PA rotation away sites? Better to do rotations at main hospital vs away?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nope80

Resident
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

At our school, as I'm sure is the case for most others, we have the option to move away from the university based hospital (the mothership:)) to do some of our rotations. In fact, due to issues of having enough room, many of us will be placed there randomly for various rotations...

I'm wondering what are the advantages/disadvantages of doing rotations away at community hospitals vs the main hospital? Is it easier? So for specialties that you aren't interested in pursuing but are famed for being hard (like surgery) would it make sense to do this at a community hospital way? Or does it just depend on the team, etc etc and assumptions like that can't be made?

I would only want to go away if I felt like I would maybe get more personal attention (as I think I may need this in the beginning) but at the same time, don't want to leave my family to go live away in a disgusting dorm for a month. What do you all think?

For those that are familiar, the options we have are York Hospital, Lehigh Valley hospital and Reading Hospital.

Thanks for the advice!

Members don't see this ad.

I would only want to go away if I felt like I would maybe get more personal attention (as I think I may need this in the beginning) but at the same time, don't want to leave my family to go live away in a disgusting dorm for a month. What do you all think?

For those that are familiar, the options we have are York Hospital, Lehigh Valley hospital and Reading Hospital.

York does NOT have a "disgusting dorm." From what other students at my school have told me, the student housing at York is very nice, with free meals and snacks. The housing is also connected to the hospital, so the hospital is convenient and safe to get to.

The best bet is to talk to other students from your school who have done rotations through those hospitals. It also depends on what your career goals are.

anyone else regarding the various locations?