Pacific University, Oregon

Started by esteb
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

esteb

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi Everyone,

I am so excited!!!! I will be attending Pacific University this fall. My dream has finally come true. I just want to encourage everyone not to give up...i've been waiting a long time for this very moment to happen. Now, I will become a Doctor of Pharmacy!!! I look forward to the beginning of a new chapter in my life. YEAAH!!! :laugh:
 
esteb said:
Hi Everyone,

I am so excited!!!! I will be attending Pacific University this fall. My dream has finally come true. I just want to encourage everyone not to give up...i've been waiting a long time for this very moment to happen. Now, I will become a Doctor of Pharmacy!!! I look forward to the beginning of a new chapter in my life. YEAAH!!! :laugh:

hey, you took my spot....Congrats, Im #13 at Pacific and can only imagine what I would do if they called. I probably won't get in this year, but maybe I'll see ya around next year...now go celebrate!!
 
what kind of stats did you guys have? i'm thinking of applying there for 2007.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
esteb said:
Hi Everyone,

I am so excited!!!! I will be attending Pacific University this fall. My dream has finally come true. I just want to encourage everyone not to give up...i've been waiting a long time for this very moment to happen. Now, I will become a Doctor of Pharmacy!!! I look forward to the beginning of a new chapter in my life. YEAAH!!! :laugh:

Congrats!

This school is one of my choices
Have a great experience
 
same question as bsps.

i'm really curious about what type of applicant they are looking for. i think i have decent numbers...but not so sure about the pharmacy experience. this is where i want to go!!
 
Pharm47 said:
same question as bsps.

i'm really curious about what type of applicant they are looking for. i think i have decent numbers...but not so sure about the pharmacy experience. this is where i want to go!!

I talked to a PU counselor not too long ago, and she that minimum of 40 hours in pharmacy is required.
 
Pacific...but I'm from Oregon! I kind of like the rain 🙂
 
HABANERO4ME said:
why? ok, what if you are not oregonean.

Are you choosing between the two, or just curious? I heard Pacific modeled their program after USN. If this is the case, the main differences would be the location and people present. Rain or heat - take your pick!
 
Well, what you mean by the people, I got accepted to both school. dotn know where to go..how is the living cost for forrest grove?
 
HABANERO4ME said:
Well, what you mean by the people, I got accepted to both school. dotn know where to go..how is the living cost for forrest grove?

Well the pharmacy program will actually be at the new campus in Hillsboro, which is a close suburb of Portland. There is a MAX light-rail stop right at the campus, to you could choose to live anywhere from Hillsboro to East Portland and get by commuting on mass transit. As far as living expenses, not too bad in Portland (depending on where). I bought a house after undergrad, and while prices have increased a bit since then, it wasn't too terrible. My guess is you could rent a nice apt/cond in Beaverton (close to Hillsboro, but nicer) for 500-1000/month, depending on what you're looking for. Look around on portland.craigslist.com and you can get a good idea of housing costs.
 
esteb said:
Hi Everyone,

I am so excited!!!! I will be attending Pacific University this fall. My dream has finally come true. I just want to encourage everyone not to give up...i've been waiting a long time for this very moment to happen. Now, I will become a Doctor of Pharmacy!!! I look forward to the beginning of a new chapter in my life. YEAAH!!! :laugh:

Congrats.... Pacific University is really good.Everyone who has interviewed at Pacific University will agree to that.

I am # 17 on their waiting list........ Does not look good.... 🙁

Best of luck to you.
 
Pharm47 said:
Well the pharmacy program will actually be at the new campus in Hillsboro, which is a close suburb of Portland. There is a MAX light-rail stop right at the campus, to you could choose to live anywhere from Hillsboro to East Portland and get by commuting on mass transit. As far as living expenses, not too bad in Portland (depending on where). I bought a house after undergrad, and while prices have increased a bit since then, it wasn't too terrible. My guess is you could rent a nice apt/cond in Beaverton (close to Hillsboro, but nicer) for 500-1000/month, depending on what you're looking for. Look around on portland.craigslist.com and you can get a good idea of housing costs.

May I ask how much you bought you house for?
I've heard that some students take up higher amount in loans(private) and buy a house in Nevda and pay mortgage.
do you think that's possible in hillsboro?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
ItsAboutTime said:
Congrats.... Pacific University is really good.Everyone who has interviewed at Pacific University will agree to that.

I am # 17 on their waiting list........ Does not look good.... 🙁

Best of luck to you.

I'm turning Pacific down ... so good luck to 1 alternate
 
I accepted the offer of admission and paid my $300 deposit back in January. Can I retract my acceptance per e-mail or do I have to send them a certified letter. (I don't want to waste money anymore 😉 ) and I know I'm not geting the deposit back.
 
HABANERO4ME said:
why? ok, what if you are not oregonean.

that is kind of a no brainer. Pacific is not accredited yet and USN is. YOu should probably go with USN
 
I hope that everyone will be able to find the school that best fits their needs. I know that the school is not accredited, but since Pacific University has a solid foundation and well established in other health care related fields, as well as an undergraduate program, there should be no problems. Much like UCSD, Loma Linda, Touro University...they were all unaccredited at one point...but now they're very excellent programs.
 
HABANERO4ME said:
I kinda like the enviroment in oregon. too bad they are not accredited yet.

but they've been around forever. I work with a Pharmacist who graduated from there.

Are they not up to standards?
 
Maestrojo said:
but they've been around forever. I work with a Pharmacist who graduated from there.

Are they not up to standards?
i thought pacific university was a brand-new pharmacy school - as in, no graduating class of pharmacists yet...?
 
Maestrojo said:
but they've been around forever. I work with a Pharmacist who graduated from there.

Are they not up to standards?

you are talking about UOP, university of pacific, in stockton, california.
there is another school in hillsboro, oregon called Pacific University.
 
ForeverPharm said:
May I ask how much you bought you house for?
I've heard that some students take up higher amount in loans(private) and buy a house in Nevda and pay mortgage.
do you think that's possible in hillsboro?

it was around 140K, but that was before the big housing boom. i'm married, so my husband and i can both work (for now) in order to pay the mortgage. things will be tough when i have to quit to go to school, but hopefully we'll be ok. my house is in SE portland, but i think you should be able to get something similar in hillsboro or beaverton, for a price close, although maybe a bit higher. i would consider a condo, except i have two huge dogs!
 
Hey...i was reading about the housing market in portland/hillsboro. If you want a cheaper house, you can definetly find one in se portland. In hillsboro, it is quite higher than it was before the housing boom. My brother just bought one in hillsboro, and it is considered quite a bargain @ $225K for a 3bed/2ba home with ~1400sf. So if you're looking for a home in Hillsboro, expect to pay ~$245k +/- 15K now for a nice looking one. just a heads up for those planning to buy a house.
Good luck guys...
 
So I've been volunteering at a hospital for over a year, and here's the response I got when I asked the pharmacy department if I could arrange a pharmacist shadow:

"Sorry for the delay in answering your email. We don't really have the opportunity for volunteer shadowing in Pharmacy. This is a requirement for admission to Pacific University, and we have been inundated with calls from students, so have had to put the lid on it."

Good job Pacific. 👎
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Pharm47 said:
So I've been volunteering at a hospital for over a year, and here's the response I got when I asked the pharmacy department if I could arrange a pharmacist shadow:

"Sorry for the delay in answering your email. We don't really have the opportunity for volunteer shadowing in Pharmacy. This is a requirement for admission to Pacific University, and we have been inundated with calls from students, so have had to put the lid on it."

Good job Pacific. 👎

There are other options. Why don't you try going to more than 1 pharmacy.
 
HABANERO4ME said:
between USN and pacific univ what would you choose?

Why are you debating this decision, USN is accredited and Pacific is not. Everyone thinks the accreditation process is easy. School's is hard enough without the thought of going to school and paying for 3 years and then not having anything to show for it. I’m not saying that Pacific is not going to get accredited but if you have a choice between a school that is accredited why would you even think about going to a school that is not accredited. Did you not hear about students who went to an unaccredited school in Hawaii and now the school is closed. I’m not saying that Pacific is going to be the same but why take that chance.
 
bsps_2007 said:
what kind of stats did you guys have? i'm thinking of applying there for 2007.
My stats are pretty modest. 2.9 Overall, but my prereqs & last 45 units (all 3 they ask for in the application) are ~3.5. Shadowing ~50 hours, played football & coach youth sports. Dont have a Bachlors & took most classes at a JC.
 
ForeverPharm said:
you are talking about UOP, university of pacific, in stockton, california.
there is another school in hillsboro, oregon called Pacific University.

Ok little mix up there.
 
cal state said:
Why are you debating this decision, USN is accredited and Pacific is not. Everyone thinks the accreditation process is easy. School's is hard enough without the thought of going to school and paying for 3 years and then not having anything to show for it. I’m not saying that Pacific is not going to get accredited but if you have a choice between a school that is accredited why would you even think about going to a school that is not accredited. Did you not hear about students who went to an unaccredited school in Hawaii and now the school is closed. I’m not saying that Pacific is going to be the same but why take that chance.

Doh!, I can think of plenty of reasons why it makes sense for him to debate this decision. The first reason that comes to mind is cost. USN has been in existence for "slightly" over 5 years and so has graduated a class and gained ACPE accreditation for its PharmD program. However, USN is a "stand alone" school and not accredited by a regional accreditation body so cannot participate in the Stafford loan program (I hear they're working on it). Unless you are "of means", you must apply for private loans with variable interest rates (which are going up!) for the entirety of your cost of attendence. Over a period of 10 or greater years this will amount to many thousands more in interest payments.

Pacific is a regionally accredited and well respected private university that has been around for 157 years, making it the second oldest university west of the Mississippi river. It has several graduate programs in the health sciences that have been successfully implemented and run for decades. Pacific doesn't have to worry about scraping together start up money or defaulting on loans, its Trust is worth tens of millions of dollars. In short, Pacific won't have any trouble gaining ACPE accreditation.

Of course, if you like getting corn holed by lenders and living in the desert, hey..."Vegas is calling baby!"
 
The accreditation process is not as easy as you think. I know that Pacific University has been around for a long time but doing the necessary things to get accrediated is not a walk in the park and it’s not a guarantee as you would suggest. There is a shortage of pharmacists in the country but there is a bigger shortage in professors for pharmacy schools. Going to USN might be more expensive but guess what in three years you can say you’re a pharmacist. Going to an unaccredited school such as Pacific and St. John’s in New York you Might become a pharmacist if they get accredited. Like I said before I’m not saying these school are not going to get accredited but IF you have the choice why get boggled down with the stress because pharmacy school is going to be stressful enough.
 
BiOGoly said:
Pacific is a regionally accredited and well respected private university that has been around for 157 years, making it the second oldest university west of the Mississippi river. It has several graduate programs in the health sciences that have been successfully implemented and run for decades. Pacific doesn't have to worry about scraping together start up money or defaulting on loans, its Trust is worth tens of millions of dollars. In short, Pacific won't have any trouble gaining ACPE accreditation.
Although Pacific U has been around for awhile and has other programs; accreditation is NOT definate. Choosing between an accreditted and a nonaccreditted school is a complete no-brainer.
 
In last 15 days, the Pacific University Waitlist has moved like 10 places for me.I have started to feel hopeful now.Any one else feels the same way ?

Any one with multiple acceptances still debating about Pacific University or planning to reject Pacific University ? 😳
 
Shakeitfast said:
Sweet, you must have talked to Vanessa cause as of tonight Im down to #10!


Shakeitfast, you must be real close now........Hope you hear the good news soon.......
 
I'm definitely applying to PacificU for fall 2007. I'm just curious for those of you who were accepted what your stats look like. It would be awesome if some of you shared... 😳

I'd just kinda like to get an idea of what the applicant pool looks like.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
ItsAboutTime said:
Shakeitfast, you must be real close now........Hope you hear the good news soon.......
#3 baby....lets have it drop enough to get both of us in, it would suck to end up so close & have to reapply next year. I'll def post if I hear any good news
 
i.<3.pharmacy said:
I'm definitely applying to PacificU for fall 2007. I'm just curious for those of you who were accepted what your stats look like. It would be awesome if some of you shared... 😳

I'd just kinda like to get an idea of what the applicant pool looks like.
Good idea to apply there, 3 years with summers off if you pass all the classes cant be beat. Anyways, heres some info, hope this helps!

Demographics – 33 women, 33 men, from Arizona, California, Hawaii, Minnesota, Nevada, Oregon, South Carolina, Texas, Utah, Washington – born in The United States, Brazil, Cambodia, Cameroon, Germany, Indonesia, Iran, Nigeria, The Phillipines, Romania, South Korea and Vietnam. The average GPA (in all three categories) is a 3.4, and approximately 80% have their bachelors degree, or will have it by the time they enroll (this compares to a national average of 43%). As you know, there were over 500 applicants.

Admissions Process -- Student interest is already building strong for the 2007 year. We will have 84 seats available next year, and are anticipating around 800 applications. We increased our minimum GPA to 2.7, and moved up the priority application deadline to October 1st
 
Shakeitfast said:
#3 baby....lets have it drop enough to get both of us in, it would suck to end up so close & have to reapply next year. I'll def post if I hear any good news

Wow, good luck. 2 more to go!!
 
Shakeitfast said:
Good idea to apply there, 3 years with summers off if you pass all the classes cant be beat. Anyways, heres some info, hope this helps!

Demographics – 33 women, 33 men, from Arizona, California, Hawaii, Minnesota, Nevada, Oregon, South Carolina, Texas, Utah, Washington – born in The United States, Brazil, Cambodia, Cameroon, Germany, Indonesia, Iran, Nigeria, The Phillipines, Romania, South Korea and Vietnam. The average GPA (in all three categories) is a 3.4, and approximately 80% have their bachelors degree, or will have it by the time they enroll (this compares to a national average of 43%). As you know, there were over 500 applicants.

Admissions Process -- Student interest is already building strong for the 2007 year. We will have 84 seats available next year, and are anticipating around 800 applications. We increased our minimum GPA to 2.7, and moved up the priority application deadline to October 1st


Awesome! Thanks for the info! 😀
 
With the application coming out in August, and the priority deadline Oct 1, does that leave enough time to get recommendations? At that busy time of year, it seems like its a lot to ask of a recommender - to get the form in the mail, fill it out ASAP, and return it to us. All of this in time to get the whole packet in the mail by the end of September. Anyone else concerned about this? I've ordered copies of my transcripts early, but without the application, I can't get started on the recs. Anyone with advice? 🙁