PA to NP?!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PAJenn

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if it is possible to transition from PA to NP, without an RN degree?? A friend of mine told me there are masters programs out there for people who aren't RN's to become NP's...does anyone know of this? Also, does anyone know how else I could transition from PA to NP? Any help would be greatly appreciated! :) :) :)

Members don't see this ad.

On a side note, siesmic activity monitors in the desert have confirmed absence of activity and the temp in the earth's core is rapidly cooling. Scientists deduce that hell has indeed frozen over.....

Members don't see this ad :)
well.....I have a friend who is a pa/np who used to be an rn. he went to pa school then decided he needed his np to have better rx writing in his state(this was A LONG time ago). he had to take 1 class in nursing theory and attend no clinicals.don't know if this option exists anymore. he challenged every single course and passed everything without studying.
the only reason to get your np if already a pa would be if your state prefers np's and there is no way for you to ever move. with the 3 yr bs to np option you might as well just get your md because you would not add anything to your clinical experience by adding the np, just a lot of nursing theory

emedpa said:
well.....I have a friend who is a pa/np who used to be an rn. he went to pa school then decided he needed his np to have better rx writing in his state(this was A LONG time ago). he had to take 1 class in nursing theory and attend no clinicals.don't know if this option exists anymore. he challenged every single course and passed everything without studying.
the only reason to get your np if already a pa would be if your state prefers np's and there is no way for you to ever move. with the 3 yr bs to np option you might as well just get your md because you would not add anything to your clinical experience by adding the np, just a lot of nursing theory

Agreed. There is no other reason I can think of to do this. If the DNP thing ever takes off, I will be "buying" one of those too :laugh:
If you did one, why would you do the other? I mean this both ways, NP to PA, PA to NP.

Pat, RN, PA-C, MPAS

hospPA said:
Agreed. There is no other reason I can think of to do this. If the DNP thing ever takes off, I will be "buying" one of those too :laugh:
If you did one, why would you do the other? I mean this both ways, NP to PA, PA to NP.]
Look, in CA most schools offer combined NP/PA to those with RN. Any PA can get an RN thru Excelsior. Then, find a willing NP school. I would say in about a year, you can become an NP. Then again, don't you treasure you sanity. Do you really want to hang around nurses?

Gee, and people wonder why there's tension between nurses and PAs. :rolleyes:

fab4fan said:
Gee, and people wonder why there's tension between nurses and PAs. :rolleyes:

How is saying that one would likely not benefit much from going to NP from PA or vice versa? Other than favorable treatment on a state by state basis, I can see no other reason.

As for the DNP, if the AACN somehow gets there wish of full, unadulterated independence (doubt it will ever happen), it may benefit PA's who have a BSN (like myself) to pursue one in order to obtain less practice restrictions.

"Buy" in the context that I meant it means to obtain an acredited degree with little to no "in-person" time at that university in less than the traditional amount of time it takes to obtain said degree. So, a Masters in less than 2 years full-time, a doctorate in less than 2 years full-time after a masters, a bachelor's in less than 4 years full-time, etc. Unfortunately for the nursing profession, there are many ways to get "fast" nursing degrees. Other professions are guilty of this as well. Thankfully, not PA yet (I hope never).

Thanks,

Pat

hospPA said:
"Buy" in the context that I meant it means to obtain an acredited degree with little to no "in-person" time at that university in less than the traditional amount of time it takes to obtain said degree. So, a Masters in less than 2 years full-time, a doctorate in less than 2 years full-time after a masters, a bachelor's in less than 4 years full-time, etc. Unfortunately for the nursing profession, there are many ways to get "fast" nursing degrees. Other professions are guilty of this as well. Thankfully, not PA yet (I hope never).

Thanks,

Pat

that's wishful thinking Pat, the time has already come for the "fast" PA degrees.... here are a couple of online PA programs and PA programs that can be done in less than two years (15 months to be exact).......

http://pcap.stanford.edu/program/#description

http://www.med.und.nodak.edu/depts/fammed/PA/Master.htm

.......I have a PA friend that is heavily envolved with AAPA and says that the shorter programs and online programs for PA's is a thing of the future. There are a few more PA programs (three that I know of) that are about to switch to the online option.

You really need to look at what you cite, before you cite it.

The stanford program, is 15 months, of intensive training, notice the prerequisite is 3,000 hours of experience as a nurse, or medic. Up until this year, it was 10,000 I think they lowered it a lot recently, or I might have applied.

The North Dakota is similar, 4 years of full time RN licensure ~8-10,000 hours. And it's 20 months! Plus a BS or BN (no AA or certificate degrees allowed)

With 1/5 the experience, an RN can take an online course at their leisure for a year to get the FNP, not spend a day in the classroom, and not have a BS.........

You try to make a good argument but you failed at it.

Congrats -you Just Identified The 2 Worst Pa Programs In The Country. Stanford Is Really Foothill Community College And Und Only Takes Nurses So It Really Is Just Another Np Program.....

adamdowannabe
you really are just a wannabe.

FNP2B said:
that's wishful thinking Pat, the time has already come for the "fast" PA degrees.... here are a couple of online PA programs and PA programs that can be done in less than two years (15 months to be exact).......

http://pcap.stanford.edu/program/#description

http://www.med.und.nodak.edu/depts/fammed/PA/Master.htm

.......I have a PA friend that is heavily envolved with AAPA and says that the shorter programs and online programs for PA's is a thing of the future. There are a few more PA programs (three that I know of) that are about to switch to the online option.

These two programs exist, and as EMED said, they are the two least reputable of the 132 out there. I cannot believe Stanford lets them use the name!

NO, online PA programs are not the thing of the future. PA school is intensive, at least two year, full-time schooling, with one year of intensive, 2000+ hour clinical time. I cannot see how you could effectively do this all online. You also cannot do the NP thing effectively online. It is all garbage and a disgrace to our professions. I do think certain areas of study lend themselves to online, but not hands on areas like nursing and medicine.

Anything to make a buck, I guess :thumbdown:

Pat

I think we all know that after your doctorwoctor thing, you are somehow a very juvenile nurse, if you are a nurse at all. Do you settle your issues by offering to "take this outside" and getting physical. It really is enough. You could be better to use your energy aimed at antagonizing people, towards something constructive, like trying to "get a life" I have been told, if you look hard enough, you can usually find one.

Were you the kid in highschool that everyone wanted to be like? The cool kid, that never got over themselves and grew up like everyone else? It's OK, you'll get over the fact that you aren't MR. popular anymore.

thanks for everyone's help...the reason I asked is because I want to eventually open a clinic for the underserved and I was looking for a backup plan in the event that I could not find an MD to work in my clinic and "supervise" me...but to be honest, I dont really know much about NP either...can NP's have their own practice without an MD there? Anyone have any ideas on how I could go about this? Or opinions as to whether I could find a group of MDs to practice medicine at my clinic? And please do not think in anyway I am trying to become an independent practioner or I am trying to undermine the PA profession, I love my profession and I am very happy as a midlevel practitioner, it has just been a dream of mine to help the underserved...Any ideas or (positive!) comments would be greatly appreciated! Thanks again!

PAJenn,

I'm sure it's not lost on you that if you just become a physician, you can still help the underserved (and there are loan repayment programs and scholarships for this). You'll avoid the hassles that you stated and you'll be more capable in providing care (and even a wider range of care). Anyways, you probably have your reasons. You should really check with the state you want to practice in since it varies for both PAs and NPs. I'm might be able to operate without a physician physically in the building even if you are a PA. You would just have to set up an arrangement whereby a physician comes in and reviews the necessary amount of charts required in your particular state (could be each week or each month?) and perhaps a means of reaching a physician by phone at the least. Again, just check with your state regulations regarding PA practice.

Helping the underserved is a passion of mine also, and I think we need more clinics like Volunteers in Medicine out there. There was a recent article in AAPA News about how valuable PAs are in underserved clinics. I know it can take a while to get something like that started...it costs a lot of money and involves politics. You probably need at least a couple docs to help get it started. What a great idea though...good luck! :)

hospPA said:
If you did one, why would you do the other? I mean this both ways, NP to PA, PA to NP.

Pat, RN, PA-C, MPAS

Next thing you know they'll have DPA!

raptor5 said:

maybe a PhD, but not clinical. that would be a MD. in laymans terms PA's were made to "assist". alot of them are associates, but even I as a pre-PA i would not follow a DPA route as it would undermine the whole reason i want to be a PA. I would not want to be a independent practioner without a MD or DO degree, anything less is unsuitable. i know that alot of PA's would not want a DPA, but rather a PA to MD bridge program. a 2 yr program and then a regular residency. so it would still be 4 yrs (2PA + 2 Med school) plus a regular residency 3+ yrs. i wouldnt mind doing that if i found myself wanting more autonomy in my position.

raptor5 said:

I really doubt it. Med school is a DPA! There are many PA's who get terminal degrees, but these are in business, education, law, etc. Being a doctor PA would make no sense. It will never happen or we would lose the MD/DO relationship that has worked and continues to work well for our profession.

I could see a slightly shorter med school path for experienced PA's happening someday, but never a doctor PA.

Pat, RN, PA-C, MPAS

RAMPA said:
maybe a PhD, but not clinical. that would be a MD. in laymans terms PA's were made to "assist". alot of them are associates, but even I as a pre-PA i would not follow a DPA route as it would undermine the whole reason i want to be a PA. I would not want to be a independent practioner without a MD or DO degree, anything less is unsuitable. i know that alot of PA's would not want a DPA, but rather a PA to MD bridge program. a 2 yr program and then a regular residency. so it would still be 4 yrs (2PA + 2 Med school) plus a regular residency 3+ yrs. i wouldnt mind doing that if i found myself wanting more autonomy in my position.

It was a joke!

raptor5 said:
It was a joke!

sorry. :confused:

im a lil confused at times! gotta stop eatin chicken with ice cream. :laugh: