PA school. Non tradional.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

azngi16

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've taken my first freshman class in the fall on 2003. I've taken my last class in the winder of 2008. It's now 2011, will this hurt my chances of getting accepted to a professional program. I was on the premedical route, but recently decided that perhaps PA would be a better choice, given my age, soon to be 26. The reason why I have gap years, was due to my undiagnosed schzoid paranoia. I'm a 3.7 student at University of Michigan - Dearborn. Was going the premed route, now switching lanes. What are my options given my background.

Members don't see this ad.

If I was 26 I'd be going to med school.

I'm in my 40s and seriously considered med school before deciding not to do it b/c of my age - I'd be in my mid 50s by the time everything is said and done.

We know a lawyer, investment analyst, and engineer that went back to school and then med school - all in their 30s at the time they decided to go back.

At your age it would be a waste not to go for it. Just my $0.02 cents.

I get what firecloud is saying. You should not let age be a factor for choosing PA school or the shorter time route. PA and MD/DO are two very different careers... even though they share similarities, each has its own advanteages and disadvantages, culture and discrimination. Unfortunately age is a discriminating factor for MD/DO school (More so in MD school) because of the time invested in you. The "unofficial cutoff" for med school is about 35. Sure people get in that are older, but that is rare. You are almost ten years under the cutoff. If you already have everything done and rock the MCAT, then why not. But if you do want to go PA make sure it is for the right reasons.

Last edited: