PA to Physician

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Dude, you have obviously just been released from some halfway house to dredge up a post that was started by me when I had a different screenname, and before I left the PA world for medical school. Hell, I graduate next year....where have you been friend? :)

Members don't see this ad.

PactoDoc,

Did you ever write a comparison/contrast of your PA school to the DO program?

I've read all the posts in this thread thinking it would have a nice tidy epilouge.

thehealingart04 said:
PactoDoc,

Did you ever write a comparison/contrast of your PA school to the DO program?

I've read all the posts in this thread thinking it would have a nice tidy epilouge.

Take a look at my website, a partner site of SDN.
It is listed below and the site has many journal entries about this subject.

Thx,

Matt

Members don't see this ad :)
I just finished reading this thread and wondered if PAC Matt was still out there and would like to share with us his findings on D.O. school compared with PA school. (Out of morbid curiosity)

i'm a 2nd yr DO ER resident in NYC. Funny to read all this comments in the internet. Nobody gives a crap at my hospital about title (maybe cause we're all over worked). Most of the bickering is between the specialties.... like the surgery department who gives me a hard time trying to get a consult (including the PA!!!!). The team concept is true to the core at my hospital, example is when i was doing ortho rotation, me (a DO), the DPM residents, the MD attendings, the ortho PA,we see, round, discuss and treat all the patients and we work together. If i had a question, i didn't have any hesitation to ask the DPMs, the PAs and vice versa. I'm pretty sure out in practice this sort of physician vs PA debate is non existance or very minimal. As far as the title PA as Physician Assistant, i don't see anything wrong with it. It lets people, patients and colleagues know that you are already trained and finished your education necessary to do your work. A PA title is respectable just like mine, DO. Changing the title to Associate or extender in my opinion would bellitle the struggle the older PAs had to endure to get the profession to where it is today. Just like some DO tried to change our title to something like MDO or MD-Osteopathic.......please. For the med students, definitely be proud first of all in getting into medical school and going thru it. Same for the PA students. Last thing, the only people credible to talk about the difference of med school education vs PA school is a PA who went back to med school and have experience both. Sorry about the long reply, trying to stay awake after a crazy trauma night (damn NYC snow storm). Anyway, 6:56 am, about to round on the trauma patients....... with the damn surgeons.

i'm a 2nd yr DO ER resident in NYC. Funny to read all this comments in the internet. Nobody gives a crap at my hospital about title (maybe cause we're all over worked). Most of the bickering is between the specialties.... like the surgery department who gives me a hard time trying to get a consult (including the PA!!!!). The team concept is true to the core at my hospital, example is when i was doing ortho rotation, me (a DO), the DPM residents, the MD attendings, the ortho PA,we see, round, discuss and treat all the patients and we work together. If i had a question, i didn't have any hesitation to ask the DPMs, the PAs and vice versa. I'm pretty sure out in practice this sort of physician vs PA debate is non existance or very minimal. As far as the title PA as Physician Assistant, i don't see anything wrong with it. It lets people, patients and colleagues know that you are already trained and finished your education necessary to do your work. A PA title is respectable just like mine, DO. Changing the title to Associate or extender in my opinion would bellitle the struggle the older PAs had to endure to get the profession to where it is today. Just like some DO tried to change our title to something like MDO or MD-Osteopathic.......please. For the med students, definitely be proud first of all in getting into medical school and going thru it. Same for the PA students. Last thing, the only people credible to talk about the difference of med school education vs PA school is a PA who went back to med school and have experience both. Sorry about the long reply, trying to stay awake after a crazy trauma night (damn NYC snow storm). Anyway, 6:56 am, about to round on the trauma patients....... with the damn surgeons.

Umm I think you need to look at the background. What the OP was asking about was the difference in EDUCATION. This was about a PA that had gone to DO school and the differences in education and percieved advantages or disadvantages from prior PA experience.

David Carpenter, PA-C

Talk about a flash back in time. I was actually the OP on this thread. That was back when I was way more bitter and way less overworked than I am now as a resident. I love being a physician and would not trade it. Nor would I trade the experiences of being a PA, as it allowed me to do very well in med school and on all boards and shelf exams. yes, it was somewhat humbling, but for different reasons than one would think. The bottom line is that I was a lot younger, more immature, and too fresh out of the military to bite my tongue back then. I still have a tendency to insert my foot in my mouth, but way less so through my last half decade. Just for the guy who asked, yes, I did graduate 2nd in my med school class, and score top 5% on all boards and shelf exams, but no, I don't think it came all that easily. It came easier being a PA, but I think in the end, how you do as a student in any profession will define how you do as a student in medicine afterward. I can't stay on this thread any longer because reading all my old posts has me slightly embarassed!!:oops: