PA to MD/DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

J Bone

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I graduated PA school three years ago and I am having second thoughts about what I really want to do. I have always dreamed of becoming a physician but sold myself short. I took the MCAT back in 2000 and got a 20. This totally discouraged me from applying to med school. Anyway, i am 30 years old and have been thinking about going back to school. Am I crazy?? I bought an MCAT book and it made me realize that my basic science skills need to work. I don't even know if I have enough time to study for the MCAT. My biggest fear with all of this is the MCAT. I have no worries about med school itself because PA school gave me a wonderful background. I graduated from a DO school so I thought that may help. Any advice would be great. :confused:

J

Members don't see this ad.

So I graduated PA school three years ago and I am having second thoughts about what I really want to do. I have always dreamed of becoming a physician but sold myself short. I took the MCAT back in 2000 and got a 20. This totally discouraged me from applying to med school. Anyway, i am 30 years old and have been thinking about going back to school. Am I crazy?? I bought an MCAT book and it made me realize that my basic science skills need to work. I don't even know if I have enough time to study for the MCAT. My biggest fear with all of this is the MCAT. I have no worries about med school itself because PA school gave me a wonderful background. I graduated from a DO school so I thought that may help. Any advice would be great. :confused:

J

I am in your shoes...though I drank the KoolAid six years ago...:eek:

JBone, we've covered this topic a few times. Do a search and you will see lots of similar threads.
My MCAT wasn't too far off from yours. I took all my basic sciences 11-12 yr ago before PA school (out 7.5 yr now). I'm 34 today (happy birthday to me) and I'm going for it. I ordered all the Schaum's outlines (Physics, Biochem, Orgo etc) and am reviewing them one-by-one and ordered EK AudioOsmosis (corny but I think some of it sticks). Then I will take multiple practice tests before I take MCAT again. I think I can score much better this time around having taken it once.
If you're thinking you want to be a physician now, 3 years out as a PA, you will probably feel the same when you are in my shoes 4 more years down the road. I think there are happy, settled PAs and there are a sizeable minority like us. Some of the sizeable minority eventually make peace with PA when they realize all the opportunity costs involved (significant) but you won't know unless you try.
Good luck.
Lisa

Members don't see this ad :)

J

Take one thing at a time. You can't even think about performance in medical school until you get in and you can't think about applying until you take the MCAT.

There is an MCAT forum here on Student Doctor Network. I am sure that you will find some strategies there for preparation for doing well on this very important exam. Your focus needs to be on preparation and execution for this test. You don't have the luxury of not doing well here. Plan on taking this test one time, after thorough preparation; putting together a competitive application and then applying.

If you don't have time to thoroughly prepare, then put off taking the test period. Throwing up a mediocre score because you thought that you would "luck out" won't work with MCAT. Prepare throughly, take plenty of practice tests and then move into the next phase of your application. Good luck!

JBone, we've covered this topic a few times. Do a search and you will see lots of similar threads.

I tried the search and couldn't find anything. I will keep looking. Thanks for the reply. I know I will feel the same way in 2, 5, 10 years. Thanks for the support. Best of luck. HAPPY B-DAY!!!

Take one thing at a time. You can't even think about performance in medical school until you get in and you can't think about applying until you take the MCAT.

I don't think about my performance in med school. The MCAT is the thing that frightens me the most. I don't want to half butt the test, that is what keep me out the first time. I am just wondering if I have enough time to worth a good effort? I need to do some researching!! Thanks everyone!

J

I am also out 3.5 years from PA school, and i have wondered over and over if it is worth it, and i settled on biting the bullet. i haven' started studying for the mcat yet, but as i write this i am making up a schedule. A lot of people on this forum have recommended either EK, KAPLAN OR TPR. I will be using EK. and after 3 months of studying will take the test and apply for 2009.
I know about forgetting all the basics. it sucks!! i actually took the MCAT last year but did not submit the test, cos i would have bombed it big time.

another problem for us is we work full days, and so when do you study? i am fitting study times early in the morning and in the evenings.

Well, Goodluck to you, and to all of us.

Yeah finding the time is very hard. I have to come up with some sort of schedule. I guess the weekends are going to have to be the time when I really buckle down. Funny, but I haven't said the word "study" in three years! Guess it is back to that. Sound like the EK is a great study tool. Thanks for the advice and best of luck to you!!

Are there any other PA's out there who are thinking about Med School? I wonder how much the PA expereince will help with the application process? Do you think this would be a plus or minus? So confused about what to do!! :scared:

I wonder how much the PA expereince will help with the application process? Do you think this would be a plus or minus? So confused about what to do!! :scared:

PA experience is treated as clinical experience like nursing, Respiratory Therapy and other allied health professions. This means that under the clinical experience part of the application, you are set and don't need to search for ways to demonstrate clinical experience.

The rest of your application uGPA/MCAT, letters of recommendation and personal statement need to be competitive same as any applicant. Yes, you are going to be asked why you felt the need to switch from Physician Assistant to physician but any person coming from a health professions background would be asked this question. Have some kind of an answer prepared.

PA experience is treated as clinical experience like nursing, Respiratory Therapy and other allied health professions. This means that under the clinical experience part of the application, you are set and don't need to search for ways to demonstrate clinical experience.

The rest of your application uGPA/MCAT, letters of recommendation and personal statement need to be competitive same as any applicant. Yes, you are going to be asked why you felt the need to switch from Physician Assistant to physician but any person coming from a health professions background would be asked this question. Have some kind of an answer prepared.

I agree!

Thanks everyone for the responses. I thought PA school would count a little more since it was a masters program and I had classes with the DO students.

It *might* count at some places. I don't think it's a golden ticket by any means. Once you're in you'll have a definite advantage clinically but will still have to take all the same classes and presumably some things will be easier. I think in some places being a PA may actually count against us, especially if the school's very geared to the traditional 22yo medical student. I will try not to apply at such places because I wouldn't fit.
Really, nobody cares about our PA master's degree. A PA is a PA is a PA (remember what clinical competence is all about?) You will have to make yourself stand out among the crowd of other wannabe docs.
Again, good luck.
L.

Thanks everyone for the responses. I thought PA school would count a little more since it was a masters program and I had classes with the DO students.

Members don't see this ad :)
J Bone:
I think you've given all the necessary advise thus far. Put your PA degree in the box and focus on completing all the pre-required course, sit for the MCAT and score high >30. No one will care that you graduated from a PA sch affiliated to a DO sch or that you took same classes with DO students. If I were in your shoes, I would switch job or cut down on my hours and focus on completing all pre-req course and study for the MCAT.

Graduating from DO school will be a plus in most cases, but it won't help if you have a poor UG GPA or MCAT. Is your UG gpa 3.5+? If not, you may need to take some classes to bring it up.
For the MCAT, don't even think about taking it until you are scoring in the 30+ range on multiple practice tests. Check out the MCAT forum for more information. I spent about 400 hours in a 10 week period preparing for the test. Focus on practice questions and tests and use study guides to learn more about the types of questions that you are getting wrong.

Also in the same situation--except I haven't graduated from PA school! I've come to the realization that I want to manage the more difficult cases and have a larger scope of practice than the PA profession allows.

Trying to study for the MCAT a little every day with ExamKrackers but limited on time because of PA exams.

Oh well, stick with it and it will happen, right?

Again, I appreciate everyones responses. Yeah, the PA school I graduated from was affiliated with a DO school and we took some classes together. Actually, all of our classes were the same except some were only 10 weeks opposed to 20. I know that being a PA or having graduated from a DO affiliated school is not a "golden ticket." As some of you know, studying for the MCAT can be challenging with a 55+ hour per week job. Perfect example. Woke up at 6:15 on sunday, sat down to study, pager goes off, go to the hospital, fix the hip, get home at 1:00. So much for studying the whole morning! :mad: Just looking for some advice about what to do. Great forum and I appreciate the advice!! Good luck to all of you. THANKS!!

Also in the same situation--except I haven't graduated from PA school! I've come to the realization that I want to manage the more difficult cases and have a larger scope of practice than the PA profession allows.

Trying to study for the MCAT a little every day with ExamKrackers but limited on time because of PA exams.

Trying to balance PA exams with the MCAT, WOW! Those exams can be difficult. Couldn't imagine trying to do both at the same time. I wish you the best of luck. Keep your head up and someday you will achieve that goal.

JCampbell, do yourself a favor and concentrate on PA school right now. If you're committed to finishing it, you need to finish well. This is not the time to divide your study efforts among medicine and MCAT prep. YOu will have time later to brush up on MCAT preps AFTER you finish school and pass PANCE. It won't do you any good to finish PA school if you can't pass PANCE and be certified to practice.
One step at a time.....

€€

JCampbell, do yourself a favor and concentrate on PA school right now. If you're committed to finishing it, you need to finish well. This is not the time to divide your study efforts among medicine and MCAT prep. YOu will have time later to brush up on MCAT preps AFTER you finish school and pass PANCE. It won't do you any good to finish PA school if you can't pass PANCE and be certified to practice.
One step at a time.....

€€

So far I'm managing both nicely but won't sacrifice my PA education/certification for an outstanding MCAT score. My thinking is to slowly work my way through a review book (ExamKrackers) when I can and take the MCAT this spring while my pre-med science courses are still in the head and to become familiar with the exam. I'll see how I do, but my main focus is PA school and at this point ExamKrackers is now my "leisure" reading.

Ha, fun "leisure reading". Enjoy!
Hey, if you can manage to do both without letting your sciences get all crusty like mine you'll probably do fine on the MCAT.
Enjoy.
L.

So far I'm managing both nicely but won't sacrifice my PA education/certification for an outstanding MCAT score. My thinking is to slowly work my way through a review book (ExamKrackers) when I can and take the MCAT this spring while my pre-med science courses are still in the head and to become familiar with the exam. I'll see how I do, but my main focus is PA school and at this point ExamKrackers is now my "leisure" reading.

for those PAs wanting to pursue medical school......why? what are the main reasons, and what is it that you dont like about being a PA? I ask because im trying to decide b/w PA school and med school.

for those PAs wanting to pursue medical school......why? what are the main reasons, and what is it that you dont like about being a PA? I ask because im trying to decide b/w PA school and med school.

I'm in the same boat. After I had shadowed PA's it seemed to me that they were much happier because all the patients liked them more cause they were able to spend more time with them and that the staff also enjoyed them more, not having to worry about overhead, not as much malpractice insurance, etc. Also the whole switching subspecialties. Here's another site to that might be able to help you. Thanks you guys.

http://www.physicianassistantforum.com/

There is very much a "glass ceiling" for PAs. The first several years out is a steep learning curve but once you hit it there isn't really anywhere else to go except to spread laterally (specialties). Particularly for a primary care PA like me I get perpetually frustrated by working almost the same hours and at the same level of production as the physicians and being expected to perform at the same level (provide equivalent care) without the equivalent knowledge or preparation and for less than half the pay. I get tired of being a perpetual intern. I get tired of consultants never sending back notes to me and they get filed away in the chart and I've never seen them when my supervising physician just blindly signs them off. I tire of having no say in the day-to-day business decisions of the practice. I could go on but you could search my posts and find out for yourself.
I'm nearing a critical mass where I either have to go to med school or get over it. I'm gonna apply and see what happens. I just turned 34 and if I get too much older I'll feel like it's gonna be too late soon.
It's a very personal decision but don't buy the "PAs work so much less than doctors, they punch in and out 9-5, never on call, yada yada". Not true.
L.

I agree with primadonna regarding the glass ceiling and interactions with other providers. I'm still in the student phase, but have seen plenty of reason to move towards medical school.

At the end, you have to decide where your heart is--being a PA or an MD. Being a PA student and interacting with PAs and MDs in my education, I know that mine is in the MD field. I may take the long way to get there, but I'll get there...

PA has always sounded like such a sweet deal to me. especially when compared to the many 'medical school/being a doctor isnt worth it anymore" opinions that seem to be common these days. its funny how you can never truly understand something until you experience it yourself......

Let me tell you, being a PA is not a 9-5 job in the specialties. I am currently in ortho and my day starts around 6:30 and ends at ???? Just got home. A short 13 hour day, which is pretty much the norm. On call, pretty much all the time. Personally, it comes down to what you really want. I have been talking to a lot of docs about my situation. Some say yes, some say no. The ones that say no, say no because of the future of healthcare. Day in and day out they complain about how the remibursment is down, how they work harder now and get paid less. I am not sure what PA's in primary care make, but I can tell you that my salary in over 100K, which is the norm in ortho/neuro/cardio. So, if you are in it for the money, being a PA is a nice life. You will not be rich but will live a comfortable life. Most of my friends think I am crazy to give up the lifestyle I have to go back to school. But for me, it is not about the money. Sorry for rambling on, long day, and very frustrated.

Let me tell you, being a PA is not a 9-5 job in the specialties. I am currently in ortho and my day starts around 6:30 and ends at ???? Just got home. A short 13 hour day, which is pretty much the norm. On call, pretty much all the time. Personally, it comes down to what you really want. I have been talking to a lot of docs about my situation. Some say yes, some say no. The ones that say no, say no because of the future of healthcare. Day in and day out they complain about how the remibursment is down, how they work harder now and get paid less. I am not sure what PA's in primary care make, but I can tell you that my salary in over 100K, which is the norm in ortho/neuro/cardio. So, if you are in it for the money, being a PA is a nice life. You will not be rich but will live a comfortable life. Most of my friends think I am crazy to give up the lifestyle I have to go back to school. But for me, it is not about the money. Sorry for rambling on, long day, and very frustrated.

You weren't rambling at all! I appreciate all the info that you gave there :). I shadowed a PA in ortho and he worked a 9-5 job, but he wasn't doing anything in surgery. He told me how the surgeons worked less than him usually though. And I've heard it all depends on the people you work with and where you work also.
And thank you primadonna22274 and jcampbell for your info too!

You weren't rambling at all! I appreciate all the info that you gave there :). I shadowed a PA in ortho and he worked a 9-5 job, but he wasn't doing anything in surgery. He told me how the surgeons worked less than him usually though. And I've heard it all depends on the people you work with and where you work also.
And thank you primadonna22274 and jcampbell for your info too!

You are totally correct, it depends on the people you work with and the health care system you are in. I personally spend 95% of my day in the hospital. I operate all day, everyday. There are a lot of PA's who only work office. At my old Ortho job, I did both. The doc I worked with didn't like to work that hard so neither did I. I also made less than half of what I make now. I don't want to really get into all of this but if any PA's or future PA's have questions, I would like to speak with them. Just send me a PM. :thumbup:

jCampbell, i admire the fact that u can put in Mcat prep time within all the PA School exams. I just wanted to let u consider one thing. Leaving PA school straight to med school applications make u appear to be wishy washy by the adcoms. that's what i have heard anyway. A lot of people have said it looks better if u put in some years(3 to five or more) in the profession before u apply. It gives u time to experience it and make that choice(Between PA and med school), and also to mature.

On the other hand, i guess, it doesn't hurt to try when you can.

J bone, i see we are both having the same trouble with study time. No call for me but just to catch up on today's dictations, i have not gotten to my reading schedule for today. i have shifted it till tomorrow am.

Let's stay strong!!!

Brevity Edit jCampbell, i admire the fact that u can put in Mcat prep time within all the PA School exams. I just wanted to let u consider one thing. Leaving PA school straight to med school applications make u appear to be wishy washy by the adcoms. that's what i have heard anyway. A lot of people have said it looks better if u put in some years(3 to five or more) in the profession before u apply. It gives u time to experience it and make that choice(Between PA and med school), and also to mature.

I appreciate your feedback/viewpoint but will continue to apply for admission directly following PA school. Even though some adcoms may view me as being "wishy washy," in the least I have attempted to gain acceptance sooner rather than later, and who knows, the cards might play out?! Secondly, in the event of not being accepted, I would gain the perspective of better understanding the application process and may possibly increase my chances when applying to the one school the second/third, etc. time(s). As far as the experience is concerned, I have enough to know that PA is not it for me but would also view any work as a PA valuable and appreciate may time in the field.

Thanks for your perspective.

I'm sure you wouldn't be the first PA to graduate and go right to med school. Be prepared for the questions though. You will probably not find much love at your local med school if your PA program is affiliated with a med school though...departmental loyalty sort of.
IMO as someone who's done this for a while I think you would be a much stronger candidate if you DID work as a PA for a little while (2-3 years) but there's a mixed blessing there: student loan interest continues to grow, and you get too used to a nice paycheck and free time. If you're young enough (<28 or so) it may behoove you to just stay in school and plod it out.
Good luck.
L.

I appreciate your feedback/viewpoint but will continue to apply for admission directly following PA school. Even though some adcoms may view me as being "wishy washy," in the least I have attempted to gain acceptance sooner rather than later, and who knows, the cards might play out?! Secondly, in the event of not being accepted, I would gain the perspective of better understanding the application process and may possibly increase my chances when applying to the one school the second/third, etc. time(s). As far as the experience is concerned, I have enough to know that PA is not it for me but would also view any work as a PA valuable and appreciate may time in the field.

Thanks for your perspective.

I thought I would share some of my experience and offer a little encouragement. I just finished my second quarter as an MS-I. Before that, I worked as a PA for 5+ years before deciding it was the right decision to go to med school. I will be 40 in July.
There are days (mostly during finals week) when I question my decision to give up a good salary, a comfortable life and take on substantial debt. But most days, I am thrilled. I am really glad I made the decision I did. I agree about the glass ceiling and although I work with a great group ( I still remain on staff as a part-timer) I wanted to do more.
I wanted to do more with IT/admin and well as other clinical and non-clinical opportunities that I just could not have as a PA. I enjoyed my time as a PA and thoroughly respect the profession.
There are two students in my class who started med school right out of PA school and they went to PA school at the same place as the med school.
If you want to be a doctor and cannot get that desire out of your mind/heart, GO FOR IT.
STUDY for the MCAT. Get a job that you do not have to work so many hours (ER shifts) or go part time, but if med school is what you want, invest the time now.
Good luck to everyone no matter where you are in the process. Feel free to contact me if you have further questions.

I'm sure you wouldn't be the first PA to graduate and go right to med school.
Correct, several from my program have done this.

Be prepared for the questions though.
No problem there, I've thought long and hard about this and discussed this with program faculty.

You will probably not find much love at your local med school if your PA program is affiliated with a med school though...departmental loyalty sort of.
My PA school also has a medical school, but not the one I would attend.

IMO as someone who's done this for a while I think you would be a much stronger candidate if you DID work as a PA for a little while (2-3 years) but there's a mixed blessing there: student loan interest continues to grow, and you get too used to a nice paycheck and free time.
Thanks for your thoughts! Gaining familiarity with the MCAT/application process isn't a bad idea though even if ideally I would be a stronger candidate after working as a PA though, right?

If you're young enough (<28 or so) it may behoove you to just stay in school and plod it out.
Right on target with what our medical director and faculty are telling me, I'm 22 and they say just knock it all out while I'm young and energetic.

Good luck.
L.

response above, thanks!

J bone, i see we are both having the same trouble with study time. No call for me but just to catch up on today's dictations, i have not gotten to my reading schedule for today. i have shifted it till tomorrow am.

Let's stay strong!!!

Let's stay strong, appreciate the support! No question it is tough having a full-time job. Just got news that my whole weekend is shot because of some family party. Not that I don't love them, but it stresses me out that I can't study that much. Micah6:8 thank you for the insight and a med student coming from the PA profession. I think all this advice is wonderful. I wish you guys were around a long time ago. I could be starting a fellowship by now!!! :D

"I appreciate your feedback/viewpoint but will continue to apply for admission directly following PA school. Even though some adcoms may view me as being "wishy washy," in the least I have attempted to gain acceptance sooner rather than later, and who knows, the cards might play out?! Secondly, in the event of not being accepted, I would gain the perspective of better understanding the application process and may possibly increase my chances when applying to the one school the second/third, etc. time(s). As far as the experience is concerned, I have enough to know that PA is not it for me but would also view any work as a PA valuable and appreciate may time in the field.

Thanks for your perspective."

You are right. if u don't gain acceptance right away, nothing is lost.

How is everyone doing? Dazed, thank for the message. Hope everyone has a good weekend and gets some studying done. :thumbup:

J

You'll need a much better score than a 20!!

You'll need a much better score than a 20!!

actually several DO programs like pa applicants and will accept them based on experience and gpa alone. I know several pa to doc folks with mcats in the 18-20 range. they were told just to take it to meet the requirement and they took it cold and still got in.....

Well, I hope to score a little better on the MCAT this time! I think I studied more this weekend then I did for the entire exam last time, which BTW, was about eight years ago. I would like to find out what school would be better for us non-traditionals. I actually like the concept of DO's since I went to a DO affilitated school and the majority of my friends are DO's. Anyway, just wasting sometime before I dive into physics. It has been almost 12 years since I took my last physics course :eek:. Oh well!

actually several DO programs like pa applicants and will accept them based on experience and gpa alone. I know several pa to doc folks with mcats in the 18-20 range. they were told just to take it to meet the requirement and they took it cold and still got in.....

Hi emedPA, i would love to know some of those D.O programs, 'cos in that case i am a sure in. This is so comforting! This MCAT business is like a nightmare!!!

...Actually, all of our classes were the same except some were only 10 weeks opposed to 20....

Ah, more of the mid-level agitprop that the training is the just as rigorous because everybody knows that ten weeks is the same as twenty and all you miss out on is all that useless stuff.

I found some of the post here so immature....it's funny how some PA just don't have no clue of MD training hence try to make comparison...it's also funny how some MD resident or what not who just have no clue of PA training (for example..how rigorous it is...) or who maybe are following their dad's foot steps or family tradition...like i read in some post a resident saying my dad is a doctor..blah..blah...blahhhhhhhhh who cares.
J Bone: You're making so much noise. If I were you (just like I'm currently doing), I will keep my mouth shot...study hard for the MCAT then apply...
Panta Bear: I would strongly recommend that you focus on your residency training. Don't comment on what you don't know much about.

My fiance is a pediatrician (resident)...and I'm a fourth yr PA and we both have a lot of respect for each others training....this is all b/c she saw how hard I study just as she did while in medical sch...mind you, I'm not trying to make any freaking comparison....

enough is enough!

Reactions: 1 user
This thread has some fantastic info... thank you all for your feedback; I for one really appreciate it.

;)

J Bone: You're making so much noise. If I were you (just like I'm currently doing), I will keep my mouth shot...study hard for the MCAT then apply...

enough is enough!

Well, I really think you have no clue what you are talking about. First of all, I NEVER compared PA school to medical school. I have the utmost respect for physicians and medical students. I stated, as you can see in the above thread, that our classes were 10 weeks compared to 20 weeks. I really don't reacall stating that the material was the exact same. HOWEVER, WE TOOK THE SAME CLASSES AS THE DO STUDENTS. THE SAME CLASS, AT THE SAME TIME, WITH THE SAME PROFESSORS. Is PA school the same as Medical School? Ahh..........NO! Of course medical school is harder, longer, etc. All I was doing was asking if it would help that I went to PA school.
You know, it is funny that you say, "If I were you, I will keep my mouth shut." REALLY? It seems like that is the opposite of what you are doing now. So, why don't you, SHUT YOUR MOUTH, and study for the MCAT. I honestly hope that if you intend to take the MCAT that you spend the majority of your time on verbal reasoning. This is an obvious skill you DO NOT possess. Please read the attached link for help in this area...
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=223930

This thread was very helpful to a lot of people. I have recieved a few PM's from students looking for info. Everything was fine until princekc decided to show up. If you don't like what you are reading, move on. Taking the time to type some immature comments only piss people like me off. Best of luck to you and the peds resident! :hardy:

Your 2000 MCAT scored was 20:oops: (PS? BS? VR?__). I bet you probably did poorly in VR.

If your intention is to attend medical school, then spend your time focusing on retaking the MCAT and scoring more >30 to be competitive. Here is a helpful link:http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=46880&page=2

J.Bone: Med sch don't care that you are an orthopedic PA earning >100k/yr.

J

In reference to your initial post!