PA undergrad degree/pre reqs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PAoneday

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am a junior right now, looking to possibly enter PA school upon graduation. I was originally a Biology major (B.S.) and found that I just wasn't interested in all of the classes my school wants me to have for that degree. The two organic chems/upper level plant/botany classes just aren't my favs...I'm considering switching over to the general science degree, which allows me more freedom to take the human anatomy phys.'s reqd. and medical micro, etc. I guess what my question is here, have any of you successfully gained entry into PA school with a degree in a different/similar concentration, and do you think schools that do not have organic chem/physics listed as pre req's would look down on me for not having the biology degree? Am I making a mistake by thinking that you HAVE to have a bio degree to gain entry to a PA school?

It may be of interest to know that I have straight A's in all of my previous science work (2 gen bio's, and chemistrys) and hold an overall 3.8 GPA.

Sorry for being long winded!

Thanks!

-Jason

Members don't see this ad.

schools don't care what you degree is in as long as you get all the prereqs done.
my degree was anthro-no problem.
work on getting some health care experience like emt, cna, ma, etc as this is just as important as gpa/gre, more important at some programs.
also check www.aapa.org and www.physicianassistantforum.com.

Members don't see this ad :)
..contact your sch of interest to ensure you've taken the appropriate pre-req. good luck.

A large portion of the schools will require at least one semester of organic chemistry and some require a full year. A few even require biochemistry. I'd highly recommend taking organic chemistry.

Make sure to check out the websites of schools you are interested.

Most people major in biology because it is the easiest. Our biology degree allows me to take all the prerequisites for school and somehow end up with a bachelors degree in biology. However, I think it will be looked favorably upon to have a unique major.

Oh and like said - get the CNA or EMT-B certification to get those hands on patient care experience.

My degree was also anthro. My school also requires organic I and II. The pearl here is what Lauren said; different schools have different requirements. Make sure you qualify before you apply....

Major in something that interests you. Major in something you could put towards a career if you do not gain admissions to PA school or if, after a few years of practice, you realise medicine as a PA is not for you.While a biology major might make your seem like a stronger science candidate I think it makes you a weaker employent candidate later on.

What schools do not require those pre-reqs? Let me know, I would be interested in knowing for sure. I know the one PA school in Canada does not have any requirements except 2 years of University and 3.0 GPA.

Cornell only requires 1 yr bio, 1 yr chem, and 1 semester microbio.

U of Washington (medex) requires:

• 10 quarter (6 semester) credits in human Anatomy and Physiology (preferred with in the last 5 years) minimum GPA 2.7 (B-)
  • 15 quarter (9 semester) credits in other medically related sciences, i.e. biology, microbiology, chemistry. Minimum GPA 2.7 (B-)

Wow, I thought most of the schools would be looking for pre-med prereqs and such. These schools must require like a 3.7 to even be looked at then, there must be a catch.

Wow, I thought most of the schools would be looking for pre-med prereqs and such. These schools must require like a 3.7 to even be looked at then, there must be a catch.

the "catch" is medical experience.
UW/medex accepted students average 4+ yrs as a paramedic/rn/rt before application....to even meet the min requirement to apply(which will not get you in) you need 4000 hrs of high level direct paid pt care experience.....

What schools do not require those pre-reqs? Let me know, I would be interested in knowing for sure. I know the one PA school in Canada does not have any requirements except 2 years of University and 3.0 GPA.

grads of this program in canada are not eligible to be licensed in the u.s. at this point....

Thats a pretty good catch. I think that the experience factor should be bigger at all schools.