Pa/phd medical scientist program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted6669

For anyone who is really a glutton for punishment behold the 6 yr pa, phd program:
http://www.wfubmc.edu/Academic-Prog...t-Program/MMS-PhD-Combined-Degree-Program.htm

you have to meet prereqs for both the pa and phd components and meet all graduation requirements of both programs. really not a shortcut, just an integrated program like the
pa, pharmd, pa, mph, or pa, mba programs out there.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
For anyone who is really a glutton for punishment behold the 6 yr pa, phd program:
http://www.wfubmc.edu/Academic-Prog...t-Program/MMS-PhD-Combined-Degree-Program.htm

you have to meet prereqs for both the pa and phd components and meet all graduation requirements of both programs. really not a shortcut, just an integrated program like the
pa, pharmd, pa, mph, or pa, mba programs out there.

Never heard of a pa, pharmd program. Do you have any other information on this?

Members don't see this ad :)
This definitely seems like the way to go for those individuals with the brains and resources.

there are np/nd(naturopath) programs as well.
no pa/nd that I am aware of..although I will check.

there are np/nd(naturopath) programs as well.
no pa/nd that I am aware of..although I will check.

In regards to the new Minute Clinics and Take Care clinics I wonder how PAs are able to fill these positions (since they have to be supervised in all states).

In regards to the new Minute Clinics and Take Care clinics I wonder how PAs are able to fill these positions (since they have to be supervised in all states).

"distant supervision" is legal in most states which means someone is available by phone and charts are reviewed after the fact.
pa's do much more than staff minute clinics solo. they also staff rural primary care clinics, er's, and icu's. also check out the solo pa position in the nicu at bridgeport hospital in connecticut right now. notice that they are not looking for a neonatal np...
I know you are aware of this trend and just trying to start another endless pa putdown thread so why don't you just stop now?
as a self described np student( and I doubt you are even that) you are not in any position to comment on pa issues.
ps - no self respecting pa would work for a minute clinic. np's are welcome to all of those jobs if they want. if you want to be regarded as the "quickie mart provider of choice" you are free to hold tight to that designation while we staff all of the er's, primary care clinics, and specialty practices..
np's are working themselves out of all the good jobs by pushing for independence and wanting to be called "dr".
nursing midlevels working independently don't have any mechanism for quality improvement. this is not a good thing. supervision= fixing mistakes so they don't become habits....

I'm going to remind everyone that this is a professional forum. Please conduct yourselves appropriately.

This continued back-and-forth will not be tolerated. If it does not cease, all parties involved may be subject to disciplinary action.

I'm going to remind everyone that this is a professional forum. Please conduct yourselves appropriately.

This continued back-and-forth will not be tolerated. If it does not cease, all parties involved may be subject to disciplinary action.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

And can the professionalism of this thread be improved a bit too?

Seriously, all the vitriolic back and forth makes me want to close my SDN account.

Last edited:
This is a quote from Skippygonenuts from another thread:

"I was reading the other thread about having multiple offices and was curious as to what about having a Physician Assistant run one of the offices alone on certain days and having the DPM check in on the other days and see some patients?

which leads me to the reason i started this thread--> I've seen quite a few contradicting things regarding whether DPMs can even hire PA's..I looked through a bunch of the "law stuff" and didn't clearly understand whether DPMs can hire PA's or not, specifically looking for the NJ NY area.

Even though i'm starting at a DO school this fall, i'm have been very interested in pod for a little less than a year now, and I talked my brother into it..he's in the application process now, so I'm trying to figure out as much as I can to see how we can possibly have a future business together and possibly hire some PA's for him and myself. Would we be able to? If I am not in the business with him for any reason, would he be able to hire a PA on his own?

Do these businesses happen often between MD/DO and DPMs? If so, what areas of medicine could a DPM possibly partner with besides Ortho?"

Looks like pods can hire and supervise PAs too, interesting.

Last edited:
Here is a bill just passed in Michigan on this subject.

here is the full link

http://www.michiganpa.org/AM/Templa...EMPLATE=/CM/ContentDisplay.cfm&CONTENTID=4083

This phrase sort of stood out:

The podiatrist can only supervise a PA in the performance of duties included within the podiatrist's scope of practice.

So essentially if the PA was in a family practice clinic, the DPM would have to be certified in Family Medicine to be able to "Supervise" the PA to do anything not dealing with Podiatry.

I'm guessing the # of pa's who work for podiatrists nationally is around a dozen...can't imagine doing it myself unless I was thinking about pursuing further education as a dpm...I know a pa who did this. she now works as a partner in an ortho group as a dpm, pa-c. runs a clinic that does podiatry and postop surgical ortho stuff. spends a few days/week in the o.r. and a few in clinic. pretty nice scope of practice. she is independent for the dpm stuff and "supervised " via chart review for the above the ankle stuff. makes pretty good money. and can legitimately say " hi, I'm dr smith, one of the podiatrists here". lot of school to get to that point. I think she did bs+ms/pa=6 yrs+ 4 yrs for dpm+ internship so 11 yrs...if she had thought it through from the start she could have just become an md/do doc..

I'm guessing the # of pa's who work for podiatrists nationally is around a dozen...can't imagine doing it myself unless I was thinking about pursuing further education as a dpm...I know a pa who did this. she now works as a partner in an ortho group as a dpm, pa-c. runs a clinic that does podiatry and postop surgical ortho stuff. spends a few days/week in the o.r. and a few in clinic. pretty nice scope of practice. she is independent for the dpm stuff and "supervised " via chart review for the above the ankle stuff. makes pretty good money. and can legitimately say " hi, I'm dr smith, one of the podiatrists here". lot of school to get to that point. I think she did bs+ms/pa=6 yrs+ 4 yrs for dpm+ internship so 11 yrs...if she had thought it through from the start she could have just become an md/do doc..

I don't know if as a DPM going back to school to get your PA credentials is worth it.

I do believe becoming a PA then a DPM is worthwhile. Seems like this is the route the above mentioned clinician took.

If this is the trend in the PA profession will we be seeing PAs supervised by DPTs, chiropractors, optometrists, dentists ect. in the future?

Last edited:
If this is the trend in the PA profession will we be seeing PAs supervised by DPTs, chiropractors, optometrists, dentists ect. in the future?

it's not a trend. I've seen it once in 25 years.
in the vast(>99%) of situations pa's work only for physicians or physician groups as mandated by law. the trend will be longer pa programs, more pa's attending residencies, and pa's working with a broader scope of practice and more autonomy. pa owned and operated practices will likely become more common as well.

I noticed that you mentioned that you can't imagine working for/being supervised by a podiatrist. Is the reason for this because you view yourself/PAs to be at the same "level" as podiatrists?

Last edited:
I noticed that you mentioned that you can't imagine working for/being supervised by a podiatrist. Is the reason for this because you view yourself/PAs to be at the same "level" as podiatrists?

are you just on here to try to stir things up? I'm actually surprised they still let you loose around here

nope, I'm just not interested in podiatry.
they have a 4 yr doctorate level education and do adv. residency training for a min of 2 yrs(most do 3) to be foot and ankle surgeons.I have a lot of respect for podiatrists and have worked with podiatry residents for many years at one of my prior jobs. they loved taking folks to the o.r. for foot/ankle pathology because they needed a certain # of cases so often would come in late at night when on call to do cases. given a choice I would always consult podiatry>ortho for cases involving complex foot/ankle pathology but unfortunately not all my jobs have podiatrists on call to the er.
podiatry scope of practice( for foot/ankle) > pa.
pa scope of practice for anything not involving foot/ankle > podiatry. not too many podiatrists working in peds clinics, ct surgery teams, er's, or on inpatient endocrinology services for example...