PA program and SMP merger?

7175pank

Removed
Apr 18, 2012
  1. Pre-Medical
    I know the title doesn't exist I was just wondering what people's thoughts would be if such a thing were to exist.

I don't have the stats to get into an allo school without an SMP but at the same time doing one just seems like such an obnoxious hail Mary with no real recourse for a mediocre to sub-par performance (hell, there isn't even a guarantee for an exceptional performance to get anywhere). Since these things are designed to see if you have the mettle for med school while taking medical classes, why don't they fuse them with a PA program?

robflanker

10+ Year Member
    7+ Year Member
    Feb 17, 2009
    1. Resident [Any Field]
      Since these things are designed to see if you have the mettle for med school while taking medical classes, why don't they fuse them with a PA program?
      Because in PA programs you aren't taking medical school classes (no matter what a PA tells you).... and cos they are completely diff.

Why not merge MPH and SMPs too?

7175pank

Removed
      Apr 18, 2012
      1. Pre-Medical
        Because in PA programs you aren't taking medical school classes (no matter what a PA tells you).... and cos they are completely diff.

Why not merge MPH and SMPs too?

I wouldn't have anything against the latter either but in what way are PA schools and SMPs so glaringly different? Most SMP degrees that are offered right now seem like crap shoots where schools just mishmash a bunch of medical science and graduate science classes. Why not turn it into something practical even if it takes a year or two longer?

Last edited:
        About the Ads

robflanker

10+ Year Member
        7+ Year Member
        Feb 17, 2009
        1. Resident [Any Field]
          I wouldn't have anything against the latter either but in what way are PA schools and SMPs so glaringly different? Most SMP degrees that are offered right now seem like crap shoots where schools just mishmash a bunch of medical science and graduate science classes. Why not turn it into something practical even if it takes a year or two longer?
          I was being sarcastic about combining SMPs and MPHs

I think you need to do some reading about the goals of each of these programs, and why they differ. You clearly have some serious misconceptions about them

7175pank

Removed
          Apr 18, 2012
          1. Pre-Medical
            I was being sarcastic about combining SMPs and MPHs

I think you need to do some reading about the goals of each of these programs, and why they differ. You clearly have some serious misconceptions about them

I figured you were and I still wouldn't have any objection to the idea.

Your objection to infusing a PA curriculum with an SMP curriculum would be...? I'd think it would just really be a PA program with tacked on med school classes before the clinical year. To me it makes a lot more sense then doing something where you only come out with a masters that is about as useful as tp.

QQm

7+ Year Member
            Apr 22, 2010
            1. Medical Student
              90% of the value of an SMP comes from matching up against the M1 curve, basically telling the med adcoms "HEY LOOK I'M DOING BETTER THAN YOUR PRECIOUS ACCEPTED STUDENTS."

Matching up against PA students doesn't have the same...je nais se quoi.

About the Ads
              This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
              2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
              3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
              4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
              5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
              6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
              7. This thread is locked.