PA/RN as med school backup? / some basic questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kaleidoscopes

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I just started considering the PA / RN field and I have a few basic questions that I'm having trouble finding reliable answers to.

What are the pre-req classes for PA and RN school? is it the same as for med school? (bio, chem, organic chem, physics)

what's the average GPA and science GPA of people accepted to both?

is it common for students to have these two fields as "back-ups" for med school? like if I'm getting clinical experience, research experience, would this also help to get into these fields? Or do they look for many different things med school applicants need?

I'd really appreciate any responses! thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

you are probably going to find that jumping through the hoopes to either nursing or PA school while still trying to get into medical school will be difficult. PA schools generally have a candidate profile they look for that doesnt exactly mesh with the average medical school candidate profile. its also really competetive to get into PA school and nursing school. it might be natural to think that if you are a medical school candidate, then the other two fields would be easier by defualt, but they also have excellen students applying to those programs that have zeroed in on exactly what those programs are looking for. they have thier own prerequisite courses that dont always tie into a pre med background. as a premed, you probably took harder science classes than the nursing students did, but if they got A's in thier prereqs, then you are at a disadvantage. if you have mediocre grades and cant get into med school, then PA school wont be any easier. addditionally, if you dont have good health care experience, you probably wont get into a PA program, because they expect you to at least have that going for you.

a good analogy i thought up is that by expecting these kinds of backups would be like a toyota car engineer expecting to walk into a mechanics shop and get hired right off the bat. also, PA and nursing arent medical school lite... they are generally terminal degrees that have thier own skill sets. you need to decide if you actually enjoy these fields before you "settle" in them after you get rejected from medical school. it can make a lot of difference in how happy you are.

personally, i would say your best bet is to have backup schools, not backup careers.

agree with above. ideal medschool and pa school profiles are very different.

ideal medstudent: 22 yrs old, 4.0 gpa biochem major, research, high mcat

ideal pa student 25+ yrs old, 2+ yrs as a paramedic/rn/rt, several courses not taken by med students, "life experience".

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the responses. what are the pre-req classes for admissions to PA / RN schools?

its up to you to get a complete rundown on the prereqs from the individual programs... they vary quite a bit, especially among PA schools. you have some schools that have an ideal applicant with a lot of HCE, and some want very high GPAs, and care less about HCE. in general, the prereqs arent the complicated part of becoming an ideal candidate for a school, its the overall profile that makes it hard to take a shotgun approach to applying to PA programs as a backup. if you have a premed courseload, you are likely to be fairly close as far as the academic prereqs go, but you will be sniffed out by those looking over the applications if they see on your application, for example, a ton of hours in clinical research with no contact with patients. then you get your essay looked at, and your letters of rec. Ive heard that PA adcoms are sensetive to the notion that they admit people that can't hack getting into medical school. there are enough excellent PA candidates aleady that they dont have to entertain folks who really want to be doctors... so they don't do it.

Nursing school prereqs also vary, but the problem you will have there is A) lots of folks that want to be nurses get good grades in nursing prereqs (the nurses i know personally had great gpa's... because pre nursing sciences are easy). B) you might actually not have classes that they will accept as prereqs because of the fact that they arent the exact nursing prereqs. when i applied to nursing school, i was lucky that they allowed my ochem to be considered instead of chem 101 which i didnt have. not every program will allow this. and like PA programs, RN programs vary widely as far as thier criteria and prereqs. you could probably get in nursing with no problem, but the difference between a doctor and a nurse is vast. you have to be ready to face the possibility that you could have been a doctor, and instead are cleaning up someones stool when there isnt a nurse aid around.

if you have the time to come up with 3 references that can articulate why you will be a great PA, and 3 that can do that for nursing, as well as compile differeing prereqs that fit into the critera for the various nursing and PA schools out there, then you may want to go for it. that sounds really complicated to me, but only you know what you are hoping to accomplish. i was pre-PA, and just got into nursing school, but that was less of a backup plan for me than it was a decision on what was best for where i am now. i like to think that i would have gotten into PA school this year if i had applied. i know the feeling of wanting a fallback. Ive decided that for me, its just better to put all my chips in on my goal and not quit until i make it happen. otherwise, we often take the path of least resistance when the going gets tough.

every pa school is a bit different but most require these:
bio 1 yr with labs
chem 1 yr with labs
microbio with lab
A+P 1 yr with labs
psych
1 yr of college level math or stats
some want biochem/ochem
some want genetics
some want english courses
some want genetics
some want foriegn language
1 wants physics
some want cell bio, pathophys, epidemiology, etc

Nursing school requirements-
1 yr A&P
Microbiology + lab
Chemistry for health sciences
Psychology 101
1 year English
1 year math ( including statistics)
Sociology 101 (or sometimes another social science)
nutrition

I think that's it. It's been a while. For what it's worth, I used nursing as my "backup plan" and had no problems getting into med school. You need a bachelors to get in so I got a BSN instead of a bachelors in biology. Good luck!