PA school from PharmD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VictorOfHungerGames

May the odds be ever in your favor
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone made a transition into PA from being a pharmacist?

Some of my prereqs have been more than 10 years but is there a possibility that I can bypass with my pharmd degree? I know i don't have to take GRE but wasn't sure about prereq courses. Thank you for your input.

Members don't see this ad.

I would think the majority of your grad level classes is going to cover a good number of the prereqs. Just not sure about anatomy? I would contact the schools you are interested in and ask.

I shadowed a IM Physician that was a PharmD back in the 90's. He went from PharmD to MD, but his pre-req was more than 10+ year and he didn't want to retake those courses. So, he ended up going to a Caribbean medical school to pursue his MD. I would check with an advisor at the school that you wish to attend.

Members don't see this ad :)
I shadowed a IM Physician that was a PharmD back in the 90's. He went from PharmD to MD, but his pre-req was more than 10+ year and he didn't want to retake those courses. So, he ended up going to a Caribbean medical school to pursue his MD. I would check with an advisor at the school that you wish to attend.
I don't think that person went to Carib because of prereqs that were taken 10+ yrs ago...

My physics I/II and general chem1 were more than 10+ yrs old and no school said a thing. I got invites from both DO/MD.

Reactions: 1 user
Why not Pharma to MD/DO?
It would take much more time and effort to become an MD. At this point in my life, it would be more efficient to go to a pa school.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't think that person went to Carib because of prereqs that were taken 10+ yrs ago...

My physics I/II and general chem1 were more than 10+ yrs old and no school said a thing. I got invites from both DO/MD.
I think he didn't want to go through the hassle of competitng with younger medical student for a spot. I never had to chance to ask him why.

I think he didn't want to go through the hassle of competitng with younger medical student for a spot. I never had to chance to ask him why.

I see... The competition is brutal because almost everything one's application has to be perfect. It's understandable that someone did not want to go thru the hassle.

There's also the DO route you can take!
DO still takes same amount of time, no? Still have to take mcat, still have to retake prereqs. For a pa school, i dont have to do any of that. With my pharmd, i can bypass gre and most of classes are accept except for the 3 or 4 that are older than 10 years which i can knock out at a community college during summer.

DO still takes same amount of time, no? Still have to take mcat, still have to retake prereqs. For a pa school, i dont have to do any of that. With my pharmd, i can bypass gre and most of classes are accept except for the 3 or 4 that are older than 10 years which i can knock out at a community college during summer.
You DON'T have to retake the prereqs...

You should consider it if you are < 35... The flexibility you will have as a doc is unparalleled

There's quite a few PharmD, PA-Cs even if you just do a google search

You DON'T have to retake the prereqs...

You should consider it if you are < 35... The flexibility you will have as a doc is unparalleled
Wait, what?! Haha you sure about this?!

But then i still have to take the mcat, correct?

Wait, what?! Haha you sure about this?!

But then i still have to take the mcat, correct?
I went thru the process in 2013-14. My physics I/II and general chem1 were over 10 yrs old. I interviewed and got accepted at both DO/MD and no schools brought that up. You have to take the MCAT like everyone else...

I am saying to consider medicine because you want to make sure you do something that don't have to ask yourself what if later on. I was going to do pharmacy but after reading in the pharmacy forum where pharmacy was headed, I decided medicine would be better a better choice.

Last edited:
I went thru the process in 2013-14. My physics I/II and general chem1 were over 10 yrs old. I interviewed and got accepted at both DO/MD and no schools brought that up. You have to take the MCAT like everyone else...

I am saying to consider medicine because you want to make sure you do something that don't have to ask yourself what if later on. I was going to do pharmacy but after reading in the pharmacy forum where pharmacy was headed, I decided medicine would be better a better choice.
I totally agree with you on the fact that I shouldn't do something I would look back and regret. That's pharmacy for me right now. The reason I want to go to PA route is due to where I am in my life right now. Being close to 40, married and planning on having kids soon, med school would not only take way too long but also the stress and effort I have to put in would def affect my family life as well. I don't want to put my wife through that. Being a PA would allow me to have the type of career I want to have, patient care, and have the enjoyment of being in health care but away from pharmacy haha if that makes any sense. With a pharmd, GRE would be waived, I would only have to take 3 more classes to fulfill prereqs for PA schools and its much shorter with decent market when I get out. Especially since I want to get into ER.

I totally agree with you on the fact that I shouldn't do something I would look back and regret. That's pharmacy for me right now. The reason I want to go to PA route is due to where I am in my life right now. Being close to 40, married and planning on having kids soon, med school would not only take way too long but also the stress and effort I have to put in would def affect my family life as well. I don't want to put my wife through that. Being a PA would allow me to have the type of career I want to have, patient care, and have the enjoyment of being in health care but away from pharmacy haha if that makes any sense. With a pharmd, GRE would be waived, I would only have to take 3 more classes to fulfill prereqs for PA schools and its much shorter with decent market when I get out. Especially since I want to get into ER.
It appears that you already have everything planned out... PA is a great career. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users