PA school Experiences section inquiry (I wasn't able to find a Pre-PA forum so couldn't create a thread)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Neuro244

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently filling out CASPA as I am looking to apply to PA school this cycle and was wondering if some current PA students, new graduates of PA programs, or seasoned PA's could help me out. I know this is the Pre-med forum, but I searched for a Pre-PA forum and couldn't find one so I thought this would be the next closest thing. Below are my questions about filling out the experiences section in CASPA.

1. Should you list shadowing experiences other than shadowing a PA and/or an MD? For instance, if you shadowed physical therapists, podiatrists, and/or a CRNA should you mention that or is that irrelevant and not valuable when applying to PA school?

2. Should you list Non-healthcare work experiences such as working in sales, warehouses, or in customer service? I have heard that if you can highlight how you honed certain skills (time management, efficiency, problem-solving, customer service) during your job and how that would help you as PA student then you should; I wanted to get some more opinions about that. What about if the work experiences are from 2005-2012, is that considered way too old to even put down in an application? Should you only list more recent work experience in this section?

3. Should you list volunteer work such as volunteering in a 24-hour pharmacy and/or a homeless shelter, or would that be more appropriate for a medical school application? I know that the applications are vastly different, but I'm curious if listing these types of experiences would give me a leg up on the application.

Please, no trolls, only honest and professional mature opinions/advice is welcome. Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Health transition fourm has PA stuff