepted. 2) You could get rejected and then ask what would make you a better candidate, and often times schools will tell you. Then try again.

One other thing, look through AAPA list of accredited schools and see where you can get in, and don't be afraid to apply to some schools that are farther away. It sounds like you're still in college and shouldn't have too many attachments to worry about.

Like I said, I have shadowed a podiatrist in HS and did want to become one, but when I got to college I was under the impression that DPM school was harder to get into than PA school, which turned out to be just a misinformed senior medical student.

My issue with pursuing PA schools over DPM that could be misleading is because if I go to PA school route I would need at least 1000 hours of clinical as a CNA and take the GRE (but WMU does not require the GRE). But DPM only requires 50 hours of shadowing a podiatrist and the MCAT. If I go on the PA route I wouldn't have as much time to study for the MCAT b/c I would be spending all the time getting hours as a CNA

Am also asking other PA school students that did get into a school with a GPA at about a 3.20 and science GPA around a 2.9

Members don't see this ad :)
100 hours is hardly anything. and honestly you'll be competing with ex corpsman, nurses, respiratory therapists and paramedics with thousands of hours of experience. if PA school is really important to you I think you need to change your view on getting health care experience ASAP, it was designed to further allied health care worker's education.

besides the MCAT is far more rigorous than the GRE. youll have to invest a lot more time in studying for it. I personally am not interested in DPMs since you're limited to such a small area of the body. PAs can assist surgeries, run fast tracks in emergency departments, provide critical care, primary care, the list goes on.

100 hours is hardly anything. and honestly you'll be competing with ex corpsman, nurses, respiratory therapists and paramedics with thousands of hours of experience. if PA school is really important to you I think you need to change your view on getting health care experience ASAP, it was designed to further allied health care worker's education.

besides the MCAT is far more rigorous than the GRE. youll have to invest a lot more time in studying for it. I personally am not interested in DPMs since you're limited to such a small area of the body. PAs can assist surgeries, run fast tracks in emergency departments, provide critical care, primary care, the list goes on.

First, I never said 100 hrs, I said 1000 hours. 1000hrs at least is not "hardly anything." Even working at 40hrs a week during the Summer you would need at least 25 weeks.
Second, the MCAT is tougher than the GRE, no way!!! No duh! I already knew that...before I was even in college

But I think misunderstood my point. I would like to be a PA, but why go through a whole year of working at a hospital to get my hours, then take the GRE and end up getting rejected by the PA schools I want to go to. Then I would be back at stage 1. My main question was to past PA students who think that graduating with a 3.25 GPA and a science and math GPA of a 3.16 could get you into PA schools, and which ones tend to lower their bar. THANKS!